ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Pro4 Boot Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbcdickmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Pro4 Boot Issues
    Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 1:04pm
I'm building a new machine after an older one finally died.

- ASRock AB350 Pro4 AM4 AMD
- AMD RYZEN 1300X 4-Core 3.5 GHz Socket AM4
- G.SKILL FORTIS Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2400 (F4-2400C15D-16GFT)
- Crucial MX300 2.5" 275GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal SSD
- EVGA GeForce GT 730 DirectX 12 02G-P3-1733-KR 2GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x8 Video Card

I also have a couple 1 TB WD SATA drives and a wireless LAN card, but haven't connected those yet. Case is a COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP.

Now that I've set everything up, I can't get it to boot.

The fans (including the CPU cooler) will all spin, the case lights all turn on, but my monitor remains black. It's an older monitor, but I've checked that the DVI cable is working just fine. The monitor had no issues two weeks ago with my old machine, until it finally crapped out.

- RAM is installed in A2 and B2 slots currently, but I've tried A1 and B1, or putting a single stick in each slot, one at a time. Nothing.
- I've tried disconnecting everything except the power supply, video card, CPU, and RAM. Nothing.
- I removed the CPU, checked all the pins, reapplied thermal paste, and reinstalled it and the cooler. Nothing.
- Reset CMOS. Nothing.

Am I missing anything?

Edited by sbcdickmann - 25 Jan 2018 at 1:50pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 2:34am
both 24pin board power and the 8 pin cpu/eps power connected ?

you dont state your power supply so we cant check
but it has the 8 pin cpu/eps and not an old 4 pin ?
also check its the cpu/eps and not the pcie power plugged in the board
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
sbcdickmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbcdickmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 10:04pm
Thanks so much for responding. Sorry about the delay; I've had a couple straight packed days at work.

Power Supply is a Thermaltake TR2 600W.

It's an 8-pin connector, and both the 8-pin and the 24-pin connectors are attached. It's definitely the CPS/EPU 8-pin that's plugged in. I don't have any of the PCI-E connectors attached.

Here are some pictures I took: https://imgur.com/a/K9WCn.

The blue LED on the front of the case comes on, the front case fan spins up, both the CPU cooler and the rear case fan spin up, and I can hear the CPU fan changing speeds slightly if I leave it powered up for 1-2 minutes straight. However, with the DVI cable attached, the monitor just displays "No input", and then it goes into sleep mode. If I unplug the DVI cable, the monitor displays "No DVI-D cable" with a screen saver.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the help.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 10:51pm
do you have a hdmi output on the card ?

try that into a tv if your monitor doesnt support hdmi

and leave it to boot for 5 mins

the first boot can take ages on a new ryzen system

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbcdickmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 12:54am
The video card has HDMI output.

I connected my TV via an HDMI cable (cable and TV both confirmed to be working with our DVD player), and again there is nothing after I boot the machine. The TV acts like there's no input.

I tried letting the machine boot for about 15 minutes without touching it, and nothing ever showed up on the monitor. Otherwise, everything's the same. My DVD will spin up, fans power up, lights come on, but no display.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 1:09am
disconnect anything not required to boot to bios

eg hard drives etc
just one stick in slot a2 remove cmos battery for 30 mins with power lead unplugged and then try restart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbcdickmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:58am
I unplugged everything, pulled the battery, switched the CMOS jumper to the two pins on the right, and then held the power switch down for 15 seconds. After that, I let the whole thing sit for 45 minutes.

I put the battery back in, switched the CMOS jumper back to the first two pins (as seen in this photo: https://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/AB350%20Pro4(L3).png), connected the 8-pin and 24-pin connectors, the front case power switch and LED to the pins in the bottom right, the one memory stick in A2 (confirmed that both ends clicked into place), the CPU cooler, and the video card in the PCI-E slot with the DVI-D cable attached.

I then let it boot for 5 minutes. The cooler fan came on and the front LED came on, but nothing on the screen the entire time.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:14am
well im afraid to say

you have tried above and beyond

only thing left seems to point to total refusal of the board to work with your ram model (possible)
or a dead board im afraid

can you beg/borrow/steal another brand of ram to try ?

edit

one other thing ,you say the last system crapped itself ?

is this the power supply from the last system ?

if so either try another if possible ,or test this one in another pc ?

i had a system in two weeks ago worked fine when it was using a gtx750ti but wouldnt display graphics with the gtx960 (i had tested the 960 for an hour or two on heavy benches so knew it to be good)

turned out the corsair 750m psu was dropping out on that extra load (and its not that much greater load on a 750w psu)
fitted a new psu system was rock stable again

the bit that annoyed me was i had tested the old psu as first suspect with a proper thermaltake psu tester and it passed the tests fine Angry

Edited by datonyb - 28 Jan 2018 at 8:20am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbcdickmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:01am
I'm going to take it to a local repair shop tomorrow and see if they can test with some other RAM, a different video card, and a new power supply. That way I can figure out whether I just need a new mobo, or if I need to return the RAM and get a different set, or what.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it, and I'll let you know how this turns out.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:45am
Originally posted by sbcdickmann sbcdickmann wrote:

I'm going to take it to a local repair shop tomorrow and see if they can test with some other RAM, a different video card, and a new power supply. That way I can figure out whether I just need a new mobo, or if I need to return the RAM and get a different set, or what.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it, and I'll let you know how this turns out.

sounds like the best plan

if you could update this thread with the final result it would be a great help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic