ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Raven Ridge BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Raven Ridge BIOS
    Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:10am
I picked up a ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX motherboard last month in anticipation of the Raven Ridge 2400G launch. Sticker on the BIOS is P3.10. Will this work with the Raven Ridge or will I need to borrow a Ryzen CPU and update first?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:12am
officially it needs the later bios

allthough it may very well boot to bios with the new one on old bios
the onboard graphics may not work though so you may need a seperate graphics card to flash the bios
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 4:26am
Whoops. I did not realise that RR APU needed a later BIOS than 3.10.......
So does that mean the BIOS trail 3.4,3.6, through to latest?
I failed to pick this up anywhere although I realise there will be incremental advantages I thought it would at least boot and get some graphices output....on say 3.10
ASRock X370-ITX BIOS 4.50
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 2933
960Evo M.2 256GB, Firecuda 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
G-Unique Archdaemon 300 Watt
Lian-li Q21B
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 5:48am
no-one really knows

it may allow the apu to display graphics via the mainboard with early bios
im edging towards the good chance of a bios boot with the apu's as its based off a ryzen core (more or less)

but im far less certain the older bios can or will use the gpu

but hey theres a chance as they were using the old FX apus glued on an am4 pin out Smile

until we see a few real world tests trying it we wont know

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
hurtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 10:41am
Here is the reply I got from tech support:

To support Raven CPU the BIOS must be 4.xx to get it to post.

If BIOS is 3.xx, mainboard must in using Bristol Ridge or Summit Ridge (with GPU installed) to get it post and able to update the BIOS.

If you have above mentioned CPU that you can download and update the BIOS link below.

Otherwise, mainboard must be returned to update the BIOS to support Raven CPU since board was released before this CPU.

BIOS download link: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20AB350%20Gaming-ITXac/index.asp#BIOS

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 3:46pm
Thanks for sharing the info hurtz. 

Your options are not great but here goes.

1. You can take the board in to a store/repair shop and get them to install a compatible CPU then flash to the correct version for you.

2. You can send the board back and get it done at your place of purchase.

3. You can pick up a cheap compatible CPU to use for the flashing process (something like an A6 series APU for $50 or less) if this works out cheaper than options 1 or 2. 

This is the down side to new CPUs being released for existing boards. I and many others had hoped that we would see the usual AMD convention of the CPU allowing post but requiring an update to be recognized properly. This was not possible with the Ryzen APUs however due to more major architectural differences on the die. The new APUs are significantly different from standard Ryzen CPUs, they have only a single CCX and in place of the second CCX there is a graphics module. This changes the voltage requirements and other factors making it incompatible with standard Ryzen CPU support. 

Good luck Wink
hurtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 12:11am
Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all upset by this. In fact I expected this might be an issue and personally enjoy these types of challenges. I'm thrilled that this socket will not only support the Raven Ridge but also Ryzen 2.

I'm picking up a A6 APU for flashing purposes, which will then be promptly listed on eBay Smile

Kuggan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuggan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 1:01am
Hi, I have the same problem. Is it possible to boot the motherboard with the processor not installed?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 1:06am
its at least worth a try if you have a old gpu

it seems someone has been ok with a gigabyte board and a seperate gpu booted into bios and allowed the flash to raven ridge

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 1:07am
Originally posted by Kuggan Kuggan wrote:

Hi, I have the same problem. Is it possible to boot the motherboard with the processor not installed?

no you need a cpu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic