ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock AB350M Pro4 - Freezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 34>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 12:17am
The owner of this thread most likely has unsubscribed and hasnt commented in a while since he/she changed to another motherboard... 

I have 2 days of uptime when i changed a couple settings in the BIOS

I am starting a new thread with the fix at the top so a new person doesnt have to read 25 pages to find a fix

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8954&PID=52703&#52703
MPro4-FAULT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPro4-FAULT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:29am
Not only the owner of the post had to take an alternative mobo. The most of users havig the freezing issues couldnt fix during months, doesn't matter what bios (for cpu / apu) new release flashed. As doesn't matter ir you are using Windows or Linux.

mainly: 1 month after use. The mobo can run during 60-120 min, then the first BSOD, reboot of freeze appears. At this point, the time expected to get the next crash reduces to 20 / 30 min. Third may be in 10 minutes and then maybe 1 or 2 minutes after boot. At this point there is nothing you can do with the computer.

Only turning off the system during long time (day/s) will give you to the begining againg.

So, there is nothing related to user settings in Bios with the issue, it's something with the phisical design of the mobo or its componentes, or with the internal behaviour of them guided using bios microcode.

Being in time to get a refund of return the mobo to the shop and get other model may be useful to following cases. Let them not to use a lot of time testing configurationes, swaping (buying?) components, geting prev. gen. processors to can flash the bios to can take secong gen cpu / apus, sending mobo to rma, etc. to finally be at the same point was at the begining. Because many people did it yet previosly. 

If you are having the symptoms: The board dosn't work, bud luck. Try again. Do not spend a time than can invalidate you weeks later to gate the money back, or opt a refund. Thats best than keeping the faulty mobo, and have to buy a second one.

AB450M PRO4 is not much far away to be listes at stores. If Asrock is going to do a recall of prev B350s units to swap with really capables B350s ones or newlies B450s is some that nobody knows (same with RMA's from July) due in all this time never recognize nothing related with the model. Officialy all is OK.

In the next months / years, if you had to send to RMA a B350M Pro4 board and you get back a B450... may be say something with this issue. But there is the possibility that the new B450M Pro 4 freezes in the same way the current model does, we are going to see early.

SkOrPn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkOrPn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 2:42am
Yeah agreed, it just doesn't make any sense to me. It has to be a very deep bedded reason, maybe something in the bios that keeps getting carried over bios after bios. Also something that only happens with Zen architecture. I'm running a A8-9600 and do not have the issue. But before I got the board it was running a Ryzen 5 1600 and would freeze every 15 minutes. The previous owner replaced the video card, storage drive, and the power supply and it didn't fix it. He then ordered a B350 Prime and that fixed it. Lol

Once I get a Ryzen 5 2400G on this thing I will see if it still freezes or not but by then I will be on a much newer bios.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPro4-FAULT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 7:58pm
In my opinion it's related to the design, metric and especific components of the board than can not handle (thermal disipation / interference between inner componnents) more than a minutes depending the switching max. power and idle stated while machine is working.

Zen uses natively an autooverclocked / throttle / idle constant core up-down. SenseMi, XFR(2), Precision Boost Overdrive, etc.

The board doen's offer customizable load line calibration, i don't know if it uses internally or in a what kind of level, but the voltage going up and down -severely, not a cents- every second instead a semi fixed value can not be handled by the capacitors mosfets, vrm, etc. Seems that the heavy to light and light to heavy voltage changes are knocking much far away from where they must can be knock as much far (properly handled).  

I used the board with an A series and performed really nice and smooth. Switched to a Zen APU and first 30 days performed the same, really nice. Then comes the issues and you start missing the ferformance you know can run the board with the componentes. But seems that only can handle a while before crash.

Maybe Asrock can not do anything and Zen's horsepower and working schemas pushes to the limit and beyond what was expected to can handle when using previously architectures.

Or maybe i'm wrong and if i keep using the A-series during 6 months, the AB350M-PRo4 will still performing great from day 1 to last. 

I realized that settling board and windows to work using a fixed frecuency and voltage, no XMP/AMD profiles, fixed and lowered IGPU setting, no core performance, no c states, no cool and quiet. Locked frecuency via p-states. Whatever. All. Like the cpu and SO was an 80's machine ends crashing anyway with all the sensors giving you stable and nice values. 

Currents, Voltages and Powers sensors can confirm that there are heavy activity anyway at same moments  constantly triggered by your tasks, or OS task / services all the tyme is On.

Each time one task starts there is a current peak not correctly handled. Same when each task finishes.

This high account of not expected 'hits' on the componentes drives you to the freeze because each one of them increment the thermal of same parts of the circuitery, the componentes or something and there is nothing you can do. 

SkOrPn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkOrPn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 7:19am
Yeah its a design failure for sure. But I dont think its thermals, otherwise we would have solved that already. My AB350M came from my Uncle in Achorage Alaska and it was freezing at stock settings and I had him place it next to the window last December and placed a large room fan next to it. This board freezes in Windows even when it is below zero temps.

My very nice IR temp gun saw it freeze when the VRM was at 22c. So its definitely NOT temps causing the freeze on my AB350M. Its bad design like you said, but not temps.

EDIT: One thing is for sure... THIS BOARD SUCKS AND AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. Lol

Edited by SkOrPn - 19 Jun 2018 at 7:21am
eddie55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:33am
So i was reading the AB350M Pro4 manual and found these 2 settings
Has anyone tried to disable them and noticed any difference

Advanced --> CPU configuration --> Cool n Quiet --> Disable

Advanced --> CPU configuration --> C6 --> Disable

These settings are similar to the settings i disabled in my board the AB350 Pro4 and it completely resolved my issues... anyone try this yet?

Cool 'n' Quiet
Use this item to enable or disable AMD?™s Cool ?˜n??QuietTM technology. The default
value is [Enabled]. Configuration options: [Enabled] and [Disabled]. If you install
Windows® OS and want to enable this function, please set this item to [Enabled].
Please note that enabling this function may reduce CPU voltage and memory
frequency, and lead to system stability or compatibility issue with some memory
modules or power supplies. Please set this item to [Disable] if above issue occurs.

C6 Mode
Use this item to enable or disable Core C6 mode. The default value is [Enabled].

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPro4-FAULT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 12:20am
Originally posted by eddie55 eddie55 wrote:

So i was reading the AB350M Pro4 manual and found these 2 settings
Has anyone tried to disable them and noticed any difference

Advanced --> CPU configuration --> Cool n Quiet --> Disable

Advanced --> CPU configuration --> C6 --> Disable

Yes, i think many did. Same result.

Setting off the C states and Q'nQ (and core performance boost,fixing the pstates, and use same max and min cpu load at power m. @ windows) you wish run the cpu all the time the same frequency / voltage to fight against the llc missing. But it's not enough.

The ATX board may handle right, but the shrinking going mATX may not let the same design to do the same... more than a minutes.
johntamemail1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johntamemail1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:08am

I also have this problem on Bios 4.5, 4.7 and 4.82. This problem is partly fixed when using Bios 4.73b (at least no need to hard reset the PC). I seldom find the freeze problem now, but my LED screen will sometimes simply show black screen (LED not in standby mode/ not showing no signal). To solve it, I need to unplug the HDMI / DVI connector and plug it again, everything will return normal afterwards.

Asrock AB350M Pro4
AMD Ryzen 5 2400g
ADATA SSD SATA3 120GB
CoolerMaster Elite Power 460W
Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 @ 2400
G.Skill 4GB DDR4-2400 @ 2400
chuchu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuchu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:21pm
Has anyone contacted AsRock directly? I tried to RMA my board on the store I bought it. After waiting for 2 weeks, they said they re-flashed the BIOS. I still get the freezes. It's a little disappointing that I got problems like this on my first PC build.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPro4-FAULT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by chuchu chuchu wrote:

Has anyone contacted AsRock directly? I tried to RMA my board on the store I bought it. After waiting for 2 weeks, they said they re-flashed the BIOS. I still get the freezes. It's a little disappointing that I got problems like this on my first PC build.

If the part is faulty and you want to fire the guarantee support (RMA) let the store return to you the faulty unit (reflashed with the freezes) is something you may not let they do.

Asrock will take the board and give you a new/refurbished one to start again. Maybe you get a flawless unit, maybe you get again a faulty.

But the RMA must be done. At this point the store stopped the procedure, so time is going, and you are keeping a faulty unit.

Place the RMA if the cost worths for you (think twice, it's not sure you get in return a 100% nice board, officially there is nothing happening to this model), or save the shipping money and time of all the RMA maybe you could have to do before giving up... and give a try with other model.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 34>
  Share Topic