ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z370 extreme 4: Sata Ports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim.111888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z370 extreme 4: Sata Ports
    Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 8:42am
Hey Guys, need your help with "z370 extreme 4" Sata Connectors optimization.
There are 2 things I don't understand.

1.)
------------------------------------------
"z370 extreme 4" manual says:
- M2_1, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.
- M2_2, SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.
Question: Does it mean if I connect a drive to SATA3_0, SATA3_1 becomes unusable? Why would you even include SATA3_1 into the system if you can use just 1 of them? They are even placed directly above each other.

2.)
"z370 extreme 4" manual says:
- To minimize the boot time, use IntelĀ® Z370 SATA ports (SATA3_0) for your bootable devices.
Question:  So only  SATA3_0, SATA3_1 are Z370 SATA and the others (2,3,4,5) are not?

Thank you
ppv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 7:58am
1) 
M.2 socket usually can work in SATA or PCIE mode. When works in PCIE mode, then it consumes more PCIE lanes.
You can use all 6 sata sockect when using standard sata drivers when nothing connected to M.2 sockets.
If you use M.2 Sata drive at M2_1 then it will probably disable one of SATA3_1 or SATA3_5.
If you use M.2 NVMe drive PCIE x4 speed, then it will disable both SATA3_1 and SATA3_5
If you need more SATA sockets, buy additional SATA connroller and plug it to standard PCIE connector.
There are also available M.2 cards for standard PCIE sockets.

2) it is probably for fastest possible boot time, when fast boot option is enabled in bios. make sure your OS drive is connected to sata3_0 or M2_1 to minimize boot time / boot drive detection. 
however it does not work well on my board. i have toshiba ssd connected to sata3_0 and it is not ultra fast boot, device detection takes some time anyway. I should try to remove all other drives besides OS disk for comparison.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic