ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

A320M Pro 4 no post after reboot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjinglis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 2:17am
A320M Pro4 doesn't have wifi but im on a

I've been messing with PowerPlan but to no avail, installing AMD's, using default, messing with it, still crashes.

mjinglis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjinglis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 3:38am
I've given up and got a replacement coming from Amazon, hopefully its not a fundamental problem with the A320M Pro4
mjinglis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjinglis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:04am
Now on my 2nd A320M Pro 4 and after a period of stability, its started doing the exact same thing.

I've replaced everything in the setup to no avail, the problem seems to be going into idle state, the system just hangs when its been sat idle for a while, you can run it full pelt as long as you want.

Now considering buying a different motherboard and after talking to ASRock support, this will be the last product of theirs i buy, they are the most unhelpful and uninterested company i have ever dealt with.
Solace50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solace50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by mjinglis mjinglis wrote:

Hi,

Im having problems with my ASRock A320M Pro4, 

In general the system works fine, however frequently on reboot from Windows the system sits with a blank screen and no post.

Whilst up it is fine and stable, however on a windows update restart etc it will just sit on blank screen, monitor is not powered up so im assuming the graphics card is not running.

There are no motherboard beeps and Windows thinks it has shutdown the system as far as i can tell.

Im running the latest BIOS and have tried a CMOS reset but it still happens.

Anyone have any suggestions? 

im running :

Windows 10 Creators
ASRock A320 Pro4
Ryzen 3 2200
8GB Crucial DDR4 2400
1050 GTX Graphics Card

are you able to hard reset the machine and boot and this only occurs on softboots such as the windows restart, i had the same issue on the b350 pro4 as well. I also believe this occurred on an ASrock extreme 4 board (which I sold), initially thinking my 290x was defective up until the new ryzen build and same issues persist despite no existing hardware was used. The only workaround is to use stock settings, nothing else. The only thing I configured was my raid array, if i changed ram timings or cpu freq, warmboots would fail to post and there seems to be no remedy.

I highgly doubt i would ever touch another ASrock board at this point, same goes for MSI as their build quality is mega awful and bios chips become corrupted after a few years of usage. Think ill be going to gigabyte from now on.

Edited by Solace50 - 23 Apr 2018 at 3:39pm
mjinglis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjinglis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:17am
It happens cold or warm boots, i'm pretty sure the problem has to do with ASRocks implementation of C states as it crashes on idle, not under load.
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:30am
The C states are implemented in the AGESA code by AMD, not many people understand that almost all the UEFI settings that have to do with the Chipset/Memory/CPU/GPU/SATA/M.2 are in the AGESA code, SMU code and SouthBridge code provided by AMD, things like Fans, Leds, LAN/WLAN are indeed managed by ASRock, as well as the UEFI layout and layout options provided, some vendors unlock all options from the firmware provided by AMD, some dont, but vendors cant add features that are not available already in the firmware provided by AMD, but in essence they are all linked to the firmware provided by AMD, the only bugs that can occur are in the underlying implementation, as in how ASRock assembles the final UEFI code for the specific motherboard configuration.
These bugs can occur, but if they have to do with the systems listed above they are almost all the time fixed by AMD if the are critical, then AMD will provide updated firmware for motherboard vendors, after that the UEFI will be updated

PS: the only difference between vendors that is vendor specific is the VRM IC chip implementation, for these some motherboard manufacturers implement proprietary code and UEFI layouts. An example of this is Asus "Digi+ VRM" that provides many option to tweak the power deliver processor

Cheers

Edited by cristy6100 - 24 Apr 2018 at 1:38am
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
mjinglis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjinglis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:38am
In which case how come so many other motherboard manufacturers don't suffer as badly from issues with C States and P States? ASRock have far more people complaining about similar issues.

Im now back using BIOS 3.10 as 4.70 is just awful, the system crashes all the time. 

Im gonna play about the C states settings and try and get it stable, 

What is the point in C States anyway? i can see the point on a laptop where battery power is critical, but on a desktop does it really matter if your PC uses an extra 1v at idle?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:46am
The C-States are not the cause of the issues here, its almost all the time the memory that causes the problems for cold boots. The C states are used to manged all adaptive voltage/frequency for the CPU/GPU, they are beneficial for power consumption reduction and less wear on the silicone and transistor by adjusting both voltage and frequency, we are at 12/14nm the transistor are very sensitive, constant high voltage and frequency will degrade them 100' of times faster than older CPU's using 32-45-65nm fab processes. Long gone are the days of pusing a Fixed frequency and voltage in the CPU, people need to understand and adjust to this.
Also C states partially control Turbo Boost and XFR (Turbo Boost and XFR any version of them are also manged by integrated sensors and dedicated IC's that are integrated in the CPU itself).
On Ryzen its best to manually overclock only if you are doing benchmark runs, for everything else leaving the CPU to manage itself by using Turbo Boost/XFR and its integrated sensors/processors is best, so C States are very important.
The issues with ASRock are because of agressive memory timings implemented by default, that cause many DDR4 memory kits to fail to cold boot, and the AMD provided code is again at fault here, I can boot my memory using all UEFI version compatible with the 2400G without any problems even overclock it to 3333MHz from 2400MHz, so its clear the problem is in the memory kit you are using.

PS: Did I mention that you can also overclock by configuring the P-States? but the current AGESA 1.0.0.1a has a bug that causes the lower P-States to not switch on when overclock, only some of them, this is AMD's fault and has as far as I understand fixed in 1.0.0.2a
I also would like to overclock the GPU, but loosing the adaptive frequency/voltage in doing so is not worth it, so until AMD fixes this I prefer just to leave it on auto

Cheers

Edited by cristy6100 - 24 Apr 2018 at 1:57am
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
mjinglis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjinglis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:56am
You are using a totally different motherboard though?

I managed to fix the boot issue, now it just freezes on idle, even logs show nothing, hw info shows nothing changing, the system just seems to be asleep however no windows power settings allow this.

I am not overclocking it, im running 100% stock, all i want is a stable computer.

Also we have tried 3 different sets of memory, 1 set is out of a friends Ryzen setup which is 100% stable, mine behaves the same crashes on idle after a period of time. We put my memory in his setup, after 3 days still stable.

That being said i have started looking at the memory settings, today i have disabled gear down mode to see if that improves things.

Edited by mjinglis - 24 Apr 2018 at 1:59am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:04am
Be aware that low end boards use less PCB layers and lower quality traces, that can affect the memory performance, I am using the Fatal1ty X370 ITX/ac and had also her sister the AB350 ITX/ac
The A320 Pro4 has the same AGESA as mine so in all the performance should be similar but as far as I remember XFR and Precision Boost is implemented differently by AMD's request on A320 than on B350/X370/X470, wait for a new UEFI updated and check back after
I would also RMA the board, or send it to warranty, it seems you might have a bad motherboard, C-States or anything else should not cause freezing in idle, check with another SSD/HDD and do a clean Windows 10 install using the "Media Creation Tool" provided by Microsoft on their site.

If possible also swap the PSU, older PSU have problems with Ryzen and freezez in idle/low power states, so that could be your problem.
What PSU are you using?

Edited by cristy6100 - 24 Apr 2018 at 2:07am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic