ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

A320M Pro 4 no post after reboot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:17am
Let me check a thing, and I will write back what to do
Ok, can you go to ADVANCED/AMD CBS/NBIO COMMON OPTIONS/ and change "Power Supply Idle Control" to Tipical current from Auto and report back if you still have freezes in Idle?

Edited by cristy6100 - 24 Apr 2018 at 2:21am
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
mjinglis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjinglis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:25am
I bow down to your knowledge on this, im not that clued up on these things, but i don't understand how aggressive memory timings can affect idle performance? I could understand that if it were to crash on load, but it will play games for hours and not skip a beat, yet as soon as you leave it overnight, it doesn't wake.

I think i tried that before but i will try it again.

All these settings that are auto, is there any way to discover which the motherboard is using?
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:30am
No no, agressive memory timings and sub timings can cause no post with cold boots or even re-boots, but not idle freezes, there was some reports of Ryzen freezing in idle and AMD implemented the options I sugested above to check. If that does not work, can you maybe try with another HDD/SSD and reinstall windows on it, without any other secondary drive attached, and use the IGPU of the system? That should remove the GPU/HDD/SSD from the ecuation, and the only things left are the Motherboard/RAM/Power Supply

Yes, to check timings use Ryzen Timings Checker https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-timing-checker/

PS: what PSU are you using?
OK I now read the 1st page, where you mentioned you tired another boot drive with OS, so scrap that
Well my suggestion for a final assertion is this:
Remove video card, remove any other drive besides the boot drive, remove one stick of memory, remove anything else besides the CPU/Memory/Boot Drive, reset UEFI to default and check again for freezes, if the still occur send the motherboard back to warranty

Edited by cristy6100 - 24 Apr 2018 at 2:37am
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
mjinglis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjinglis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:37am
I've tried three different hard drives (2 x SSDs and 1 spinner), all had the same issues. Tried two different power supplies (currently running a bronze rated corsair 900w) and like i say the memory has been changed as well.

The only thing left is the motherboard, and given im now on my second A320 either there is a fundamental problem with it or there is some settings which can make this stable.

There is no power supply idle control options in 3.10, i could try upgrading, but am reluctant to run the latest as it crashes all the time.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:58am
I have to ask, have you done a fresh OS install on any of the drives you have tested?

I had the same exact issue on one of my review samples, turned out I needed to download and install the latest windows 10 iteration. My old install media lacked updates that Ryzen needed and they failed to install after the fact. What you describe can easily be caused by the OS. 

If you have tried a fresh install with the latest install media from MS let us know. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:00am
No need, for an UEFI upgrade, the Corsair PSU should have no problems whatsoever and most certain supports Ryzen CPU idle states. All that your tried has narrowed it down to the motherboard itself, being that its the 2nd one you try, it seems to me that the problem lies with the motherboard itself or the UEFI, I suggest waiting for the new UEFI's based on AGESA 1.0.0.2a that should be released in the coming weeks, after that upgrade the UEFI using a clean FAT32 USB stick from UEFI, before upgrading make sure to reset UEFI to defaults. 
If that does not solve your problem, you should return the motherboard and exchange it for another one if possible
As Xaltar said Windows 10 Creators Update needs to be fully updated for the 2xxx series to work corectly with it, as an example with the system from my Sig, after clean install of Creators Update, Edge would freeze randomly and all sorts of odd behaviours would occur, but I usually always update after install, only one time I did not and notice this. I implied that you already updated after install also

Edited by cristy6100 - 24 Apr 2018 at 3:07am
mjinglis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjinglis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:50am
Yeap every time im doing a clean install of windows 10 and allowing it to update fully, thankfully windows 10 installs quickly...

Normally i would suspect the OS however Windows knows nothing about what caused the shutdown, the only event logs show it healthy, then starting from an unexpected shutdown, which implies hardware.

My next option was to downspeed the ram...

Im just perplexed how it can all be so unreliable, i thought the Ryzen was supposed to be the best, it just seems buggy to me, kinda regretting not going for an Intel now.

Problem with replacing the motherboard is its taken this long to diagnose it amazon will only ever replace it, ASRock are not interested at all and just say return to the vendor, their support is awful. However if it is yet another motherboard problem i will not be getting another ASRock one, mainly because of their support.

Edited by mjinglis - 24 Apr 2018 at 3:52am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:42am
Well my experience with warranties here in Europe is better because I return it to the retailer/supplier for warranty, and here ASRock has 3 years warranty, same does Asus, I for one had bad experience with the last 7 out of 9 Asus boards, but none of the ASRock ones have failed me or my clients yet, the part where its buggy I can confirm but its odd because all other ASRock boards I had were Rock Solid even AMD ones, so I will give the benefit of the doubt to ASRock and blame AMD for a rushed platform but if all bugs are resolved its fine with me, better late than never. I too expected more from Ryzen when I build this system to replace my trusty FX9370 AM3+ system that had a Crosshair V Formula-Z (that was one of the 2 Asus from that worked behaved lovely with no bugs at all, it was rock solid, not even a crash in 2+ years) so when I bought the top end AM4 ITX board available I expected more from it, I still cant play CS GO without throttling and many other usability bugs, but at least no hard crashes.

You can read here my experience with the Fatality X370 ITX/ac:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8075&KW=&title=fatality-x370-itx-ac-bios-l451-very-buggy

and here:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8166&KW=&title=yet-another-uefi-bug-with-ab350-x370-itx-ac

here also:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8184&KW=&title=warning-to-users-with-older-video-cards

And lastly:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8254&KW=&title=loud-pop-from-left-channel-when-poweron-reboot

None of these bugs were fixed yet, I am putting all my hope in the next UEFI update

Edited by cristy6100 - 24 Apr 2018 at 4:45am
mjinglis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjinglis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 9:58pm
Interestingly i've had a chance to play around a bit more, 

Im now running 4.51 Bios, i've got it running (it crashed previously after 10mins) by disabling DDR4 Gear Down mode and turning Power Supply Idle Control to Typical.

Its still crashing after long periods of inactivity, but its lasting longer now than it was, currently trying my memory underclocked to 1866 (instead of 2400) to see how that gets on.

Edited by mjinglis - 24 Apr 2018 at 10:01pm
mjinglis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjinglis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:56am
I take it back, crashing all the time again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic