ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

1800x & x370 Taichi Freezing issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 4:11am
my taichi will downvolt to the 0.400 range

with c6 disabled

i presume the global c states is doing that as i leave that enabled

i use the ryzen power plan

maybe worth a try
but bear in mind im on bios 3.1 and have no need to use a later bios
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 4:36am
datonyb, would you recommend that hav0k go to BIOS/UEFI 4.41 (if not there)?
hav0k, I had a similar problem on my X370 FGP with an 1800X.  It required an RMA of the board.  The way I narrowed it down was to run a single stick of memory in one slot then another.  In my case A1 and A2 would fail while B1 and B2 would not.  Mine failed at idle and ran stress fine.  Are you running UEFI 4.41?  The latest term can easily be misinterpreted.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
hav0k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hav0k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 5:29am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

datonyb, would you recommend that hav0k go to BIOS/UEFI 4.41 (if not there)?
hav0k, I had a similar problem on my X370 FGP with an 1800X.  It required an RMA of the board.  The way I narrowed it down was to run a single stick of memory in one slot then another.  In my case A1 and A2 would fail while B1 and B2 would not.  Mine failed at idle and ran stress fine.  Are you running UEFI 4.41?  The latest term can easily be misinterpreted.  Enjoy, John.

Hi John. I'm running 4.40, because 4.41 is still marked as beta and i'm waiting for more feedback on it.
The memory is running fine though. Memtest86 with no errors for hours. Memory usually fails when stressed, but in my situation i only have problems when idle.

I think I've already figured this out, but thank you for all your suggestions. Will keep monitoring for a few more days and declare this case closed (pun intended).

Edited by hav0k - 03 Mar 2018 at 5:33am
mjinglis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjinglis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 5:40am
Originally posted by hav0k hav0k wrote:

I have a suspicion that the C6 Mode option is actually renamed to "Power Supply Idle Control" (i might be mistaken though).
The fact is that setting it to "Low Current Idle" allows the CPU to undervolt down to 0.400v, while the "Typical Current Idle" keeps it at minimum of around 0.8v.

I'm currently running tests to see if it will freeze again, but it looks promising. Been stable for hours now.

If this fixes it, it raises several questions. Namely why is this happening in first place with stock settings, which by default should be the most stable, and second - what is this new option and why the C6 Mode is gone from the newer BIOS? I'm not going to speculate an AMD attempt to cover their problems by renaming a core processor functionality to something as ubiquitous as this, but it has crossed my mind...

I'm trying to stay away from manual (over)clocking for now, because i really like the Core Boost, the XFR and the Cool'n'Quet functionality. The system has never crashed even once on all the stress tests i've put it through.

Havok, this is very interesting as its exactly the same issues i am seeing but with a Ryzen 3 1200 and an A320m.

It seems to happen when transferring to and from idle states, i.e. if the system is idleing and you remote desktop into it for instance it will crash, if windows update runs it will crash, if you close remote desktop and let it go back to idle it crashes.

Again memtest86 runs for hours, tried different graphics cards, powersupplies and even operating systems, still happens (interestingly a lot more often in Windows 10).

Was it just the Power Supply Idle Control you have changed?

Edited by mjinglis - 03 Mar 2018 at 5:44am
hav0k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hav0k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 5:45am
Originally posted by mjinglis mjinglis wrote:

Was it just the Power Supply Idle Control you have changed?

Yup. I believe when set to "Auto" it defaults to "Low Current Idle", effectively bringing down the minimum CPU voltage to 0.4v. I've changed it to "Typical Current Idle" and now it never goes below 0.8.

Not sure if this would fix crashing, but it definitely helped my system to survive long periods of idle without freezing...to death. It's been a whole day now and it still runs.
Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 10:23am
What firmware version is your 960 Evo on?  I've seen issues with firmware update on it that can cause freezes/lock ups.  
hav0k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hav0k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Reinvented Reinvented wrote:

What firmware version is your 960 Evo on?  I've seen issues with firmware update on it that can cause freezes/lock ups.  

Latest as of now - 3B7QCXE7
hav0k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hav0k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 6:16am
I've conducted some additional tests:

1. Turned the HPET timers on and off;
2. Swapped the RAM to slots A1 and B1;
3. Tried with a single DIMM only in each of the slots;
4. Turned Core Parking on and off in Windows;

None of the above made any difference. So, in conclusion, the only thing that helped was to set the "Power Supply Idle Control" to "Typical Current Idle". Haven't had a single freeze since then.
The only drawback is that the VCore doesn't drop to 0.4 volts anymore, but stays at 0.8 minimum. I can live with that - haven't seen the temps raise at all.

I'm still very much confused about the purpose of that option. Modern power supply units should all be perfectly capable of handling low currents, or at least since "Haswell" came out - there were some notable problems with its C6/C7 states.

If you're having similar freezes at idle, check if your BIOS has this option and try to set it. It might help you.

PS: None of this applies if you have overclocked your system or disabled Cool'n'Quiet. At that point it's pretty much granted that you have set your VCore manually.
Harleyevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Harleyevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 11:15pm
Stability.... Finally.

My config AMD ryzen 1700x
ASrock X370 Gaming X
Radeon RX560 (MSI)
RR622 Esata Raid card.
32 GB Adata Spectrix 2666 memory
2xHGST 2.5 drives in Mirrored config.
Bios (Latest)

SO what worked for me and your mileage my vary on this.

Initally I had to have OC my chip disable cool and quiet and disable the system C sstates, as well as set the PCIE slots from auto to GEN1.

This gave me quasi stability would stay up 2 to 3 days before locking up.

I had replace the PROC, the Video, the PSU and memory pretty much everything. save for the System Board, and had requested a replacement from ASROCK (but they were ignoring me at this point.) so I started looking into other vendors system boards when I noticed that pretty much all other vendors boards only have 5 PCI-E slots. and thought could this be some kind of timing issue so I moved the RR622 from the bottom PCI-E slot to the one above the the 1st x16 slot.

Boom Stability... for over a week now up 24x7.  Running at Bios defaults only changes were to change the drives from AHCI to Raid, and set the fan profiles to performance.

when I'm not there it runs the BONIC platfom to contribute to medical research so it's pretty much stressed 24x7

So it looks like there is some kind of timing issues in slot 6 for PCIE devices. SO my suggestion is to move any add in cards up as close to slot 1 as you can.

Additionally I also find the system is more stable with a Radeon card as opposed to Nvidia so either AMD did something hinky to make their cards more attractive or Nvidia is having some kind of issue or ASrock has some timing issue that is evidenced in Nvidia moreso than with a radeon.

Go figure.

Edited by Harleyevo - 03 May 2018 at 11:34pm
Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 11:34am
Check your code on mb.
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4593&PID=37459&title=x370-taichi-goes-blank-code-00#37459
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic