ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] X399 Taichi Won't Boot / No CPU Fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 2:58pm
Generally, most people just put the board on top of the box it came in for bench testing. Do not put it on top of an anti-static bag, many of these are conductive.

This is the most effective way to clear CMOS:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal

When you have the CPU out, clean the contact pads carefully with some isopropyl alcohol and make sure there is no debris in the socket. Also check to make sure the CPU substrate (PCB) isn't bent/warped. 

Good luck
TANWare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANWare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:36pm
I jut had to reconfigure my fans. In doing so apparently I bumped into the power wires of the board. I had to reseat the power plugs as the system became totally unresponsive. No fan movement etc.. maybe not your issue but I figured it is something free to check.
x399 Taichi, 1950x, 32GB 3466 DDR4
2x500GB 960EVO,Asus 1080TI
Passmark
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:53pm
Check the 24pin and 8pin CPU power leads from your PSU, make sure there is no damage to them (burnt, spread too far etc).

I take it this is a new PSU?

APDrones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APDrones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:07am
UPDATE: I was able to get BIOS by doing a benchtop test after removing CPU, checking everything and reseating. What I had luck with was going 1/4 turn at a time on each of the 1-2-3 screws until all were torqued properly. It fired right up.

Now.... that said... just placed back in my case with the same minimalist config (8 GB RAM in each A2 and B2 - same as on benchtop, GPU, and 24 + 8 + 4 pin CPU jumpers) and back to the same issue. 

Since I assume it is a grounding issue, I hoped I might get lucky and remove one screw attaching the mobo at a time and see if one was the issue.... no luck. 

I'll check seating of connectors but any suggestions?
APDrones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APDrones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:08am
No this was not a new PSU, carryover from my previous setup.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:34am
APDrones, please think about things connected to your board now not connected on the bench.  Examples: audio, front panel, back panel bezel, any cards or other cables.  Please let us hear.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
APDrones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APDrones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 8:15am
I do not have anything connected to the board except what was on the bench (3 CPU cables, GPU). No front panel connected. My only thought is the rear of the board extends further than my previous X99. I have some longer standoff?™s at work I plan to try tomorrow to see if that solves it.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 8:20am
APDrones, there are prongs on the bezel for grounding the shield part of the connectors sticking through.  I would suggest that you look at that carefully and even try it with the bezel removed.  Best of luck and enjoy, John,
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
APDrones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APDrones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 7:43am
SOLVED: it ended up being a standoff on my case lined perfectly up with a screw head on the back side of the motherboard behind the big ASRock logo. Almost like it was intentional. I must have had the standoff from before and not used it because I used 10 fasteners on my old mobo as well as this one. 

Oh well, lesson learned and problem solved!
Thanks all for your help!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by APDrones APDrones wrote:

SOLVED: it ended up being a standoff on my case lined perfectly up with a screw head on the back side of the motherboard behind the big ASRock logo. Almost like it was intentional. I must have had the standoff from before and not used it because I used 10 fasteners on my old mobo as well as this one. 

Oh well, lesson learned and problem solved!
Thanks all for your help!

That shouldn't be. There are very strict Guidelines ALL manufacturers must follow to/that prevent that.

Can I ask/bother you for a picture please?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic