ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] X399 Taichi Won't Boot / No CPU Fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APDrones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Solved] X399 Taichi Won't Boot / No CPU Fan
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 2:52am
Hi All, 

Let me preface by saying I have read 2 other threads on here for similar issues where I did learn but did not solve my issue. 

My set-up:
ASRock X399 Taichi
1950X TR CPU
Corsaid RM 850X PS
EVGA GTX1070 FTW GPU
Vengeance LPX 4x8 GB RAM
Vengeance LPX 2x16 GB RAM (more on this later)
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD for OS
WD 5TB HDD for storage

I'm updating my previous set-up with plans to go to more cores and more RAM. Previous was EVGA X99 FTW K151 with i7-6800K Broadwell-E and the 4x8 Vengeance RAM. 

So far what I know / have tried: 
  • I didn't know the 2x16 GB RAM was not compatible until seeing the AMD Ryzen Compatible RAM thread, also have tried the majority of iterations with only the 4x8 installed
  • I have yet to get a Dr. Debug Code
  • I initially missed the 4 pin CPU PS but have since connected it
  • My CPU fan does not work when trying to boot on the following locations on the mobo (it does not turn on but will turn on using the not mentioned Chassis fan locations): Loc 8 CPU Fan Connector CPU_FAN1, Loc 32 Chassis Fan Connector (CHA_FAN1), Loc 31 CPU Fan / Waterpump Fan Connector (CPU_OPT/W_PUMP), Loc 27 Chassis Fan Connector (CHA_FAN2). 
  • That said, my CPU fan does turn on when using Loc 1 Chassis Fan / Waterpump Fan Connector (CHA_FAN3/W_PUMP)
  • Both my monitors are HDMI only so to my knowledge I'm limited to seeing a boot menu unless I have the GPU installed and use it's HDMI. 
  • I tore down to the CPU to inspect for loose pins, all looked good. 
  • Built back up to only the CPU/Mobo, and 4x8 GB RAM, still get the same blue blinking from the ASRock LEDs
  • I did do the PS test with the paperclip and a dummy load of a chassis fan to confirm PS functionality on the 24 pin. 
So.... what else do I try or look at? 

Thanks in advance!
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:04am
APDrones, you must use a GPU, your processor/board provide no graphic support.  What shows up in your Dr Debug display?  Do you have both the 4-pin and 8-pin CPU power connectors plugged?  Please make sure the 4-pin is not rotated and they are CPU and not PCIe.  Have you tried the CPU_FAN1 connector?  If still not booting, please insert one stick of memory in A1, the video card and nothing else and see if it will boot or at least post a debug code.  Try all memory slots and all sticks, one at a time.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:31am
Also, what two specific mem kits, by P/N's.

Double check your mem placement against pg20 of your manual. Prolly best to troubleshot using slots A2 and B2 populated to get her booting.

! Clear the BIOS EVERY TIME you lift and move any memory !
APDrones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APDrones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:58am
MisterJ, yes 4 and 8 pins are connected and confirmed 4 pin is in correct orientation and is a cpu harness not a PciE. I have not been able to get any error code on my Dr Debug which concerned me. Will remove all but one memory and try. I was using slots D1 / D2 using the manual going down by priority.

Wardog - will provide mem P/N?™s in a few hours when I get home.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 5:29am
Threadripper CPUs are notoriously troublesome to install correctly. If it is out of alignment, not torqued down enough, torqued down too much it will not POST. The fact that your CPU fan header will not power up when you power on the system, I suspect an issue with the CPU mounting. Follow the instructions carefully, take your time and make sure the CPU is installed correctly. Threadripper is a beast but it takes a little more fiddling sometimes to get it to seat properly.

Also make sure you don't have any shorts under the board, the non functioning CPU fan could also be the result of shorting somewhere, an errant standoff or loose screw etc. 
TANWare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANWare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:10am
I'll confirm these are a pain to get seated properly. You have to get all three bolts just started and then torque down the plate. I started mine then snugged up in order the three bolts before the final torqueing of them in order. A pain but worth it in the end.
x399 Taichi, 1950x, 32GB 3466 DDR4
2x500GB 960EVO,Asus 1080TI
Passmark
APDrones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APDrones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:49am
4x8 GB is PN CMK32GX4M4A2133C13
2X16 is PN CMK32GX4M2A2133C13

Removing all memory except installing 1 8GB stick in slot A1 did not boot. I also have my GPU connected and it lights up like normal so PCE1 is getting power ( I don?™t have ps connected to GPU at the moment).
APDrones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APDrones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:53am
Tanware and Xalter - I agree the initial install took me almost an hour of headache to feel confident in the CPU?™s seating. This second time felt pretty good, I can get the front screw engaged with a little pressure then snug all 3 and tighten in order. The initial install I did not go all the way to the prescribed torque in the provided T20 because I was worried it was too much, I did go to it the second time I checked the CPU and it felt good / I wasn?™t worried.

I also suspected CPU issues from the fan not powering on. This board mounted the same as my old x99 so I reused fasteners and double checked they were tight when I installed the mobo this second time.

What?™s the best way to do basically a bench top check of CPU before installing mobo in case?
APDrones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APDrones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:02am
No luck with 2x8GB mem in A2 and B2 either.

Is clear CMOS process to hold the clear/reset cmos button for 10 sec as you unplug ps with everything turned off?

Looks like next step will be to try to get CPU reseated... I guess as long as I have it on a grounded surface I can power it and see if CPU fan comes on at start.... that?™d be progress from current state
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:28am
APDrones, see your manual for the exact Clear CMOS procedure.  You can also open the UEFI and hit F9 then F10.  Do not place your board on a conductive, much less, grounded surface.  You could mount it on a few of the standoffs and sit it on an insulating surface.  Try powering it up like this before tearing into the CPU again.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic