FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatality X370 ITX/ac BIOS L4.51 very buggy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatality X370 ITX/ac BIOS L4.51 very buggy
    Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 8:07pm
There is also some talk about SMU 30.68.0 fixing the throttling, the latest available bioses have 30.67.0 so we dont know for sure if its fiexed until ASRock releases updated bioses
You can check your SMU (which might stand for System Managment Unit) version by going in Advanced/AMD PBS/Firmware versions

Edited by cristy6100 - 16 Mar 2018 at 8:08pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 7:39pm
I have passed your info on to ASRock Tech Support. Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed breakdown. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 7:31pm
@hifihedgehog
I saw your post on reddit about "that user" sorry to dissapoint but if 1 user has his problem fixed that does not mean that everybody had, keep in mind that these apu's come with variable voltage from the factory for the cpu part, your cpu might have 1.31V max turbo, and mine might have 1.45V max turbo voltage.
Speaking of voltage mine has 1.45V turbo voltage, the board defaults my cpu to 1.395V in uefi so that might matter

@Xaltar 
Thank you for help with this

Edited by cristy6100 - 16 Mar 2018 at 7:49pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 6:27am
Latest version, iso made with utility from microsoft.

Also FanTastic tuning will not work in uefi, just enter the screen for FanTastic Tuning select All Fans and click full speed and apply... nothing happens same for the rest of the modes only after a restart will the setting change, but you can change it live from the normal menu not the Fantastic Tuning menu, again this did not happen in bios 2.10 and 3.60 (these I used before upgrading to 2400G)

Edited by cristy6100 - 16 Mar 2018 at 6:29am
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 5:58am
Windows is 1709 and  not earlier with updates?
ASRock X370-ITX BIOS 4.50
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 2933
960Evo M.2 256GB, Firecuda 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
G-Unique Archdaemon 300 Watt
Lian-li Q21B
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 1:34am
Unfortunately the throttle has not been resolved, it was way worse on 4.40/4.43 but still bad on 4.50/4.51, only the GPU throttles not the CPU, with 4.40/4.43 it went to 200MHz very frequent, now it goes to 400 and not so frequent to 200, still causes massive stuttering so no competitive gaming possible yet, the issues are with a PCI-E M.2 drive not SATA M.2, chaning boot order makes no difference, the issues are still present (it seems the bios tells the M.2 drive that it needs to be the last drive in the sistem, every other SATA port has priority over the M.2 slot, but with a Bristol Ridge CPU (Excavator arch) M.2 is always first, very odd

EDIT: The throttling is not really bothering me for the moment, but those other 4 bugs do, if we can somehow forward this to ASRock so they check it out.
Regarding M.2 detection, with 4.40 I could boot the M.2 drive even if in bios it was not shown, it was just a UEFI UI bug, if you had only the M.2 drive and no SATA drives, it would boot because the drive was detected but the UI did not show this to the user

EDIT 2: Every mention I made about a SATA port refers to the four SATA ports on the board not the M.2 slot with a SATA SSD in it

EDIT 3: My PSU is a Corsair RM750x, I swapped it for a Seasonic Focus+ made no difference

Edited by cristy6100 - 16 Mar 2018 at 1:56am
hifihedgehog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifihedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 1:05am
[URL=][/URL]I have some follow-up questions so that I can understand these issues as a perspective Raven Ridge builder myself:

Originally posted by cristy6100 cristy6100 wrote:

2. The M.2 slot losses priority when a SATA drive is connected, so even if you have you OS on the M.2 drive, the windows installer and OS will detect the SATA Drives starting from Disk 0...., the M.2 drive will be the last in the list in Disk Managment and every disk detection utility, again unacceptable, the M.2 OS drive needs to be always DISK 0!!! Not DISK 5 in my case with 4 SATA drives connected as secondary drives for storage...

I take it that this only affects SATA M.2 drives, not PCIe? Does changing the boot priority in the BIOS fix this at all?

Originally posted by cristy6100 cristy6100 wrote:

5. Last but not least, the GPU will throttle even when cooling is adequate, it makes the experience bad, every 5-10 seconds it goes down to 200-400 then up to 1240mhz, reducing the voltages helps but does not fix the issue, tested in numerous games, cooling is a Corsair H60 so no problems there, temp is a max of 55-60C for the CPU and 35-44C for the Socket, this a bad TDP limit implementation that needs fixing ASAP

This sounds an awful lot like it could be some other system issue (e.g. unstable power supply) since, to my knowledge, this was resolved in 4.50. I have been following reddit user looncraz for a while now who has deployed hundreds of AMD systems (e.g. he just recently had 100 or so AMD systems with Freesync: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/841rhe/any_suggestions_for_dealing_with_freesync_flicker/dvmswxa/ ). Since the throlling issue was completely resolved for him in 4.50 ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/82wmo3/2400g_users_turbo_off_helps_with_slowdowns_who/dvdqbs8/ ), I am skeptical and I wonder if something else in your system is the culprit.

Edited by hifihedgehog - 16 Mar 2018 at 1:53am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 12:40am
Thanks cristy6100, that is helpful information Wink

The Beta is based on the P4.50 BIOS so it stands to reason any issues there would carry over. The new issues are directly connected to the M.2 changes made though, still much better than no M.2 detection at all. I don't doubt that the next release will resolve at least most of these issues.

The Raven Ridge APUs are still very new and AMD likely still has bugs to work out of the AGESA code for them. Given it is Ryzen derivative lets hope they don't take as long as they did with Ryzen Approve
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 12:18am
Yes, that was the first thing I did, pressed the power button with the psu off for 30 seconds to empty the capacitors and residual current then switched the jumper to clear for 2 minutes
After that loaded all stock settings, and set my memory to 2133 and 1.35V (I can do 3200 no problems there) but just for safety
After that I did a clean reinstall of latest Windows 10 Pro X64 genuine.

The 4.40 BIOS does exhbit all bugs listed here minus the Safely Remove Icon for the M.2, but it has a temperature bug, and Storage controllers page this time does not list any drives, but they boot anyways

The priority for the M.2 is a new bug, if I install a A8/A10 Bristol Ridge it does not occur, so its a Raven Ridge bug.
Even if I disconnect and install with only the M.2 drive as soon as I connect the SATA drives on a clean install, windows will set the SATA drives as Disk 0 1 2 and 3, them main OS drive will apear as the last drive in the system 

But besides those 5 things I could not find any other problems, but I run all stock no OC, if they manage to fix these I can call it a day and deem the pc stable and usable

Edited by cristy6100 - 16 Mar 2018 at 12:29am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 12:13am
Thanks for the detailed list of issues Thumbs Up

Anyone else with these problems, please chime in so we can get an idea if the issue is consistent across a number of boards or specific to the original poster's configuration somehow.

@cristy6100

Have you already tried clearing CMOS, ideally via the battery removal method?

Most guides I have seen regarding installing an OS on M.2 (SATA or NVMe) recommend disconnecting all other drives during install. I generally do this as a matter of course. I wonder if you would still experience the drive labeling issues if you were to do this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic