ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warning to users with older video cards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warning to users with older video cards
    Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:19pm
This is a warning to users with video cards older than GTX 7xx (GT7xx including) and AMD 2xx
Latest BIOS versions in the 4.xx range that offer support for Raven Ridge removed the CSM module for video boot with older not GOP bios, so if you plug in a video card without GOP (UEFI)/Hybrid BIOS you will have no signal on the monitor. This is regardless of CPU, this affects Summit/Pinnacle/Bristol/Raven Ridge, its just that ASRock decided to remove the CSM module from the current UEFI versions.
Some of the GTX 680/690 will have GOP/Hybrid bios, some do not, some HD7870/7950/7970 have Hybrid bios but many do not.
As far as the HD7990 is concerned it comes with UEFI bios from the factory.
All HD6xxx have older bios so they will not boot.

Just a heads-up for anyone trying a video card from those series on a ASRock AM4 motherboard with UEFI in the 4.xx range, the 2.xx, 3.xx range has the CSM module present so they are not affected.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:01am
Dare I ask from where this info was gleaned from?
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:25am
my gtx 1060 has also issues with csm
gtx 760 had no issues
gtx 1060 fails with csm off, also in csm enabled its missing gpu switch for legacy/uefi
unable to have 1080p uefi qq
bios 4.60
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 5:03am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Dare I ask from where this info was gleaned from?

Or did you learn of this via the Support Ticket you opened earlier?
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:49pm
I learned it when I tested 3 video cards, a HD6970 a GTX 580 and a GTX 680, they did not boot at all instead the integrated graphics switched on and booted, no video card was detected in Windows, the cards were plugged in correctly, everything was in order.
Then I enabled CSM and saw there is no module for video cards with older bios, it was removed in 4.xx
Test it and see for yourself
I can confirm this in AB350 ITX and X370 ITX running 4.51
And yes the 3 video cards boot with no problems in other sistems
The bios sets the primary graphics to PCIe from default si its not that either, and switching the integrated graphics to disabled did not help, but why should it when the bios does not the the initialization module for video cards without GOP bios....

Edited by cristy6100 - 28 Mar 2018 at 7:34pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 4:20am
well in my case if i disable csm, it beeps 5 times, then it restarts and csm gets enabled
smt funky is there
coz csm is for legacy stuffs
and my gpu has uefi bios (gpu-z says so) as it is gtx 1060, but it cant run atm in uefi mode
but my gtx 760 has legacy/uefi switch working in csm

Edited by kerberos_20 - 27 Mar 2018 at 4:21am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 6:56pm
Clearly a problem here, I did not try with a card that has UEFI bios yet, but I plugged in a trusty nVidia Quadro NVS290 (this thing is over 11 years old and still works in Windows 10, I use it at work to test PCIe slot/motherboards for defects)  and again no boot with it, this never happend on any system, even first gen PCIe 1.x motherboards, like the 775 with intel 915 chipset boots this card...
Strange indeed, and I dont have a Bristol Ridge to downgrade the bios to 3.xx to test out, I just sold both of mine dammit....
If you have a Summit Ridge, try and downgrade to Bridge Bios but not lower until someone confirms the downgrade is safe.
Need to find a video card with UEFI and test more.
I am waiting for ASRock respones regarding all the bugs I found, but no reply yet from the support team.

Edited by cristy6100 - 27 Mar 2018 at 6:59pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 4:36am
csmvideo module exists in bios, so its not gone
tho it says its version 1.0, but its different than that one in 3.x bios which is also 1.0

btw i have uefi card and cant use eufi mode on it, it runs only in legacy
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 5:15am
I have no option for video device when I enable CSM, just PXE and Storage, are you sure you checked with 4.xx bios? Or did you decompile bios and found the module itself? It may be present in the uefe file but not enabled for use in current bios

Edited by cristy6100 - 28 Mar 2018 at 5:15am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 5:34am
bios 4.53

gtx 1060

uefi bios is present
its bugged :P

gtx 760 runs fine in both csm/legacy
so as far as i can see, u guys cant run legacy driver, while i cant run gop driver qq

Edited by kerberos_20 - 28 Mar 2018 at 5:40am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic