ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen 2xxx AGESA Code Potential Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen 2xxx AGESA Code Potential Issues
    Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 11:51am
I decided to upgrade my Taichi X370 from version 3.00 BIOS to 4.60 back in mid March.

A few days later I noticed some problems when attempting to play PUBG with the game constantly crashing on start up or when attempting to go back to the game lobby at the end of a game (on the occasions when it did start). Reading through the PUBG forums over the last month in an attempt to solve the issue, it became evident that a lot of people are now experiencing a similar issue and it appears that predominantly the people suffering the problem are Ryzen users who are running a CPU overclock.

Today I attempted to solve the problem by returning my Ryzen 1700 back to default clocks while retaining the RAM overclock @ 3466 MHz and the problem disappeared.

Doing some more reading, it appears that a lot of Ryzen users are experiencing issues with a number of games of late, with reports of PUBG, Battlefield1, Battlefront and War Thunder suffering a number of problems with audio and game crashes. Given the timing of these issues all seem to be new with a lot of users having issues particularly with the newer Ryzen 2xxx series CPUs, I decided to revert my BIOS back to version 3.00 to see whether my issues with PUBG remained when overclocking the CPU; they didn't.

This leads me to think that there is potentially an issue with the AGESA code currently being rolled out for the Ryzen 2xxx series that will become more apparent when the newer CPU release later this month.

Is anyone else experiencing any similar issues with the newer BIOS versions that support the new 2xxx CPUs?

Edited by TooQik - 08 Apr 2018 at 11:52am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 11:17pm
i cant help with any experiance with the later ryzen 2 bios

ive stuck with 3.1 for a while now as i find its working very well for me

i think it needs a bit of time under the belt so to speak with the new agesa to mature
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 3:52pm
Thanks for the reply datonyb.

Yes, it's early days for the new AGESA code and Ryzen 2xxx, so it's understandable that there will be some teething issues. It's just a shame that the newer AGESA versions seem to affect AMD's first generation CPU adversely.

I did notice that some people with Coffee Lake CPUs were also suffering a similar issue with PUBG, so maybe both new CPU families are doing something similar in their processing that is causing the problem. Time will no doubt tell.
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 7:05pm
PUBG is a badly coded game, its not Intel and AMD's fault there, its just the developers fault, poorly written code can only be fixed by the developers.
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
akumajou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote akumajou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by cristy6100 cristy6100 wrote:

PUBG is a badly coded game, its not Intel and AMD's fault there, its just the developers fault, poorly written code can only be fixed by the developers.

Pretty sure it is AMD's fault (see: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/99778/audio-cutouts-on-ryzen-overclock-on-bf1-bf4-swbf-inquisition).

If I had known Ryzen systems would be riddled with so many glaring bugs a year after it's release, I would have stuck with Intel. This has been a nightmare; having to wait for a UEFI update to see if it fixes things we've taken for granted from Intel for a decade. Maybe ASRock is at fault and not AMD. I don't have another system to contrast it with.
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by cristy6100 cristy6100 wrote:

While I agree wholeheartedly that PUBG is a badly coded game, in this particular instance there is definitely an issue with the AGESA code for the Pinnacle Ridge CPUs pertaining to what appears to be core assignment on start up.
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by akumajou akumajou wrote:

Pretty sure it is AMD's fault (see: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/99778/audio-cutouts-on-ryzen-overclock-on-bf1-bf4-swbf-inquisition).

If I had known Ryzen systems would be riddled with so many glaring bugs a year after it's release, I would have stuck with Intel. This has been a nightmare; having to wait for a UEFI update to see if it fixes things we've taken for granted from Intel for a decade. Maybe ASRock is at fault and not AMD. I don't have another system to contrast it with.

The problem appears to be with the AGESA code itself, so not an ASRock issue, as there are reports of other manufacturer's motherboards running the latest AGESA version (Pinnacle Ridge) having the same issue.

I personally wouldn't be holding AMD over a fire for this, I believe they are actually doing a great job. Intel has had years to fine tune their Core architecture while Zen has only been in the consumer domain for just on 12 months. Every new architecture has teething issues.

Edited by TooQik - 09 Apr 2018 at 8:51pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 1:38am
Originally posted by TooQik TooQik wrote:

I personally wouldn't be holding AMD over a fire for this, I believe they are actually doing a great job. Intel has had years to fine tune their Core architecture while Zen has only been in the consumer domain for just on 12 months. Every new architecture has teething issues.

and as much to blame game coders have been writing for intel and nvidia combinations for the last 10 years.................now the market is showing strong buyers and users of the zen cores they have to learn how to make it work

maybe once again im trouble free as i just smash the be-jesus out of tanks on WOT, im not playing any other titles
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 3:03am
I see, well thanks for providing the link, upon searching the webs its seems indeed there are audio cutout issues on some Ryzen systems and some games, AGESA 1.0.0.2a was released this month so ASRock AM4 boards are two AGESA versions behind the latest one available, currently latest UEFI's provide AGESA PinnaclePI 1.0.0.1a, then we have PinnaclePI 1.0.0.2 and PinnaclePI 1.0.0.2a

Edited by cristy6100 - 10 Apr 2018 at 3:04am
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
davet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote davet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 8:48am
I can confirm the PUBG crash since Pinnacle AGESA (4.xx versions on Taichi).

And you cant blame PUBG devs for this one. The crash is inside the Unreal Engine code.
I think it appeared after PUBG updated its Unreal Engine version some weeks ago.
Seems like Epic doesn't test their Engine on overclocked AMD CPUs with bleeding edge BIOS :P

I hope this is fixed in the new released AGESA versions and ASRock will release a new BIOS soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic