ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi CSM bug - code 0E

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi CSM bug - code 0E
    Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:36pm
EDIT:

This thread is now about a bug when disabling CSM on the X399 Taichi, which is a required step in making an NVMe RAID array bootable. Myself and other users can consistently replicate an issue where the board does not boot and gives code 0E after disabling CSM. It may be intermittent as I was able to get the board to boot on one occasion, even as far as installing windows 10, but then upon reboot the code was thrown, and it wouldn't boot again.

Edited by Tangles - 13 Apr 2018 at 2:05pm
Tangles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 8:52am
AMD released an update back on the 2nd Oct 2017 that was supposed to enable booting from NVMe RAID. That coincides with a BIOS update from ASRock that enabled NVMe RAID, so I think I can safely assume v2.00 should support booting from NVMe RAID. According to AMD's announcement, disabling CSM is a requirement of doing this:

Quote Q: Is your NVMe RAID solution bootable?

A: Yes. Create the RAID array with the RAID management menu(s) in your BIOS, then proceed with Windows installation. Please ensure that your system is in pure UEFI mode by installing Windows with Compatibility Support Module (CSM) disabled in your BIOS. You will also need the NVMe RAID driver on a flash drive, as the Windows installer will ask for it before your array can be detected.

The NVMe RAID does not show up as a bootable device so it doesn't appear it's possible without disabling CSM.

Edited by Tangles - 13 Apr 2018 at 2:06pm
Tangles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 4:33pm
-snip-

Edited by Tangles - 13 Apr 2018 at 6:09am
Tangles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 5:55pm
Tried a lot of things... got windows to install, then rebooted and bam, code 0E. Have tried different RAM, and a different graphics card to no effect.

I'm officially over it, I'll use my two 960 drives in standalone until there's a fix. Not really ideal Angry

Edited by Tangles - 13 Apr 2018 at 2:07pm
JayB33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JayB33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 10:24pm
I get the same error code when disabling CSM and IOMMU both together on my x399 Pro Gaming Fata1ity. See:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7022&KW=&PID=42865&title=x399-taichi-raid-win10-install#top

I wanted to enable RAID but I didn't get any further because I simply don't want to disconnect any of my SATA drives, which is what ASRock suggested as the likely remedy. I need all my SATA drives. Fix the 0E BIOS error please!

Edited by JayB33 - 12 Apr 2018 at 10:25pm
Tangles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:07am
Thanks for the reply! I actually haven't disabled IOMMU - with the newest win10 builds (1703 / 1709) it boots fine off the USB. I can see how the same incompatibility with previous versions of windows might exist with your rescue disk though

Definitely something is buggy with disabling CSM.

Edited by Tangles - 13 Apr 2018 at 2:13pm
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:37am
Yeah!!!!!! Asrock need their bios programers to sort this out, unbelievable Asrock can let this issue slide without addressing it at the coding level.
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
Tangles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 2:16pm
I have sent ASRock a service request. It'd be good to have some more solid confirmations for them - are you guys both willing and able to confirm that after a BIOS reset that disabling the CMS causes the error to be thrown? It might take a couple of reboots if you haven't changed any other settings... mine did boot after disabling CSM and I even got as far as installing win10 but then it threw the code again next boot and I had to reset the BIOS to get it going again.

Your RAM, SSD, and PSU specs might be handy too, JayB33
JayB33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayB33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 2:59pm
[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]
Originally posted by Tangles Tangles wrote:

[URL=][/URL]I have sent ASRock a service request. It'd be good to have some more solid confirmations for them -?are you guys both willing and able to confirm that after a BIOS reset that disabling the CMS causes the error to be thrown? It might take a couple of reboots if you haven't changed any other settings... mine did boot after disabling CSM and I even got as far as installing win10 but then it threw the code again next boot and I had to reset the BIOS to get it going again.

Your RAM, SSD, and PSU specs might be handy too, JayB33

I can disable CSM on its own successfully, but not CSM + IOMMU together after a BIOS reset. I emailed ASRock already about it and they told me to remove all devices and try again because they have tested these settings with no BIOS code error. There may be other combinations that cause the error, but I do not wish to remove any devices from my system just to test this issue, because they should run fine, I need it all connected, and I don't want the downtime.

My specs are:

ThermalTake View 71 TG RGB Case
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W Power Supply Unit
ASRock X399 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X CPU
nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 GPU
TXD416G3600HC18ADC01 - 4x RAM Modules
Samsung 960 Pro - 3x 512 GB NVMe Drives
Samsung 950 Pro - 512 GB SSD
Samsung 940 Pro - 256 GB SSD
Crucial M4 - 256 GB SSD
XSPC Raystorm Neo (AMD sTR4) Chrome CPU Waterblock
AquaComputer Kryographics 1080 Nickel GPU Waterblock
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS 420 Radiator
Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC 2000 RPM IP67 PWM 140mm - 3x Radiator Fans
ThermalTake Riing 14 RGB - 3x Case Fans
XSPC Photon D5 270 Reservoir
AquaComputer D5 Pump Motor
AquaComputer Aquaero 6 LT Fan Controller
Mayhems XT-1 UV Green Coolant
Mayhems Ultra Clear 16 / 10 Tubing
Bitspower Black Sparkle 16 / 10 Fittings
EK-AF Black Nickel 10MM Ball Valve
Schiit Audio Modi DAC
Schiit Audio Magni Headphone Amplifier
Schiit Audio Loki Hardware Equalizer
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro Headphones
Dali Zensor 1 Speakers
Amptastic Mini 1 Speaker Amplifier
Atacama SL600 Speaker Stands
Steelseries Rival 300 Mouse
Steelseries Dex Mouse Mat

Edited by JayB33 - 13 Apr 2018 at 3:02pm
Tangles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by JayB33 JayB33 wrote:

I can disable CSM on its own successfully, but not CSM + IOMMU together after a BIOS reset. I emailed ASRock already about it ... but I do not wish to remove any devices from my system 

I'll have another play and see if I can pin it down to just CSM or CSM + a combination of things. I'm fairly certain I can reset bios, then disable CSM only and it will throw the code but I'll confirm.

Gotta play their game if you want them to put time into fixing the issue...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic