ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 extreme6 slooooow boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 12:36pm
I was too disgusted to post again after my last one because it happened again. Multiple times of clearing the CMOS until you get the initial setup screen will bring the Intel ports back. For some reason the ASMedia ports never have this problem, so you can use them until you get the fault cleared. 

I use Linux for my OS and I have this problem every time the bootloader updates. Every. Single. Time. This is my last ASRock board. I already have a replacement from a different brand. I need a stable, reliable machine and this is not cutting it.
drpaneas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpaneas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 2:27am
Hello guys,

I've just purchased mine, and after one week I have the exact same problem as you earlier mentioned. One way to fix the loooong POST is to disable the USB Legacy. But, if you do that, you can no longer go into BIOS (mouse and keyboard doesn't work). I've also checked *ALL* the possible combinations into USB bios settings but the Intel USB 3.0 ports are NOT working at all.

I've also sent an e-mail to ASRock waiting for a reply. This is ... lame.

PS: I've updated to the latest firmware. Nothing happened.

Edited by drpaneas - 03 Jan 2016 at 2:27am
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 8:25am
Clearing the CMOS seems to have fixed it again for now.
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 9:31am
Yes that is what I was referring to. Ubuntu, at least, takes care of loading that when you enable third-part drivers. What I was wondering was what the heck did I do to "fix" it the last time? I wasn't really paying attention anymore since I did not expect it to work at that point but it was a different screen than I had seen before.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

re: microcode

Have you seen the below:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25512/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File

Scratch that. Doesn't apply here
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by jglynn43 jglynn43 wrote:

No Windows on this kubuntu box Smile and I'm starting to wonder if that might be part of the problem. Immediately prior to the last failure I had updated my kernel and rebooted. Perhaps the microcode update caused a problem with what was in the CMOS?

re: microcode

Have you seen the below:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25512/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 6:33am
No Windows on this kubuntu box Smile and I'm starting to wonder if that might be part of the problem. Immediately prior to the last failure I had updated my kernel and rebooted. Perhaps the microcode update caused a problem with what was in the CMOS?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 5:38am
Look in Device Manager that you quite possibly have the ubiquitous "Unknown Device" listed please.
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 1:43am
I wanted to post a followup to this issue. First the usb ports do still have power. On a lark, I plugged my phone into one of the "dead" ports. The device was not recognized but it did charge. 

Secondly, due to an unrelated issue of an unrecognized IDE by the BIOS, I had to reset the CMOS. After 5 or 6 resets to get the IDE drive working, the Dr DOS USB error that I had been seeing was also gone. The formerly non-working USB ports now worked and the boot time was back to 2 seconds.

For about a week. Then it was back to broken and the CMOS reset trick doesn't seem to be working this time. Is there some undocumented factory reset I just happened to stumble on before?
core9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote core9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 2:59am
I'm seeing the same issue you are describing jglynn43. Slow boot 20-30 seconds to POST and the non-working USB. I need to inspect the board in more detail and post my findings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic