ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 extreme6 slooooow boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

re: microcode

Have you seen the below:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25512/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File

Scratch that. Doesn't apply here
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 9:31am
Yes that is what I was referring to. Ubuntu, at least, takes care of loading that when you enable third-part drivers. What I was wondering was what the heck did I do to "fix" it the last time? I wasn't really paying attention anymore since I did not expect it to work at that point but it was a different screen than I had seen before.
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 8:25am
Clearing the CMOS seems to have fixed it again for now.
drpaneas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpaneas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 2:27am
Hello guys,

I've just purchased mine, and after one week I have the exact same problem as you earlier mentioned. One way to fix the loooong POST is to disable the USB Legacy. But, if you do that, you can no longer go into BIOS (mouse and keyboard doesn't work). I've also checked *ALL* the possible combinations into USB bios settings but the Intel USB 3.0 ports are NOT working at all.

I've also sent an e-mail to ASRock waiting for a reply. This is ... lame.

PS: I've updated to the latest firmware. Nothing happened.

Edited by drpaneas - 03 Jan 2016 at 2:27am
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 12:36pm
I was too disgusted to post again after my last one because it happened again. Multiple times of clearing the CMOS until you get the initial setup screen will bring the Intel ports back. For some reason the ASMedia ports never have this problem, so you can use them until you get the fault cleared. 

I use Linux for my OS and I have this problem every time the bootloader updates. Every. Single. Time. This is my last ASRock board. I already have a replacement from a different brand. I need a stable, reliable machine and this is not cutting it.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 1:46pm
Just sayin', Linux is not supported, which is the response you would get from support, sorry to say.

You must know as a Linux-type user, you're on your own getting the things you use to work correctly. Zero mention of Linux in the Specifications, this and other ASRock boards are not marketed towards Linux users.

Mother boards are becoming less generic, at least with Intel processors and chipsets. The new Intel 100 series chipsets do not support Windows 7 100%, you must add the USB 3.0 drivers to the Windows 7 installation package.

Can you install Linux with an EFI bootloader? Disable CSM in the UEFI, or at least use the EFI Storage Option ROM? Either of these things will reduce POST time. That of course assumes Linux storage drivers can work with Intel EFI storage Option ROMs.

How does Linux interface with the Intel Management Engine firmware that is part of the UEFI?

If an Intel 9 series chipset (Z97) board is giving you grief with Linux, don't go to the new 100 series chipset boards, they will likely be even less cooperative.

Will a different board manufacture help? IMO, no.
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:30pm
Almost no one says they support Linux. So what. This is hardware. Yes, UEFI is supported in all distros that I know of. Linux is not the problem. It works great until you have to update. You just do that more often with Linux than other OS's. I suspect the other ones will have the same problem in that instance. Stop being a fanboi. This design sucks.
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:44pm
I hate to respond to my own post post but wow did you completely miss the whole point of this thread. The USB ports stop working. Completely. Even before the OS is loaded. So how is that related to the OS smartguy?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:57pm
I am sorry but I see no fanboism here. The simple fact is that you are using an unsupported OS that for whatever reason is conflicting with your hardware and causing an issue. It is not a hardware fault, if it were we would be seeing numerous other posts complaining about similar behavior in Windows. Linux is a crowd developed OS and does not offer the same degree of hardware compatibility as Windows. I can understand your frustration and desire to switch brands given the product you purchased is not living up to your expectations, that is fair enough but to say it is badly designed or defective is unfounded and inaccurate. Its like buying a car you plan to convert to LPG only to discover that that particular model is not compatible with the modification, it is hardly the manufacturers fault that a third party has not made a conversion kit for that particular model yet. Just because UEFI is supported by all distros does not mean there are no bugs. If you are an avid linux user you should already be well aware of this fact. Linux is not an install and forget OS and while it is a fantastic piece of software it is not without it's faults.

Before you fly off the handle and start accusing moderators of being fanbois try contacting tech support directly with your issue and see if they are able to help you. Even though linux is not a supported OS there may well be something that can be done, be it reverting to a previous BIOS version or some workaround. 

[edit] The OS effects the UEFI so yes, it can be OS related. Unlike the old simple BIOS system the UEFI is designed to interact with the OS. Now it may not be the OS but the only way to rule it out is to install Windows and check if the problem persists. Please cease the inflammatory comments, the people posting here have been trying to help you and do not deserve to be insulted for taking the time to reply to you.

Edited by Xaltar - 03 Jan 2016 at 5:00pm
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 5:39pm
Thank you for responding. I'm not trying to insult the moderators. It's just that they (including you) are missing the point. It's not about Linux vs whatever. It works great when first installed. No issues at all. It's just that after any update to the kernel all the USB ports are dead. This requires a reset of the motherboard to factory defaults to reactivate them. Other OS's e.g. Windows, OSX, do not update the boot partition with the regularity that Linux does. 

There is no way a bootloader update should cause my USB ports to stop working without a fault of some kind. This is a defect and if done by design, a design flaw. I'm sorry if you don't like to hear that.

[edit] Just saw your edit. The only people who tried to help me were the noobs. You guys all blew me off.

Edited by jglynn43 - 03 Jan 2016 at 5:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic