ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Z170 Extreme4 UEFI freeze

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Z170 Extreme4 UEFI freeze
    Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 11:22pm
I have an ASRock Z170 Extreme4 motherboard  with 1.6 bios.
I've been experiencing occasional freezes while navigating UEFI menus. The mouse cursor still moves, but the interface stops responding. Sometimes it recovers after a while but most of the times it requires a hard reset. 
It's not a critical problem, but it can be very annoying. 
Does anyone know what might be the cause, and how to solve it? 

The rest of the system is composed of an i7 6700k, with 2*8GB of RAM from G.skill and an hd5770 from powercolor, with an OCZ arc100 as boot drive. 

Thanks in advance. 
pvg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 7:47pm
4 days in, I must confess I was expecting a bit more "Support"... :(
tjlewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:20am
Just thought I'd add I've been experiencing the same with 1.80
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by pvg pvg wrote:

I have an ASRock Z170 Extreme4 motherboard  with 1.6 bios.
I've been experiencing occasional freezes while navigating UEFI menus. The mouse cursor still moves, but the interface stops responding. Sometimes it recovers after a while but most of the times it requires a hard reset. 
It's not a critical problem, but it can be very annoying. 
Does anyone know what might be the cause, and how to solve it? 

The rest of the system is composed of an i7 6700k, with 2*8GB of RAM from G.skill and an hd5770 from powercolor, with an OCZ arc100 as boot drive. 

Thanks in advance. 

Your issue is not an easy thing to diagnose. It could simply be a problem with the UEFI itself, and at least we have one other user that seems to confirm the same thing. It would likely take more complaints about your issue to get it checked into.

I experienced a similar thing with my ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board, the first time I started the board/PC. The UEFI seemed slow to respond a few times. But that behavior has completely stopped and I had forgotten about it until I saw your thread.

What model of mouse are you using, and which USB port are you using? If not a USB mouse, please describe it for us.

I just noticed that your board's IO panel has all USB 3.0 ports. If possible, if your PC case has a USB 2.0 port that is convenient enough to try using your mouse with, please try that USB port and see if it makes any difference.

I assume that Windows works fine, and no problems with your mouse?
siim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:17am
I'm having the same random freezing issue with Z170 Extreme6 board. It has happened about 3 times by now. Both with shipping bios version (can't remember what number exactly) and with latest 1.5.
I'm using a Logitech G5 mouse and Logitech K800 KB. Both were plugged into rear USB 3 ports.
vannex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vannex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:44pm
I have the Z170 Pro4S motherboard (UEFI version 2.10) and I'm also experiencing the random UEFI freezing issue.  Whenever I need to change something in the UEFI, I have to get in and rush to make the change quickly before it freezes.  Seems like this problem is affecting more than one motherboard in the Z170 chipset series.
Cosmin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 3:47pm
I also have issues with BIOS freezing randomly. Z170 Extreme6, BIOS version 1.60 (latest). Sent an e-mail 2 days ago through ASRock web form, I have yet to hear back from them.

The issues also extend to BIOS becoming inaccesible because pressing Del will instantly reset the system instead of entering BIOS. Also, the keyboard randomly doesn't work in BIOS. Very dissapointing product. I will decide next week if I will return the board or keep it because the thought of going through the process of dissasembling the PC again, return the MB, order a new MB, wait for it to arrive is too much for the little time that I have.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 4:32pm
I can understand the frustration with issues like this. The Z170 series boards are still very new and no doubt still suffering from some teething problems. UEFI instability is not an unresolvable issue fortunately which means it shouldn't be long before BIOS updates are released that fix the issue. In all likelihood ASRock is already working on the issue and has not replied support issues on the matter because it is already under way. ASRock are not the best when it comes to communication sadly so often times people get the impression that they do not care or that they are being ignored. The truth is, ASRock tech support is actually pretty good with providing fixes, their communication is just weak. I know for a fact that they do not ignore your requests, they simply do not like to answer with "we are working on it" or "we are still figuring it out". They will get back to you when they have a solution. Keep an eye on your product pages for new updates, I am sure there will be some progress on that front soon. ASRock Tech support may not be the best out there but they do get it done.
Cosmin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 7:30pm
They don't need to respond to individual e-mails but what they could do is put an announcement for the Z170 series products page with big bold red letters stating that they are aware of the BIOS issues and they are working on them.

It's quite hard to trust them when they don't even communicate with us. I also saw many complaints and RMA's on newegg. They actually did respond there, to each individual review/complaint.

I am a first-time user of an ASRock MB and I was initially wary of them because of their (past?) ties to ASUS which I will never touch again on the MB side since a few years back when I had 2 boards from different generations fail on me completely (they were mid to upper tier, Deluxe class). And now I get this headache when finally deciding to upgrade to Skylake after 8 years (from a Q6600).

I just wanted a solid board that won't fail on me with normal usage (I have I7-6700, not K, not interested in OC-ing). I have little time on my hands to play around with an unstable product.

Fortunately, the system works well when not trying to do stuff in BIOS but given these issues I wonder what other surprises my ASRock MB has in store for me. I will have to do some extensive system-wide benchmarks and see if there are other potential issues derived from the still beta stage BIOS.
TrisRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrisRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 1:22am
Hi All,

I have a Z170 Extreme6 with a 6700K @4.5GHz and 4 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M4A2666C15 @2800MHz.

I also have this UEFI freezing problem, it has done it on 1.00 (as shipped), 1.10, 1.20 and 1.40. I haven't tried anything later than 1.40 yet.

I have tried two different mice and keyboards in both the USB 2 & 3 ports but it didn't make a difference. It seems the only thing to do is to get in and back out of the UEFI as quickly as possible before a freeze happens!

I hope ASRock can come up with a fix soon, it's spoiling an otherwise fantastic motherboard. In normal use, it's absolutely rock solid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic