ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi X370 Bios 4.60 Down Clocking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi X370 Bios 4.60 Down Clocking
    Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 3:53am
Updated the BIOS on my Taichi X370/1700X system.  The settings I have bee using forever are:

OC Mode Chage Switch-ASRock Setting (???)
Over Clock Mode-Manual
CPU Frequency and Voltage Change-Manual
CPU Frequency-3875
CPU Voltage-1.35625
Load XMP Setting-Profile 1 (Flare X Memory 3200-14)
CPU LLC-Level 2
VDDCR LLC-Level 2

Everything else is pretty much set to the defaults.

Under Bios 3.2 all was well according to AMD Ryzen Master and CPUZ.  The system down clocked when idle and the Vcore dropped accordingly.

Now with Bios 4.6 the system does not down clock but the Vcore does drop when the system is idle.  Both AMD Ryzen Master and CPUZ 1.84 report the same thing.

What am I missing?  Is there another Bios setting I need to play with to get back to "Normal" or is this just progress?

Edited by Ken429 - 29 Apr 2018 at 3:56am
X470 Taichi, 3800X (BIOS Defaults), BIOS v3.60, Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB, 2 crucial MX500 1TB, G.Skill 2X 2X8 3200-14, EVGA 1660Ti SC, EVGA 750 G3, W10 1903

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 7:37pm

can i ask why update the bios in first place ?

the taichi didnt need anything from bios 3.1/3.2 onwards unless you want to run 2XXX ryzen cpus
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Spaceminer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaceminer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 8:25pm
Try setting your OC to anything that ends in 25. Example: 3.825ghz or 3.725ghz. I have this same problem on Bios 4.4 for my ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 itx. This is the only thing that solves it for me. If it ends in 0, 50, or 75, mine won't down clock for me either. I'm hoping this will work for you too.

Edited by Spaceminer - 29 Apr 2018 at 8:26pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaceminer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

can i ask why update the bios in first place?

There are still bugs present in the Bios of many ASRock AM4 boards. Dram voltage resetting is another one that I get, along with this down clock issue. I plan on updating mine too.

Edited by Spaceminer - 29 Apr 2018 at 8:33pm
Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:02pm
ASRock setting in newer BIOS is what you don't want to use in the newer BIOS if you are trying to get it to downclock.  Use P-state overclocking with AMD CBS option instead.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaceminer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Reinvented Reinvented wrote:

ASRock setting in newer BIOS is what you don't want to use in the newer BIOS if you are trying to get it to downclock.? Use P-state overclocking with AMD CBS option instead.

The ASRock OC mode actually changes P-0 on my board. I get the same result if I do it through AMD CBS too. I still end up with the same C-states available. It still just refuses to down clock if the multiplier doesn't end in 25.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:20am
Yes, it's supposed to change it.  

Change to AMD CBS mode.  Use offset voltage, set P-state 0 FID only.  

Post your settings when you do it, so we can make sure you are doing it correctly. 
freestaler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freestaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 4:29pm
Dont change CPU Multi in Bios higher as P.4.40 if you not will loss a lot of Bandwidth of Memory and Caches (AGESA 1.0.0.1a + has a Bug). Change it in Windows with AMD Master Tool. Then aso downclock works. 

If you still would use P-State, just set P0, P1 and P2 (for me it works) to Custom. And Change only P0.
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 4:33pm
Looks like I have the same problem!

I've tried:

OC Mode Change Switch= AMD CBS Setting
Voltage Mode=OC Mode
CPU Vcore Voltage=Offset
Offset Voltage=Auto
PState0=Custom
Pstate1...7=Auto

Same as above except:
Pstate0=Custom
Pstate1=Custom
Pstate2=Custom
Pstate4...7Disabled

Neither work ed.  Voltage reduces when Idle but the system does not downclock.  The second set of settings used to work way back on Bios day 1 or 2.  Then somewhere along the way ASrock fixed the Bios so that the standard Advanced OC settings worked.  Now it looks like they've take three steps backword!

The only thing I haven't tried is clearing the Bios and then just setting Pstate0.  Is that what was done on those that have the system working "properly"?

X470 Taichi, 3800X (BIOS Defaults), BIOS v3.60, Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB, 2 crucial MX500 1TB, G.Skill 2X 2X8 3200-14, EVGA 1660Ti SC, EVGA 750 G3, W10 1903

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Ken429 Ken429 wrote:

Looks like I have the same problem!

I've tried:

OC Mode Change Switch= AMD CBS Setting
Voltage Mode=OC Mode
CPU Vcore Voltage=Offset
Offset Voltage=Auto
PState0=Custom
Pstate1...7=Auto

Same as above except:
Pstate0=Custom
Pstate1=Custom
Pstate2=Custom
Pstate4...7Disabled

Neither work ed.  Voltage reduces when Idle but the system does not downclock.  The second set of settings used to work way back on Bios day 1 or 2.  Then somewhere along the way ASrock fixed the Bios so that the standard Advanced OC settings worked.  Now it looks like they've take three steps backword!

The only thing I haven't tried is clearing the Bios and then just setting Pstate0.  Is that what was done on those that have the system working "properly"?

You still have the same problem because you aren't doing it correctly.  

AMD CBS Setting
Voltage Mode = Stable Mode
CPU Core Voltage = Offset  (Value of what it takes to hit 1.35)
CPU LLC = Level 2
SOC Voltage = Auto
SOC LLC = Level 2

Pstate 0 = Custom
Pstate 0 FID = 9b  (play with this to get your desired overclock)
All other pstates at auto.

In Windows after you are done, you need to change the power plans minimum processor state to 25% or 50%.  

Your computer wasn't downclocking properly before either, cause what you had was an all core overclock.  

Edited by Reinvented - 30 Apr 2018 at 4:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic