ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

(Solved) Brand new J5005-ITX does not boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Solved) Brand new J5005-ITX does not boot
    Posted: 06 May 2018 at 12:40am
[URL=][/URL]Today I've assembled my new system based on ASRock J5005-ITX, and it refuses to boot.There is no POST, the screen is totally blank (monitor then goes to sleep). After power is on, chassis cooler spins up and works, and that's it.
I've tried swapping RAM slots, no success. When turning on without RAM speaker beeps three times indicating ram test failed, so motherboard is not completely dead.
I've also tried switching PSUs - neither small pico Chieftec 350W nor fully-fledged Antec 750W 80 PLUS Gold change anything.
I've even tried connecting another old chassis cooler to PSU molex pins to get additional load on 12V line (forums say this CPU has so small energy consumption that PSU may not recognize it at all). Still no change.
Note - I know this platform is designed to work with Windows 10, and I have Ubuntu. But, since I don't get POST and BIOS, OS is definitely not the root cause here.?
I have complaint RAM (Corsair CMSO8GX4M1A2133C15) and PSU (old Atom Dual-Core D525-based system works just fine with it). What is causing the issue? How to get system to boot?
p.s. I did try clearing CMOS with battery removal multiple times. No changes as well.

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 07 Apr 2020 at 10:38am
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:23am
Which video port are you using ? It is best to use the DVI port to setup and configure a new system.
Also: looking at the manual make sure you have nothing connected to the chassis intrusion/speaker  header until you can get into BIOS, just to be sure the intrusion part is not preventing boot-up.
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
Crow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by badbri badbri wrote:

Which video port are you using ? It is best to use the DVI port to setup and configure a new system.
I've tried both VGA and DVI, no difference.
Originally posted by badbri badbri wrote:

Also: looking at the manual make sure you have nothing connected to the chassis intrusion/speaker  header until you can get into BIOS, just to be sure the intrusion part is not preventing boot-up.
Last time I had only RAM, ATX, DVI, and POWERBTN connected.
Crow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:41pm
Update - tried another RAM module, with it POST was shown, but entering BIOS halted the system. After that system died completely, and next time POST appeared only after CMOS reset. Decided to return the mobo and be cautious to ASRock ITX solutions. Desktop ones seems to be very much legit (had Z68 Extreme4 previously, swapped it to Z370 Taichi recently, no problems so far).

Edited by Crow - 09 May 2018 at 10:41pm
Domspun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Domspun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:27am
I am experiencing the exact same problem, except I am using Kingston DDR4 PC2400. I didn't find any memory module locally that is listed on the website, but I went with the most common within the specs.

Is it only working with a few ram modules??
Domspun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Domspun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 8:23pm
Managed to make it work. Had the store test some rams, finally got one that work. It's a 8gb G.Skill module at 2133mhz. Unfortunatly, I am stuck with 2 ram modules that I have no use for.

This motherboard has the worst ram compatibility I ever saw. Instead of saying "support DDR4 2133/2400 so dimm", it should say "compatible with specific ram modules, see list". Even so, OP had the Corsair that is in the list and it didn't work.
anakinka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anakinka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 6:32pm
I have the same problem. I bought HyperX Impact Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2400 HX424S14IBK2/8 memory and it does not work at all. So I tried Crucial SO-DIMM 8GB KIT DDR4 2400MHz CL17 and it fortunately worked. I contacted the support if there is better memory support in newer BIOS (I use v1.0), but they just replied some general tooltips like: "Reinstall memory modules, and confirm they're installed correctly.".
Domspun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Domspun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 6:37pm
I had the same memory. I couldn't find any 4gb that could work at the store, so the PC run on a single 8gb. ASRock told me to return the motherboard for a refund. I already bought 16gb of ram that I can't use in other PC, so I'll keep it as is.
anakinka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anakinka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:54pm
Did you try to update BIOS?
Zerreth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zerreth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 6:57am
(after convoluted TXE flash, do they expect normal consumers to do this ?!) BIOS 1.4 does not seem to help memory compatibility with Kingston HyperX Impact (2x4GB) at all. (HX421S13IBK2/8) No Boot with both sticks inserted.

Very disappointing. I've never encountered ram incompatibility before in the past 15 years of building PCs. AMD & Intel. Even 1st gen Ryzen just worked for me. At most I needed an old CPU to perform a bios update.

Ending up spending 80 euros on a new memory kit just to get it working with this very picky board while I got the Kingston HyperX kit for only 27 euros through some friends.

Edited by Zerreth - 19 Sep 2018 at 6:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic