ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stability issues with Z97E-ITX/ac mainbaord

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 4:52pm
Setting LLC to 3 did not help either.
duck4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 8:25pm
Due to the lack of other options I have been running the board with turbo and speed step disabled for a while now and I can say that it has been stable with that configuration. I haven't experienced a single crash. Loading the UEFI default makes it unstable again.
I have been searching the net for this problem and have come to the conclusion that I am far from alone with this issue. Lots of other people have had issues with Broadwell CPUs on desktop boards (not only on ASRock boards), but other manufacturers have released BIOS updates since, that seem to fix those issues (e.g. Gigabyte and ASUS). Since I can't find an update on the ASRock website, I was wondering, when I can expect an update?

The way this is (or isn't)  resolved will surely have an influence on which mainboard brand I choose next time. I liked ASRock boards due to their usually good power efficiency, but not being able to use a CPU properly that is supposed to be working on that board, does not leave particularly a good impression.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:27pm
Interesting about disabling Turbo and Speed Step increasing stability. That causes the CPU speed to remain the same as you know. That correlates with my theory I mentioned earlier.

Do you have any idea what the UEFI/BIOS updates contained that the other manufactures apparently provided?
duck4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 2:34am
Yes, the CPU speed is locked at the default clock with those two options disabled. Transitioning between the CPU's C states on the other hand works just fine (it remains mostly in C6 when the CPU is idle). Since those transitions between C0 and the higher C states cause a large difference in current flowing it does not seem to me that the power regulators can't keep up with the changes, otherwise I would expect the system to crash even with turbo disabled (even if maybe less frequently).

I don't know exactly what those UEFI updates contain, as the changelogs are usually rather vague, somthing along the lines of "Improved stability for Broadwell CPUs" or "Better system compatibility for 5th generation processors".
duck4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 5:13pm
Apparently, a CPU microcode update is what fixes the issues.

https://github.com/bgw/bdw-ucode-update-tool

duck4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 3:46pm
My question is still unanswered. Will there be a BIOS/UEFI update any time soon? It can't be that difficult to replace the microcode in the BIOS with the new version.
duck4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 1:27am
Anything?

I've tried loading the microcode update someone extracted from a MSI BIOS (version 0x12 - it seems there is version 0x13 by now which I haven't tried yet. Version 0x13 disables TSX which apperently is also broken on Broadwell) for my CPU under Linux and can confirm that there are no more crashes. Maybe this helps others with the same issue. I have no idea how to do the same thing under Windows though and even under Linux this is more of a stop-gap solution than a real fix. So I'm still waiting for an answer or even better yet, a BIOS update.
Termie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Termie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 2:28am
Ouch... thank you for this not unimportant thread. An i5-5675C is practically ordered here, but now I have to delay this, too bad. I also hope that an updated UEFI/BIOS for Z97E-ITX/ac which fix this issue will be released soon.
Termie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Termie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 2:03am
noticed just now... yesterday many ASRock Z97 boards received a BIOS update, only Z97E-ITX/ac owners leave empty-handed. Confused
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 11:44am
Greetings, This is ASRock Technical Support Department.

Please download the BIOS P2.00 which update Microcode to 13 from the link for try.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97E-ITXac/?cat=Beta 

If any, please feel free to contact us.

Kindest Regards,
ASRock TSD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic