ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stability issues with Z97E-ITX/ac mainbaord

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stability issues with Z97E-ITX/ac mainbaord
    Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 6:41pm
Hello,

I've got the Z97E-ITX/ac mainboard (BIOS V1.80) running with an Intel i5-5675C (Broadwell) CPU and the whole system locks up every now and then without anything being obviously wrong (temperatues and voltages are fine). It seems as if the crashes happen mostly during idle periods or when the system load changes rapidly from high load to low load. When disabling turbo boost in the BIOS the crashes happen a lot less frequently, but still occur every once in a while. I tried three different power supplies (all rather modern 80 plus gold units with 450 or 500 W each), but the problem remains. I've also tried different RAM modules (all of which work fine in other systems). When I stress the CPU with something like mprime on all four cores, the system can run fine for hours and mprime does not report any errors.
Any ideas what might be the issue and how to fix this problem?
TylerL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TylerL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 4:31am
Same problem here with precisely the same combination of board and CPU.
For me, it seems rapid changes in load are the culprit, possibly involving highly-optimized code using AVX extensions. Running batch scripts of these processes is fraught with danger, and I frequently come back to my computer in the morning to find it had reset with an 0x0000009C error.

Running Windows 10 x64
duck4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 11:14pm
So it looks like I'm not alone with this problem.
It seems that the system is stable when I disable both Turbo Boost and Speed Step (or at least the crashes occur so rarely with those settings that I didn't encounter one yet), but this can't seriously be the solution. I bought this mainboard because it is supposed to be energy efficient and not being able to use Speed Step doesn't help here. Also being forced to disable Turbo Boost isn't exactly what I was hoping for when bying the mainboard and CPU.
I would really appreciate if someone from AsRock would respond.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 12:58am
I'm still studying the Intel Datasheet for the Broadwell processors, but the reduced and configurable TDP processors like an i5-5675C (65W TDP standard Max, down to 37W if configured as such) are very interesting.

We don't have much experience with them in the forum, as they are not used by as many PC builders as other processors. In their datasheet, Intel has added more information and cautions about exceeding specific temperature and power limits than other processors, which may be related to your issue. Since you can reduce the instances of the issue by disabling Turbo, that is the first clue that temperature and power limits are likely the cause.

Please keep in mind that this processor is unlike other Intel processors in those respects. The default UEFI/BIOS settings for CPU power limits called for by Intel for this processor and likely implemented by ASRock, might be the cause of your issues. Knowing Intel's conservative nature, I would not be surprised.

Questions for both of you:

What CPU cooler are you using?

duck4, you said temperatures are fine, what are the idle temperatures? It is not well known that the maximum CPU temperature when the CPU is at idle/low clock speed is not the same as the maximum CPU temperature at the maximum CPU clock speed. It is much less.

I suggest increasing the default settings of these options in the OC Tweaker screen, at least as a test to see if that fixes your problem:

Short Duration Power Limit

Long Duration Power Limit

Long Duration Maintained

Primary Plane Current Limit

If you'd like to experiment with those options while in Windows, the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IXTU) program may allow you to do so. Depending upon how Intel has programmed IXTU, it might not let you change some or all of these options, that is common with IXTU. I don't have your CPU, so I don't know either way.

You can find that program here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

duck4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 1:20am
Thank you, parsec for your response!
I'm using the stock CPU cooler (with the thermal pad coming with it). Idle temperature is around 34~35 °C (with ambient temperature of about 21 °C) - seems okay to me.
As for the power limit settings, I've tried changing these already, mostly because I was running out of ideas, what else to try. It seems no matter which values I choose, the crashes remain. If I set very low values, especially for the current limit, the CPU gets noticably slow, other than that, nothing much changes. Explicitly setting the power limit to 65 watts (which is the TDP of the CPU specified by Intel) does not seem to change anything over the BIOS default. I haven't tried going above that value.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 3:09am
One thing I would try in your situation is setting your VCore to a fixed value (override not adaptive). Fire up CPUZ/hwmonitor etc and see what your CPU uses under full load and set your VCore to that in BIOS. Given that you seem to be having issues when the CPU is changing performance states I would lean toward the board not shifting the voltage quickly enough between low to high state changes. Obviously this is not a fix, and you will probably not want to run your CPU on a fixed VCore but it will help determine where the problem is coming from. If my suspicions are correct then it is likely that a BIOS update may be required to better handle performance state switching. If this is so then you will want to send a support ticket to ASRock tech support and link to this thread.

I hope this is of some help.

Edited by Xaltar - 24 Sep 2015 at 3:10am
duck4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 3:36pm
Xaltar, thanks for your suggestion. I've tried using a fixed CPU core voltage, but that alone does not fix the issue. The thing is, there is more than just the CPU core voltage that can vary and I haven't set all of the variable voltages (like the GPU voltage) to fixed values yet. I assume that this might be the right direction, though. Maybe something along the lines of the CPU or GPU voltage not being adjusted in the time frame expected by the CPU when switching between frequency states or something like that. I'm afraid this might be something only fixable by a new BIOS.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 1:25am
Originally posted by duck4 duck4 wrote:

Thank you, parsec for your response!
I'm using the stock CPU cooler (with the thermal pad coming with it). Idle temperature is around 34~35 °C (with ambient temperature of about 21 °C) - seems okay to me.
As for the power limit settings, I've tried changing these already, mostly because I was running out of ideas, what else to try. It seems no matter which values I choose, the crashes remain. If I set very low values, especially for the current limit, the CPU gets noticably slow, other than that, nothing much changes. Explicitly setting the power limit to 65 watts (which is the TDP of the CPU specified by Intel) does not seem to change anything over the BIOS default. I haven't tried going above that value.

I may be seeing your problem, the power limit set to 65W. TDP and processor power are really not the same thing. TDP is really the Thermal Design Power, the (minimum) amount of heat the CPU cooler must be able to dissipate to cool the processor properly. TDP and processor power usage, the latter being an average value, can seem to be the same, but aren't in many cases.

The transient, or short term burst power usage can be more than we ever see in monitoring programs. The power limit default setting on Intel mother boards meant for over clocking processors is set to 4095 Watts. That is the maximum value and overkill, but 65 Watts is very low.

Setting the power limit to a high value does not mean the processor will receive that much power, but only that much is available. Try setting the power limit to 500 Watts.

Also, what is the LLC, Load Line Calibration option set to in the UEFI? The default is 5, the lowest value. If you aren't familiar with LLC, higher settings (1 is the highest) prevent the VCore from drooping or dropping below the normal value, which tends to happen when the CPU power draw increases quickly.

Try setting LLC to 3, and increase the power limit to at least 200 Watts, and see if that helps.
duck4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 2:22am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I may be seeing your problem, the power limit set to 65W. TDP and processor power are really not the same thing. TDP is really the Thermal Design Power, the (minimum) amount of heat the CPU cooler must be able to dissipate to cool the processor properly. TDP and processor power usage, the latter being an average value, can seem to be the same, but aren't in many cases.

I know that they are not the same, but since I am not interested in running the processor beyond its specifications and I do not know the value used by Intel, I've picked a safe choice. I did not run the processor with that setting all the time, I just tried some values to see if there is any difference in stability.

The transient, or short term burst power usage can be more than we ever see in monitoring programs. The power limit default setting on Intel mother boards meant for over clocking processors is set to 4095 Watts. That is the maximum value and overkill, but 65 Watts is very low.

Setting the power limit to a high value does not mean the processor will receive that much power, but only that much is available. Try setting the power limit to 500 Watts.

I can try that, but why would you suspect that it might be stable with that value, but not with 65 W nor 4095 W?

Also, what is the LLC, Load Line Calibration option set to in the UEFI? The default is 5, the lowest value. If you aren't familiar with LLC, higher settings (1 is the highest) prevent the VCore from drooping or dropping below the normal value, which tends to happen when the CPU power draw increases quickly.

Since I left pretty much everything at its default, it is most likely 5 then.

Try setting LLC to 3, and increase the power limit to at least 200 Watts, and see if that helps.

I'll try that.
duck4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 10:23pm
Setting the power limit to the suggested 500 W did not help, the machine still crashes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic