ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Poor bios support X370/X399  will lose customers!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poor bios support X370/X399 will lose customers!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor bios support X370/X399 will lose customers!!
    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 8:08am
ASRocks bios support is so poor to non existent they are going to be loosing lots more customers in the future if they don't improve support for their X370/X399 boards.

For a start complaints are rolling in here; http://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1627407-asrock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread-377.html

And I'm sure users elsewhere are complaining as well, just do a google search for lack of bios support for Asrock X370/X399 and see all the dissatisfied customers!!!

Looks like the general consensus is: good hardware ruined by lack of proper bios support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by lowdog - 07 Jun 2018 at 8:09am
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
_Mael_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Mael_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 6:03pm
Yes support really suck, slow very slow, never more buy asrock board, never
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 10:06pm
What are you actually complaining about here; the length of time it takes to release new BIOS versions, a higher than warranted number of bugs/issues with the BIOSes they release, a combination of the two, or something else entirely?

If it's the speed that ASRock release new BIOS versions then I'm all for ASRock taking their time to get it right. In the early days there were a number of issues reported where ASUS BIOSes bricked the motherboard, I didn't see the same reports with any ASRock BIOS.

As for bugs/issues with BIOSes, sure there are a few, but I'm personally yet to strike anything ground breaking in the versions I've tried. Have things always worked as expected? Nope, but that's part of the teething issue with all new technology.

ajlueke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlueke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 1:56am
I think ASRock was pretty quick in doling out UEFI updates in the early days of Ryzen and X370. We went through numerous iterations until I ultimately settled on version 3.10 back in September.

I get the rated RAM speeds on all fours DIMMs and the overclocks are 100% stable. I am still running my 1800X now, and as all the updates to the AGESA have involved pinnacle ridge, I see no reason to update.

Now however, every time there is a pinnacle ridge update from AMD, ASRock needs to role it out to X470 motherboards and X370. I imagine they are making updates to X470 first as most X470 users are probably using Ryzen 2000 series chips where a fair number of X370 users are still using Ryzen 1000 series. There are beta UEFI out for the X470 boards that have AGESA 1.0.0.2C, so I imagine X370 boards will be port once X470 gets a full release.

Cuba1hr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuba1hr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 3:55am
@ajlueke

Well I don't get rated speeds (well I do, with BSODs all the time) for over an year now...I can only imagine what would happen if I populate remaining 2 slots and try run on 2933MHz. Now with 2700X CPU.
Not everybody got (wasn't available even months after introduction of Ryzen + rise of DRAM price) and running Samsung B-Die RAM. I guess you have 4x8GB.
Official information was the platform would support 64GB total, so I got 2x16GB when it was cheap, Corsair with Hynix (I couldn't know what chips it uses at the time & which ver. will arrive), unaware of incoming problems. And the problems last for over an year now...waiting for a new version of BIOS with better memory support, and another one, and another... Problem is the newer versions of bios get worsen than the previous instead of the opposite!

ASRock Taichi X370 UEFI v4.81; AMD Ryzen R7 2700X; Noctua NH-U12S x2 fans; Corsair Vengenace LPX 3000 2x16GB (CMK16GX4M1B3000C15); EVGA GeForce GTX1070 FTW; Corsair RM750i PSU
MNMadman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNMadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Cuba1hr Cuba1hr wrote:

@ajlueke

Well I don't get rated speeds (well I do, with BSODs all the time) for over an year now...I can only imagine what would happen if I populate remaining 2 slots and try run on 2933MHz. Now with 2700X CPU.
Not everybody got (wasn't available even months after introduction of Ryzen + rise of DRAM price) and running Samsung B-Die RAM. I guess you have 4x8GB.
Official information was the platform would support 64GB total, so I got 2x16GB when it was cheap, Corsair with Hynix (I couldn't know what chips it uses at the time & which ver. will arrive), unaware of incoming problems. And the problems last for over an year now...waiting for a new version of BIOS with better memory support, and another one, and another... Problem is the newer versions of bios get worsen than the previous instead of the opposite!

Sorry, but you cannot blame ASRock for your woes.  They can only work with what AMD gives them in the AGESA versions.  It's not like all of the people having RAM speed issues are using ASRock boards -- far from it.

Some CPUs simply cannot do higher RAM speeds, even in the best, most up to date boards with the most up to date BIOSes.

AM4 platform is still barely over a year old -- still a newbie.  Intel boards and CPUs still have issues, even though they've been using basically the same platform and chipset and CPU architecture for many years now.

Ryzen is completely new.  You've got to give them time.  And no, a year is not enough time.  Those who would abandon a great new product now should never have gotten on the new-platform train in the first place.  You're using a good CPU and getting competitive performance for less money (on the CPU side anyway).
Heatripper Threadkiller
// 1950X @ 4.141GHz 16C/16T // Taichi // 32GB 3232 RAM //
// Titan Xp @ 2075MHz/12,000MHz // 2TB+512GB NVMe SSDs // Custom Liquid Cooling Loop //
Cuba1hr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuba1hr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 6:36pm
Well, they do have something to work with. Ryzen 2 (Pinnacle Ridge) is here since April. So why AGESA with PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.2a that brings improved features on Ryzen 2xxx still in BETA since the end of April.

They got AGESA 1.0.0.2 Patch C almost a month now for x470...still in beta.

I guess holidays started earlier this year, now the World Cup is ahead...I guess maybe new BIOS in fall Kidding
ASRock Taichi X370 UEFI v4.81; AMD Ryzen R7 2700X; Noctua NH-U12S x2 fans; Corsair Vengenace LPX 3000 2x16GB (CMK16GX4M1B3000C15); EVGA GeForce GTX1070 FTW; Corsair RM750i PSU
ajlueke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlueke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 9:01pm
I think if you check the manual on the X370 boards, 2667 MHz is the highest speed ASRock guarantees when running 2 dual rank DIMMs. If you are getting that at least, then you are getting everything ASRock promised.

I think in the X470 boards the guaranteed speed jumped up to 2933.

I also don't see your RAM on the QVL list for the Taichi.

CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 ver 4.23 is on there.

Edited by ajlueke - 08 Jun 2018 at 9:08pm
Cuba1hr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuba1hr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 3:57am
Oh...I have read posts from more than half year ago, from forum moderatos/tech support - with new bios releases "NOW EVERYBODY SHOULD BE HITTING 2933"...truth to be told, that was on Gigabyte forum. Manual is outdated btw.

And yeah, I wonder why is that one on QVL list... It has nothing to do with my memory except for similar name, that's 2x8GB, I think Samsung B-Die.
As I wrote, when I was buying I had no idea about this issues...Some other version (I have v5.39) don't have Hynix chips, didn't know what chips are inside till I read info in aida/typhoon and said - NOOOO, HYNIX DAMMIT!

I even got BSOD on 2666MHz on earlier BIOS, that was few BSOD's ago (Now I count time in BSODsLOL), after the same thing on 2800. Then went back to 2933 again.

Memtest passes OK on default 2133. I remember it earlier it threw errors after few hours on 2933 depending on timings and other settings.
But after that, with some tweaks, freaking thing passed Memtest 7.4.(4 passes) on 2933 and after day or two BSOD with Memory management.
Well, explain me that! The steam was going out of my ears and it deserved a couple of nice words and phrases!Censored

But the problem is that I managed it to work somehow on BIOS version 4.40, nothing spectacular about timings, but it worked almost 2 week until windows update restart. Got rid of 1700X and got my hands on 2700X because "some famous youtubers and reviewers" emphasized that Ryzen 2xxx is dealing better with memory. 4.60 was must and since that on 4.64 & 4.70 only issues with RAM. They managed to screw things up instead of improve them...and when I see comments about improved memory compatibility,  how they can now hit 3333 or 3400 or whatever - then I restrain myself to write them to go to F word themselvesCensored, both with AMD and manufacturer because I am so pissed with situation and there's no improvement in my case. I was saving for months to get this. If money wasn't problem I would get 600$ Trident Z on 3200 2x16. And damn those memory manufacturers (Samsung, SK Hynix, Micron), they got punished, but the RAM prices remained the same of course. 

I already wrote about it in thread about Beta bios 4.64 & I don't want to be boring again. This morning, just before 2am I heard internal speaker boot beep, woke up to set up memory settings and stability test after another BSOD. I guess it will BSOD early monday or tuesday, just before work.

I am willing to swap my memory for Samsung B-DIE 2x16GB 2933 + my 100$ extra. Still has one year shop warranty and Corsair lifetime one I think, any volunteers?
When one of my stick got errors in the beginning, they didn't want me to send both sticks & didn't allow change for another RAM...but then, they still didn't have Ryzen/MBO QVL RAM available and I was hoping for better support with new versions of bios. +
They told me they tested memory and it worked fine(with some earlier Bios and my 1700X at the time). If they did, they did it only for an hour or two because the guy called me that they are going to test it and 2 hours later that it's fine and they will ship it that day.
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 6:37am
On my X370 Asrock Fat Pro I originally couldn't run my Flare X @ 3200Mhz it would only run stable @ 2933MHz, after an AMD Agesa update and eventual bios update I could run my Flare X @ 3333Mhz + stable...so it was an Agesa/bios update that fixed that.....so if AMD deliver an Agesa update then mobo vendors should get it out for there boards ASAP and unfortunately Asrock seems to be one of the last cabs of the rank in that department, then if bugs are reported in that bios release they don't seem to get fixed very quickly if at all which is a disappointment.

Now with X399 my Fat Pro still can't run 3200MHz stable only 2933 yet other vendors with latest AMD Agesa are running 3200MHZ + stable.....so Asrock still has yet to deliver a tweaked bios based on new AMD Agesa for X399 that brings stable memory at higher frequency.

Edited by lowdog - 09 Jun 2018 at 6:41am
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic