ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Boot Menu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 11:02pm
Allright, I gave it a try. Switching the BIOS and disabling CSM resulted in a non-booting PC again.
After the BIOS resettet I tried again with "Launch Video OpROM Policy" to "UEFI-only", same result.

Got myself a Vega on friday, will be there on tuesday hopefully. But I don't think this will change anything, since I got another Vega a month or so ago (had to send it back due to fan issues, this is my second try with Vega) and F11-BIOS was broken then, too.

cry

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:16am
have you ever had the boot menu work ok ?

if so can you remember when it started mucking up ?
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Aurumvorax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:53am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

have you ever had the boot menu work ok ?

if so can you remember when it started mucking up ?

Yeah, sort of. Bought my board last summer, exactly one year ago. Did a lot of tinkering with the RAM speed back then, and always flashed the newest BIOS.
Someday, the error appeared. Since I didn't use dual boot back then, I didn't thought much to it. As I said, I've thought it would be fixed soon. Couldn't be the only one with that error, right?

There's something that caught my attention, though. In another thread dealing with this particular error, the OP stated he installed Manjaro OS (a Arch Linux Distribution). I did the same back then, still using it on my netbook.

But since then the particular SSD has been overridden multiple times, so it can't possibly have anything to do with my error, or?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:06am
i wouldnt have thought so

its some corruption in the bios
i was quite certain the dos wipe/flash would have cured it
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:52am
Originally posted by Aurumvorax Aurumvorax wrote:

Originally posted by chainsaw chainsaw wrote:

you might try to downgrade to bridge bios 3.5 first then down to 3.4 , could be that your past the bridge bios and its preventing you from downgrading using DOS. totally a guess here 

its been recommended to use Agesa 1.0.0.6  "3.40" for first gen ryzen cpu's. 

Your assumption was correct. Downgraded from 4.50 to 3.50 first, then again down to 3.40. Afterwards I was able to flash via DOS all down to 3.10.

But guess what? The error is still there:

See these screenshots. The backflash did work, didn't solve the problem though.
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 8:52am

Originally posted by TooQik TooQik wrote:

I don't own the same motherboard as you, I have the X370 Taichi, so I might not have the exact same menu options but take a look and maybe try this to see if it resolves the issue:

In your Boot menu configure the following:

CSM - Enabled
Launch PXE OpROM Policy - Do Not Launch
Launch Storage OpROM Policy - Do Not Launch
Launch Video OpROM Policy - Legacy Only

If that works, great. If it doesn't  try a different value for PXE and Storage but leave Video as Legacy Only.

Thanks for the hint, gave it a try. Sadly the problem still persists :-(

Time for plan B then.

This is a long shot so it's up to you whether you think it's worth the effort or not.

Disconnect every storage device you have plugged in ie. SSDs, HDDs and all USB devices. Then flash your BIOS again using the DOS method you've been using previously, BIOS version is up to you.

My thought is that maybe the BIOS flash is picking up on some remnant of an old OS during the flash process which is causing the corruption....as I said, long shot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:31pm

I don't own the same motherboard as you, I have the X370 Taichi, so I might not have the exact same menu options but take a look and maybe try this to see if it resolves the issue:

In your Boot menu configure the following:

CSM - Enabled
Launch PXE OpROM Policy - Do Not Launch
Launch Storage OpROM Policy - Do Not Launch
Launch Video OpROM Policy - Legacy Only

If that works, great. If it doesn't  try a different value for PXE and Storage but leave Video as Legacy Only.

Thanks for the hint, gave it a try. Sadly the problem still persists :-(

Time for plan B then.

This is a long shot so it's up to you whether you think it's worth the effort or not.

Disconnect every storage device you have plugged in ie. SSDs, HDDs and all USB devices. Then flash your BIOS again using the DOS method you've been using previously, BIOS version is up to you.

My thought is that maybe the BIOS flash is picking up on some remnant of an old OS during the flash process which is causing the corruption....as I said, long shot.

Well I'm quite tired from work now, but I'll give it a try. Not that I had much of a choice anyway, got no answer from ASRock support yet.

Will report back.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:03pm
Well .... did remove all drives, which was two M.2 SSDs and one USB drive. Did even remove all other USB devices, just to make sure.

First I flashed via DOS again, to 3.10. This was the result:

Afterwards I tried again with the 3.50 BIOS, upgraded via instant flash:

As you can see by the time displayed in the BIOS, it did flash successful. Didn't solve the problem however.

Wow, this is getting out of hand. I'd never thought this would boggle me for such a long time. Had my issues with this board, but overall I was pleased with it. But this turns out to be a real game breaker for me. CryShockedAngry
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 2:39am
With no drives connected and a bootable USB drive inserted, does the boot menu still look corrupt?

I am no expert on this but if memory serves the UEFI boot data is written to the drive, if that data is corrupt then it can cause this issue.

If your corruption clears with no drives connected then try reinstalling them one at a time and see if you can identify which one contains the corrupted data.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:57am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

With no drives connected and a bootable USB drive inserted, does the boot menu still look corrupt?

I am no expert on this but if memory serves the UEFI boot data is written to the drive, if that data is corrupt then it can cause this issue.

If your corruption clears with no drives connected then try reinstalling them one at a time and see if you can identify which one contains the corrupted data.

Thanks for looking into this. I made two new screenshots:

This is the F11-Menu just now, no drives, no USB, no network. Just a power cable, display port to monitor, and an old PS/2 keyboard.
Had to plug a USB-Pen to save the screenshot of course, but did so after the menu loaded.

Here's the boot section. As you can see, there are now drives connected. Nothing shown but the UEFI.

Stern Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic