ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Boot Menu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:20am
Hmm, interesting.....

If you haven't tried already, pull power from the system, take out the drives and pull the CMOS battery. Place the clear CMOS jumper in the clear position and leave it like that over night. In the morning, put the clear CMOS jumper back in it's default position and replace the battery.

This should clear the RTC and any other non user addressable stored data in the UEFI (hopefully including the boot info).

Let us know if that sorts it.
Aurumvorax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Hmm, interesting.....

If you haven't tried already, pull power from the system, take out the drives and pull the CMOS battery. Place the clear CMOS jumper in the clear position and leave it like that over night. In the morning, put the clear CMOS jumper back in it's default position and replace the battery.

This should clear the RTC and any other non user addressable stored data in the UEFI (hopefully including the boot info).

Let us know if that sorts it.

I read your post this morning at 5:30 AM, and was following your advice immediately.  I returned from work at 3:30 PM, which gave it a total time of nearly ten hours. Times are CEST, I'm German.

Sadly, this didn't work either:

Again it's just a power cable, a display port cable and an USB keyboard that are plugged in.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:37pm
Damn, I was hoping that would work.

So we know: 

1. The corruption is not coming from stored data in the UEFI
2. The drives themselves are not the problem
3. BIOS updates did not solve the issue
4. The problem persists even with no boot media connected

At this point I am going to go ahead and say you need to contact Tech Support or your place of purchase and start working on getting an RMA. If the BIOS ROM was removable you could have ordered a new BIOS chip but sadly the Gaming K4 has it's BIOS soldered to the board.

5 pages of troubleshooting with no solution Unhappy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:57pm

Damn, I was hoping that would work.

So we know: 

1. The corruption is not coming from stored data in the UEFI
2. The drives themselves are not the problem
3. BIOS updates did not solve the issue
4. The problem persists even with no boot media connected

At this point I am going to go ahead and say you need to contact Tech Support or your place of purchase and start working on getting an RMA. If the BIOS ROM was removable you could have ordered a new BIOS chip but sadly the Gaming K4 has it's BIOS soldered to the board.

5 pages of troubleshooting with no solution Unhappy

Damn. Haven't got an answer from ASRock yet, and today arrived my new Vega 56 Hug
Would you suggest sending the board to the reseller now or wait for another couple of days? Maybe someone with the same problem stumbles across this thread?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 12:53am
That is entirely up to you. Looking through this thread though it does seem that just about every possible solution has been tried. 

The only other solution I can think of is using a ROM programmer (with a clip on adapter) to flash the BIOS remotely. That is a tricky prospect at the best of times and would require you purchase the necessary hardware to do it. It's a little over the top as solutions go. If your system came into my shop and was out of warranty, that is how I would resolve it but as a home user you are better off just RMAing it and getting a replacement. 

It's frustrating because the issue is actually very simple, some corrupt registers in the boot info.... 

On the up side, it seems ASRock is returning to replaceable BIOS chips on some of their newer models, sadly that doesn't help you. 

Personally, I would go about the RMA as soon as possible. You shouldn't have any trouble given how easy the issue is to fix with the right tools. I suppose you could also try taking it in to a Tech and seeing if it will be quicker/cheaper to have them remote flash the chip for you. It won't void the warranty or anything so may be worth a shot if you can find someone with the tools to do it.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 1:08am
WE ARE FAILURES.....................................

Ouch
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:37am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

Ouch

All we can do is try to help, we can't solve them all sadly Wink

What matters is that we try Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:39am

That is entirely up to you. Looking through this thread though it does seem that just about every possible solution has been tried. 

The only other solution I can think of is using a ROM programmer (with a clip on adapter) to flash the BIOS remotely. That is a tricky prospect at the best of times and would require you purchase the necessary hardware to do it. It's a little over the top as solutions go. If your system came into my shop and was out of warranty, that is how I would resolve it but as a home user you are better off just RMAing it and getting a replacement. 

It's frustrating because the issue is actually very simple, some corrupt registers in the boot info.... 

On the up side, it seems ASRock is returning to replaceable BIOS chips on some of their newer models, sadly that doesn't help you. 

Personally, I would go about the RMA as soon as possible. You shouldn't have any trouble given how easy the issue is to fix with the right tools. I suppose you could also try taking it in to a Tech and seeing if it will be quicker/cheaper to have them remote flash the chip for you. It won't void the warranty or anything so may be worth a shot if you can find someone with the tools to do it.

I'm going to send it in. Hopefully they can fix it, since this board is EOL and I don't plan on getting another one.

Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

Ouch

Don't say that! You tried your best. In the best case the board will be fixed the way Xaltar described. Hopefully I get it back as soon as saturday.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 4:04am
Good luck and let us know how it turns out Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:50pm

Good luck and let us know how it turns out Thumbs Up

Small update:

Didn't sent the board in yet. Got myself an old laptop first, need to have a PC while my board is being repaired Tongue
Already got the retour ticket for free shipping. Will send it either today or tomorrow.

But you know what? Got an answer from ASRock!

lo and behold, folks:

Originally posted by ASRock ASRock wrote:

Dear Aurumvorax,

Thank you for contacting ASRock.

We did the test and the ?�F11??boot menu function key is working properly.

Please refer to the following suggestions to check your system.

1. Enter the BIOS and load the BIOS to default setting.

2. Remove the OS HDD and other bootable device for verifying.

Thank you so much.

Warmest regards,

ASRock TSD

Well I guess I try that know. Big smile

Edited by Aurumvorax - 21 Jun 2018 at 9:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic