ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Boot Menu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Boot Menu
    Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 4:21am
Hi there,

currently I am unable to select a boot entry via the boot menu. Once I press F11 during start, I get this somewhat corrupt list:

Selecting one of the entries doesn't work. However I can click on "enter setup" and "boot default"

I already tried updating the BIOS, the problem persists. Any ideas how to solve this? I'd really like to use dual boot again.

Kind regards
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 1:26pm
can u try setting up your ram to 2133mhz, see if that helps
Aurumvorax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by kerberos_20 kerberos_20 wrote:

can u try setting up your ram to 2133mhz, see if that helps

I gave it a try. Didn't change the corrupt boot menu Cry
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 6:49pm
we have had this before

but im struggling to remember what came of it

im leaning towards it was corruption in the bios flash..............

but also have a vague feeling it could be resolved by changing a setting in bios

i think i suggested performing a DOS based flash to properly erase the complete bios rom before writing the required version (as it seems instant flash merely writes some additional info )

i will have a search and see if i can find the original thread later

[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

we have had this before

but im struggling to remember what came of it

im leaning towards it was corruption in the bios flash..............

but also have a vague feeling it could be resolved by changing a setting in bios

i think i suggested performing a DOS based flash to properly erase the complete bios rom before writing the required version (as it seems instant flash merely writes some additional info )

i will have a search and see if i can find the original thread later

That would be great. Do you suggest a manual flash in the meantime?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:02pm
id wait for me to try and find the old thread first

and be careful with old flash in dos (in case you have a 2nd gen cpu) as the dos ones are usually first gen bios versions

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:10pm
right i found a few threads
this was the one i remembered
it seems the issue can be resolved disabling CSM
or maybe different bios

before we proceed please list exactly your board
cpu
and bios version your using

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6633&KW=bios+corrupt&title=bug-ab350-pro4-f11-boot-menu-corrupt

Edited by datonyb - 16 Jun 2018 at 7:11pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:41pm

right i found a few threads
this was the one i remembered
it seems the issue can be resolved disabling CSM
or maybe different bios

before we proceed please list exactly your board
cpu
and bios version your using

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6633&KW=bios+corrupt&title=bug-ab350-pro4-f11-boot-menu-corrupt

I tried to disable CSM, however I won't get any signal on my monitor. After removing the BIOS battery the CSM resettet to the default "enabled" and I was able to use my PC again.

I am using an X370 Gaming K4. BIOS version is 4.60
Processor is a Ryzen 1700.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:03pm
ok sorry for delay in replying
i was busy doing my company accounts ....deep joy !

right so technically your cpu system needs only the bios from the versions of 3xxx (im still on taichi v3.1) with my 1700 r7

so the try and resolve with the DOS bios method
you will need to create a bootable dos usb stick with bios version 3.10 and use the DOS flashing method , this will totally erase the bios rom and write a new clean code
and then you can use instant flash in bios to update to a later version
PLEASE NOTE
fully reset any bios BEFORE flashing to defaults never flash with any tweaked settings and never flash in windows

also to note in MY opinion the later 4x bios versions are not worth using with a 1st gen ryzen
YOUR boards bios version the same as mine would be 3.2, allthough you may need/use the 3.3 or 3.4 in YOUR case for jedec2666 support or fixed tctl support for some software monitoring programs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:41pm

ok sorry for delay in replying
i was busy doing my company accounts ....deep joy !

right so technically your cpu system needs only the bios from the versions of 3xxx (im still on taichi v3.1) with my 1700 r7

so the try and resolve with the DOS bios method
you will need to create a bootable dos usb stick with bios version 3.10 and use the DOS flashing method , this will totally erase the bios rom and write a new clean code
and then you can use instant flash in bios to update to a later version
PLEASE NOTE
fully reset any bios BEFORE flashing to defaults never flash with any tweaked settings and never flash in windows

also to note in MY opinion the later 4x bios versions are not worth using with a 1st gen ryzen
YOUR boards bios version the same as mine would be 3.2, allthough you may need/use the 3.3 or 3.4 in YOUR case for jedec2666 support or fixed tctl support for some software monitoring programs

I just tried, created a FreeDOS-Pen with Rufus and copied the new BIOS file. Once booted I tried to start the process, however I got this error message:

"The version of BIOS does not support this function!!"

Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic