ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PSA: Stay away from 4.80 BIOS X370 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 4:49pm
Well said @Spectre73

Edited by lowdog - 09 Aug 2018 at 4:49pm
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Spectre73 Spectre73 wrote:

I understand the frustration. I have the exact same experiences and it totally bothers me, too.

But hating on ASrock does not help.

Of course we should demand fixes for the mess that calls itself bios support, but we should be at least resonable with the tone of the discussion.

If - right know - I could afford a new MB just for the possibility to run 32 GB b-die at 3200 stable, I would totally do it, but as it stands now, I am running 2933 stable. It is not perfect, but it works, and it is stable at that.

Overclocking is not something I want to dive too deep into because, although I am on Zen 1, I do not want to bother with the marginal Performance gains.

And for Zen+ it is not even necessary, like, really, not!

So after all is said and done, I am disappointed with the bios support from ASrock and will not buy another board from them, but my system is working fine, although not at mximum Performance.

You can run 32 GB stable, just not in a 4 DIMM configuration.  Which is incredibly normal for mainstream platform to only be able to run 2 DIMM's high speed with 1T timings.  HEDT is your best bet for running Quad channel in 1 or 2T configurations.  

I, along with many others are very reasonable and willing to help ASRock fix their problems, however if you're going to be dismissive to your customer base in regards to these issues then there's really no helping you.  They've been dismissive the entire time.  Most of the issues have been here for the better part of a year now.  
Spectre73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectre73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 2:09am
I am running 2x16 GB and I consider something RAM stable if it does not throw a single error with Karhu Software RamTest with around 10000% coverage and a second run after reboot.

And with Zen1 I only found this possible with BIOS 3.20 and 3.30 with a lot of tinkering and really realxed timings.

Sometimes I only get one error at 10000% but it is practically never totally error free.

I tried varios BIOS versions, ProcODT values, CAD bus and RTT settings and every voltage imaginable.
It really is no easy feat.

To be honest, it SHOULD work out of the box for the advertised settings and that just does not happen. I do not know if it is some bad IMC of my 1600+ or something else, but I wasted about 1 year on this and never was fully satisfied.

But thats just my problem, I deal with it by running 2933 MHz and am done, really stable.

I agree with all your points regarding ASRock customer support, I justed wanted to take a little bit of heat out of the discussion.
ASRock x370 Taichi (L4.72), R5 1600x, 32 GB G.Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZSW, RX Vega 64
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:42am
May be I'm missing something, but where did you get firmware 4.80 from, or even 4.72?

All I see there is:

4.70 and 4.64 (which strangely has newer AGESA than 4.70). So I'm running 4.64 and it seems to work fine with G.Skill Flare X at 3200 MHz and Ryzen 7 2700X.

Is there some other page for firmware updates?

Edited by shmerl - 10 Aug 2018 at 8:43am
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 9:13am
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by lowdog lowdog wrote:

Get 4.80 and 4.72 here; https://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/index.php

Why is it not out on the official site?
Spectre73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectre73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by shmerl shmerl wrote:

Originally posted by lowdog lowdog wrote:

Get 4.80 and 4.72 here; https://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/index.php

Why is it not out on the official site?

You can answer that for yourself. Probably, because ASRock either neglected their x370 Taichi board or they do not deem them ready for prime.

Either way, People (me include) are so desperate for a new improved bios that they are willing to test these "non official" versions.
Not the least because most of the official ones aren't good, either.
ASRock x370 Taichi (L4.72), R5 1600x, 32 GB G.Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZSW, RX Vega 64
J Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 3:37pm
OK,

still, not everyone has noticed that everything is related to the AMD AGESA code. Those who previously had higher memory clock frequencies with old AGESA, but was not as performant as with the AGESA 1004 with less clock frequency. If you need more, you should get a X470 with ner 2000series CPU.

Certain memory types might have to be patched in the AGESA 1004 code !!!

If AMD has removed some non-functional or problematic features in the AGESA 1004, it is not ASRock's fault !!!
Kind Regards,
JZ

https://shop.JZelectronic.de - Der Shop mit ausgesuchter ASRock Profi Hardware

https://www.facebook.com/asrock.de
virpz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virpz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by J Z J Z wrote:

OK,

still, not everyone has noticed that everything is related to the AMD AGESA code. Those who previously had higher memory clock frequencies with old AGESA, but was not as performant as with the AGESA 1004 with less clock frequency. If you need more, you should get a X470 with ner 2000series CPU.

Certain memory types might have to be patched in the AGESA 1004 code !!!

If AMD has removed some non-functional or problematic features in the AGESA 1004, it is not ASRock's fault !!!

Certain memory types ? What about bios public release validation ??? As far as I am aware all the memory types are bad with 4.80, and I tell you that from a Samsung B-die perspective and ith the experience of a user that has been riding this board since it's release.

It is never AsRock fault, yet they are constantly pushing this motherboard down with their half-finished bios while the other vendors are not playing the "AMD fault game" and instead are actually fixing things.

If they could ever make a bios merging all the previous bios fixes like:

4.40  -  Full PBO capabilities that have been removed in all the late releases.

4.72  -  Memory bandwidth fixed/P-state fixed.

3.30 - Functional BCLCK. 

If they could do that then we would not complain about all the other minor issues that are arguably AsRock fault, not AMD.

I myself had the opportunity to have a C6H, Prime Pro, GB k7 and the Taichi here and I choose to keep the Taichi for my personal rig as by the time it had a better set of bios+hardware. 
Now it just sucks and is pretty frustrating that we are pointing and reporting the bios problems to AsRock for more than a year now and bios release after bios release they are not getting fixed, AsRock is not listening, they could not care less. 

If they can fix different problems on different versions of the bios why they can't make a bios release aggregating all those fixes ????

I don't know if you ever noticed but we paid for this board, we paid for it's features yet we have been waiting for so long to AsRock step up their bios engineering team. By now we deserved better treatment from AsRock, we deserved a mature board with a mature bios to follow with it, we deserved respect. Now you come here and tell us to buy a X470 board... why would we do that, give us a single reason to listen to you ??? 

Now I would love to meet they guy doing the validation for public release on their bios, that person is either plain incompetent or unexperienced.

Edited by virpz - 10 Aug 2018 at 7:34pm
bigboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 7:22pm
The fact that they don't release the bios on the official site and we got to download it from some site called jzsomething says it all. The official forums here also are non-secure connection in 2018... Assrock is a joke and I regret buying a motherboard from them over asus. As for AMD CBS settings for memory, they suck. As the others said the bios asks me to put HEX values xD.. Stop the excuses Assrock and pull your sh*t together, we bought a flagship board hoping we would get fast quality updates and the last bios you released was a beta 4.64  FOUR months ago... Such a high end product...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic