ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PSA: Stay away from 4.80 BIOS X370 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxreinhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 12:36pm
Thanks for you best efforts JZ.  Basically I'm tired of the AM4 Memory Training adding about 30 seconds to post, and I'm hoping a new BIOS will fix it so that AM4 memory training is no longer necessary.  Any chance of that happening with a new UEFI flash?  I'm currently on 3.2.  If this is something I'm going to have forever, then I'm probably going to get a new Mobo when the X570 gen comes out because this is bonkers.  (If I have to get a new Mobo to stop the training, definitely won't be ASRock.)

I have G.Skill TridentZ 3200 Mhz CL14s
Ryzen 7 1700X, Taichi X370, 16 GB Trident Z RGB (2 X 8 GB Samsing B Die @ 3200MhzCL14)
Onslaught2k3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onslaught2k3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by J Z J Z wrote:

Hi guys,
come down again. That with the X470 and 2000series was meant differently.
Have multiple daily eMail traffic and we are working on it. Am on many forums on the road and always have an ear for the problems. But I do not have to be insulted.
I do not have to put BIOSes or BetaBIOSe online !!! Was just friendly of me !!!

Please fill in the form as follows ...
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

I don't have very many positive things to say about AsRock's recent BIOS updates post-4.40..  At this point I think you'd be doing us a favour until we get confirmation that basic UEFI features are indeed working and functional.  It's sort of silly when I can't even get XMP speeds with 4.72/4.80 (3200 cl14 b-die) with CSM disabled when on 3.2/3.3 it was working.. Utterly disgraceful.  BTW, I now have upgraded to 2700x processor.  And by this point, I don't think AMD is entirely to blame here anymore...
foxreinhold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxreinhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Onslaught2k3 Onslaught2k3 wrote:

Originally posted by J Z J Z wrote:

Hi guys,
come down again. That with the X470 and 2000series was meant differently.
Have multiple daily eMail traffic and we are working on it. Am on many forums on the road and always have an ear for the problems. But I do not have to be insulted.
I do not have to put BIOSes or BetaBIOSe online !!! Was just friendly of me !!!

Please fill in the form as follows ...
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

I don't have very many positive things to say about AsRock's recent BIOS updates post-4.40..  At this point I think you'd be doing us a favour until we get confirmation that basic UEFI features are indeed working and functional.  It's sort of silly when I can't even get XMP speeds with 4.72/4.80 (3200 cl14 b-die) with CSM disabled when on 3.2/3.3 it was working.. Utterly disgraceful.  BTW, I now have upgraded to 2700x processor.  And by this point, I don't think AMD is entirely to blame here anymore...

Does the 2700X processor eliminate the need for memory training?  I really do like this board, it just seems to take forever to post due to memory training and I hate that part about it.
Ryzen 7 1700X, Taichi X370, 16 GB Trident Z RGB (2 X 8 GB Samsing B Die @ 3200MhzCL14)
Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by foxreinhold foxreinhold wrote:

Thanks for you best efforts JZ.  Basically I'm tired of the AM4 Memory Training adding about 30 seconds to post, and I'm hoping a new BIOS will fix it so that AM4 memory training is no longer necessary.  Any chance of that happening with a new UEFI flash?  I'm currently on 3.2.  If this is something I'm going to have forever, then I'm probably going to get a new Mobo when the X570 gen comes out because this is bonkers.  (If I have to get a new Mobo to stop the training, definitely won't be ASRock.)

AM4 requires memory training if you want to keep your 3200 speed memory.  If you don't want that, then yes AM4 training should be gone.  

Also, 30 seconds is an exaggeration of how long it takes to boot up.  Turn on fast boot then if you want to bypass most of the stuff.  Memory training is pretty much required for stability.  I can't believe you'd sacrifice stability for a 30 second increase in boot up.

Edited by Reinvented - 13 Aug 2018 at 12:56pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxreinhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Reinvented Reinvented wrote:

AM4 requires memory training if you want to keep your 3200 speed memory.  If you don't want that, then yes AM4 training should be gone.  

Also, 30 seconds is an exaggeration of how long it takes to boot up.  Turn on fast boot then if you want to bypass most of the stuff.  Memory training is pretty much required for stability.  I can't believe you'd sacrifice stability for a 30 second increase in boot up.

I wouldn't, but I just helped my brother build a 2600X with a MSI Carbon B450 and it POSTs with XMP 3200 Mhz CL14 much quicker; it's quick enough that I'm a tad jealous.  When the Ryzen 3000 series drops, I was planning on upgrading to that and moving my 1700X into a mini build with a cheap ITX MB and putting the 3000 series into my Taichi X370.  I live near a MicroCenter so if I buy a CPU and MB together, I get a 30 - 50 dollar discount on the MB.  I was going to use the new Mobo and associated discount for the cheap mini build.  However, if this Memory training thing is going to be a forever issue on this board, I'll be getting a new board with the 3000 series and just ditch the Taichi and ASRock in general.

Edited by foxreinhold - 13 Aug 2018 at 1:04pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 1:05pm
Memory training isn't an issue, but your expectations are.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxreinhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Reinvented Reinvented wrote:

Memory training isn't an issue, but your expectations are.  

I expect my Premium X370 board to outperform a Mid-tier B450 board.  I don't think that's a crazy thought.  I know the Ryzen memory controller is on the Processor die itself, so I'm wondering if updating the UEFI to new microcode or the Chip itself will be able to bring that POST time down and prevent the cycling that AM4 memory training give me.  Fans rev, it tries to boot, fans rev once more indicating a restart, and then it goes.  It is always able to lock in the timings (14-14-14-34-48-560 @ 1T) after one cycle, but, in my opinion, it shouldn't have to cycle at all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 1:17pm
That means its not stable and you have some tweaking to do. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxreinhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 1:23pm
I would be up for any suggestions. I would seriously appreciate it.  It's not pulling any codes on Dr. Debug and it doesn't shut all the way off and on, it just revs the fans twice.  The only reason it is bothering me is because I thought all Ryzen's did that but my brother's comp proved me wrong.

If I turn off AM4 training it goes through 3 failures (with code F9 weirdly enough...) then POSTs and boots hilariously fast but only at 2133 Mhz.

Still doesn't answer my question: would updating the UEFI help the memory train better/faster?  If it can't, then tell me I've got my head up my ass :) .  I'm just searching for hope because the memory can clearly hit the timings :(

Edited by foxreinhold - 13 Aug 2018 at 1:34pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 2:40pm

I would be up for any suggestions. I would seriously appreciate it.  It's not pulling any codes on Dr. Debug and it doesn't shut all the way off and on, it just revs the fans twice.  The only reason it is bothering me is because I thought all Ryzen's did that but my brother's comp proved me wrong.

If I turn off AM4 training it goes through 3 failures (with code F9 weirdly enough...) then POSTs and boots hilariously fast but only at 2133 Mhz.

Still doesn't answer my question: would updating the UEFI help the memory train better/faster?  If it can't, then tell me I've got my head up my ass :) .  I'm just searching for hope because the memory can clearly hit the timings :(

You have your head up your ass.  You literally just described your memory failing at those speeds, so it CANNOT hit it.  AM4 will keep retrying settings until it boots, and it will remember those settings.  Hence why it's so important to keep.  Removing it again will make your system unstable and continue booting at 2133.  You have some tweaking to do.  Probably need to increase DRAM voltage and SoC voltage for your kit to be stable.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
  Share Topic