ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PSA: Stay away from 4.80 BIOS X370 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PSA: Stay away from 4.80 BIOS X370 Taichi
    Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 4:42am
Flashed to BIOS 4.80 today, and AM4 Advanced Memory Training is gone and P-state overclocking is non functional.  ASRock TSD gave the same crap excuse that I should stay on BIOS 3.xx because of Ryzen 1st Gen CPU when everyone across all CPU's are having the exact same issues.  Last I checked, even AMD said that all these AGESA updates should be working across all the CPU's.  And also, why are they denying us security fixes by recommending something so bad?  If this is how bad they are going to treat their customers, then perhaps it's time to jump ship to ASUS.
J Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 2:18pm
Hello,

is that the same with BetaBIOS 4.72?

What memory is it, Hynix or Samsung?

Has the AGESA 1004 Code been tried before?
Kind Regards,
JZ

https://shop.JZelectronic.de - Der Shop mit ausgesuchter ASRock Profi Hardware

https://www.facebook.com/asrock.de
virpz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virpz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 9:13pm
I would say stay away from AsRock.

Unlikely some will try to say it is not users fault, it not AMD fault, it is just AsRock bios team that sadly, can't release a decent bios for this board, the 4.80 is just a follow up to that bad behavior. Bios release after bios release it just got worse, and worse, and worse. 

Plenty of pissed customers on OCN forums too: 

J Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 9:41pm
Everything is fine with my clients, and so far only a few users have complained that have certain types of storage, such as G.Skill Flare X.

An AGESA 1004 patch for Flare X modules (Samsung chips) is expected.

Also the memory performance (AIDA) is fixed !!!
Kind Regards,
JZ

https://shop.JZelectronic.de - Der Shop mit ausgesuchter ASRock Profi Hardware

https://www.facebook.com/asrock.de
virpz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virpz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 10:24pm
I must assume your clients are not overclocking, nor saving profiles, nor using PBO, nor advanced users. 

Or maybe we are just dumb and you know the fixes for all the problems listed bellow ??? Clap

Coherent list of stupidity we have to undergo with the ASRock X370 Taichi since forever:

Bios P4.40 or higher is mandatory for 2nd Gen Ryzen.

1- OVERCLOCK
If you want manual OC you need "ASRock setting" and by that you will lose up to 18% mem bandwidth. You can't OVERCLOCK with an overclocking board that is more than a year old now
Bios - present on previous bios but then we had a workaround. From 4.40 and up there is no workaround, so no overclocking. Hurts 1st and 2nd gen CPU's
Spoiler
Spoiler

2-CLOCK GENERATOR/BCLK
You purchased this ASRock hardware thinking of overclock ? No candy... More than a year later and now BCLK overclocking is BROKEN again and that's along with any manual overclocking. 103MHz ? Every board can do that without a clockgen.
Bios 4.40, 4.64, 4.60, 4.70, 4.80l. Hurts 1st and 2nd gen CPU's

3-P-STATE Setting/OC ?
You just can't P-state, it won't work .
Bios 4.40, 4.64, 4.60, 4.70. Hurts 1st and 2nd gen CPU's

4-SCALAR ADJUSTMENT
You heard about it on the ASUS thread, wer their guys are enjoying everything you miss ??
Yeah, Scalar is a minor thing in the bigger realm of issues of an overclocking board that can't overclock.
This setting has been removed from any bios that came after 4.40. Scalar is still a working "feature" but is hidden and defaulted to "100", or maximum value.
Bios 4.64, 4.60, 4.70, 4.80. Hurts 1st and 2nd gen CPU's
Spoiler

5-AMD CBS Memory Timings
You can't overclock with this board so you need to rely on AMD CBS. Here you have the most lazy work on the adjustments for "Memory Timings" under "AMD CBS". You can't enter values and so you select from a drop-down list...There you have HEX numbers, but you also you have missing HEX values and you have mistyped values. If your overclock fails, you will net to re-enter everything again as you will see right bellow on #6.
Bios - Since forever... We are living with these since the introduction of this section... Board is more than a year old. Hurts 1st and 2nd gen CPU's
Spoiler

6-SAVE PROFILE
You don't have a functional way to "Save Profiles" because ASRock bios team decided everything under "Advanced" is useless and not worth their precious time - Overclocking board that can't save overclocking settings like "Core Performance Boost", "Global C-States", all you memory timings/configs and so on... Oh, all your freaking Memory timings that took you 5 minutes to write down because you typed in HEX numbers ( tx ASRock ) ??? Guess what happens if your memory overclock fails ??? Yes, you will need to type those nice HEX numbers again since you can't save profiles and this board is more than a year old !! Hurts 1st and 2nd gen CPU's
Spoiler

7- Memory compatibility ? Overclock ?
After a LOOOONG waited or a first non beta crap bios release in 4 months or, bios 4.80 everything is still a complete disgrace plus your memory overclock with tight timing is gone !!! 
Bios 4.80

To ASRock:

The state of this boards bios is just a DISGRACE, your bios development team is a DISGRACE, there is not other way to call it.
Let's get real, it's been more than a year and half now, all the other vendors advanced with the functionality of their boards while ASRock seems to be going backwards, bios release after bios release.

AMD's fault ? I don't think...

1- AMD is not responsible for a BIOS team not being capable of making a functional "Save settings" that can actually save things.

2- AMD is not responsible for a BIOS team missing values, mistyping valuex and all HEX values in your memory timings section under AMD CBS .

3- AMD is not responsible for a overclocking board that can't overclock without dropping the memory performance down to 18%.

4- AMD is not responsible for the shi*load of problems described here that are still present after so many bios releases and many for far more than a year.

We are not looking for workarounds and we don't want excuses and specially, we don't want tips from "people" who don't own the hardware but are always willing to play the "blame user/amd" game.

All we want is a functional board with decent bios.

As a AsRock reseller, we understand you are going to defend the brand no matter what. Again, we want fixes, not excuses or the likes of "my clients have no problems".

Edited by virpz - 08 Aug 2018 at 10:31pm
virpz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virpz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Reinvented Reinvented wrote:

Flashed to BIOS 4.80 today, and AM4 Advanced Memory Training is gone and P-state overclocking is non functional.  ASRock TSD gave the same crap excuse that I should stay on BIOS 3.xx because of Ryzen 1st Gen CPU when everyone across all CPU's are having the exact same issues.  Last I checked, even AMD said that all these AGESA updates should be working across all the CPU's.  And also, why are they denying us security fixes by recommending something so bad?  If this is how bad they are going to treat their customers, then perhaps it's time to jump ship to ASUS.

As always AsRock support is ignorant as the issues you related are very present with 12 nm CPUs. So, it is not your fault and not your CPU fault, it is just that AsRock bios team that is really, really bad.

Edited by virpz - 08 Aug 2018 at 10:51pm
Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by J Z J Z wrote:

Hello,

is that the same with BetaBIOS 4.72?

What memory is it, Hynix or Samsung?

Has the AGESA 1004 Code been tried before?

Hi JZ,

I don't believe 4.72 had these issues of AM4 Memory Training being completely disabled.  I'll flash again today and see what is up.  I have 2 CPU's to test.  A Ryzen 2nd gen, and Ryzen 1st gen.  

Ryzen 1st gen, so far:
-No AM4 Memory Training Available
-AMD CBS State Enabled > P-state overclocking -> Boot loops after XMP profile enabled.
-GDM and other options fail as well, probably due to memory training failure.

Memory is Samsung B-die DDR4-3200.  Let me know what other information you need to get this resolved.

Edited by Reinvented - 08 Aug 2018 at 11:18pm
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 5:28am
If 4.72 is working I'd stick with that.

It's both frustrating and infuriating that these bios issues that users are reporting just can't seem to be addressed by the Asrock bios engineering team because ultimately it is going to hurt them as a company unless they get this sorted out and get descent properly functional overclocking bioses out for their top tier boards.....they will lose their customers that are the enthusiast base and that WILL hurt them ultimately.

ASROCK GET YOUR BIOS FIXED WHICH MEANS FULLY FUNCTIONAL FOR ADVANCED OVERCLOCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 5:34am
Originally posted by lowdog lowdog wrote:

If 4.72 is working I'd stick with that.

It's both frustrating and infuriating that these bios issues that users are reporting just can't seem to be addressed by the Asrock bios engineering team because ultimately it is going to hurt them as a company unless they get this sorted out and get descent properly functional overclocking bioses out for their top tier boards.....they will lose their customers that are the enthusiast base and that WILL hurt them ultimately.

ASROCK GET YOUR BIOS FIXED WHICH MEANS FULLY FUNCTIONAL FOR ADVANCED OVERCLOCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was my mistake.  4.72 had the issues too, hence why I switched off of it again.  4.64 was okay, but it still has the issues of crashing during certain games and audio cut outs.  
Spectre73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectre73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 4:10pm
I understand the frustration. I have the exact same experiences and it totally bothers me, too.

But hating on ASrock does not help.

Of course we should demand fixes for the mess that calls itself bios support, but we should be at least resonable with the tone of the discussion.

If - right know - I could afford a new MB just for the possibility to run 32 GB b-die at 3200 stable, I would totally do it, but as it stands now, I am running 2933 stable. It is not perfect, but it works, and it is stable at that.

Overclocking is not something I want to dive too deep into because, although I am on Zen 1, I do not want to bother with the marginal Performance gains.

And for Zen+ it is not even necessary, like, really, not!

So after all is said and done, I am disappointed with the bios support from ASrock and will not buy another board from them, but my system is working fine, although not at mximum Performance.
ASRock x370 Taichi (L4.72), R5 1600x, 32 GB G.Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZSW, RX Vega 64
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic