ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z370 Gaming K6: Problem Using USB 3 19-Pin Header
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z370 Gaming K6: Problem Using USB 3 19-Pin Header

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinfinitypoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z370 Gaming K6: Problem Using USB 3 19-Pin Header
    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 11:31pm
I am having an issue using a memory card reader attached to the 19-pin header on the motherboard.  I have 2 USB 3 19-pin headers, one is being used for the front panel, and the other is connected to a card reader.  I know the card reader works, at least on another motherboard shortly before this.  The card reader has 1 USB 3 Type A port which works when I plug in a USB drive.  The other header which connects to the front panel also works when I plug in a USB stick.  However for both headers (front panel and card reader) when I plug in the USB drive, Windows 10 Pro x64 complains that I can plug it into a USB 3 port to run faster, even though it is plugged into a USB 3 port.  Furthermore, the card reader portion of the card reader does not work at all; Windows does not see anything when I plug in a card (confirmed with multiple cards).  I should also add that when I first booted into Windows I noticed it created 5 different drives with letters, which matches the number of memory slots on my reader.  However I didn't notice until a little bit later that all of them disappeared, and after I had went through and installed all the drivers from the motherboard's CD.

I have tried a couple of things to try and fix this.  I enabled XHCI handoff in the BIOS (updated to P3.10), and pretty much anything else that could be enabled related to USB.  I also tried uninstalling the ASMedia drivers and allowing Windows to install its own drivers, all of which had no effect.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?  Or does anyone have any other suggestions to try?  Much appreciated.

Edited by theinfinitypoint - 10 Aug 2018 at 11:34pm
Dmytro_o_o View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmytro_o_o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 1:50am
 Maybe, installing Asmedia USB 3.0/3.1 XHCI driver ver:1.16.38.1  will help Approve (https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z270%20Gaming%20K6/index.us.asp#Download). 

P.S. Don`t you have any driver-CD with your card reader?
MB:ASRock Z370 Pro4
CPU:i5 8600K RAM:16GB GPU:GTX 1070Ti
theinfinitypoint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinfinitypoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 7:07am
Yeah installing the XHCI driver was the first thing I did after I booted into Win 10 the first time lol.

I think I've figured it out.  For some reason Win 10 keeps trying to install a driver for this device and when it does install some driver, it causes the card reader to work (the reader does not have its own drivers).  So I've gotten it to work by uninstalling the (failed) driver installation.

Is there any way to permanently disable installing drivers *for that device only*?  I'll post a screenshot of the device manager if I'm able.

Edited by theinfinitypoint - 13 Aug 2018 at 7:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic