ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BMC isn't working at all (C2550D4I)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
manslipkorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manslipkorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 6:15am
Hi eveybody, my first message here.

I'm a happy customer of a motherboard C2550D4I and used it for a year and a half as a NAS server (Freenas).

First of all, since I bought the motherboard, I haven't done any update (neither the BIOS nor BMC)

Everything was working perfectly until a few months ago when a java update wouldn't let me connect through IPMI (apparently due to security reasons). I could connect to IPMI but wasn't able to "see the screen" due to JAVA applet.

Then, after looking up on the internet for this issue, I saw that a new BMC patch had been given by ASRock to fix this issue.

This is were bigger problems start.

Following the "BMC Firmware Update by IPMI" guide provided by ASRock, I tried it yesterday (2018-08-29).
So I looged in to the IPMI interface and went to "firmware update" and clicked on "enter update mode".

Then, as seen on this picture, I reached the step "preparing device for firmware update". But the process wouldn't let me go further. Was working on "preparing" for at least 4 hours before I decided to close the tab in my browser.

Then, I restarted the server properly (through Freenas).

And now, IPMI doesn't work AT ALL.

Today, my computer is working, Freenas still starts properly, I can access the BIOS (using an old VGA screen) etc..., but NO IPMI (BMC Version in BIOS is blank).

Going crazy, though that maybe a BIOS would fix the issue, so just updated one hour ago to the lastest known version (2.50). Went OK, but BMC Version in BIOS is still blank and I can't connect to IPMI with the IP address I used to use to connect to it.

After reading quite a lot of things on these forums, I found out this post and decided to give it a try (what could go worst?)
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8822&title=asrock-rack-c2550d4i-impi-jviewer-issue

So made a DOS bootable USB drive (using Rufus), followed the guidelines, but when I run the file (BMCRESET.EXE), the output is :
error : Unknown version of BMC (or something similar, don't remember).

And now, BMC/IPMI still doesn't work. I'm lucky compare to others as everything else seems to work properly (Freenas is actually running, just having an error saying "ipmi0: KCS: Failed to start write", so I can't use ipmitool either).

Now, here come the questions :
- Is there a way to fix the problem so I can use IPMI again (chose that MB because of IPMI and having to connect with a keyboard and screen in server room is quite painful right now)?
- Also, I made custom configuration when IPMI was working (when I bought the MB a year ago) and had setup a bond network. Is there a way to change that configuration today if I can't access IPMI/BMC?

I hope there is still hope for this MB because except this issue I like it a lot.
Let me know if you need more informations/details about my problem.
Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for the bad English, tried my best :).

Edited by manslipkorn - 31 Aug 2018 at 6:15am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic