ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Boot Menu Graphic Glitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tovstun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 7:35am
I have the same problem with the boot menu (F11). My hardware configuration:
ASRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7
INTEL Core i7-5820K LGA2011-3 BOX
DIMM DDR4 (2133) 32GB KINGSTON HYPERX FURY HX421C14FB2K4/32, CL14, 1.2V
MSI GTX1050GAMINGX2G
SSD m.2 PCI-e v.2 Kingston SHPM2280P2/240G

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 12:14pm
Has anyone with this issue tried a full UEFI/BIOS/NVRAM clear by removing the board's battery at the same time as moving the CLR CMOS jumper to the clear position. It seems the NVRAM became corrupted for some reason.

The battery must be left out for at least ten minutes, to allow any charge in the capacitors in the UEFI/BIOS chip power circuit to dissipate.

I believe in an early post in this thread, someone said that the time was not correct in the UEFI or OS. That is usually caused by a bad battery in the board, replacing it is worth doing, the battery is common and not expensive. The battery model is CR2032.

In the UEFI, in the Tools screen there should be an entry for the Boot Manager feature. That allows many more than six boot partition/drive entries. You should be able to edit the name of the drive, etc, for each entry. If the text entry for a drive/OS installation is formatted badly, that might indicate a compatibility issue between the tool and the partitioning or file system used on the drive or partition.

Disabling CSM requires the video source to be GOP compatible, a UEFI standard. Modern video cards should have a GOP compatible VBIOS, and the Intel iGPU has a GOP compatible VBIOS.

About the NVMe M.2 SSDs, with a Z270 board, if they are in the M.2 slots, they should be recognized in the System Browser tool, NVMe Configuration screen (in Advanced screen, view only), and in the Storage Configuration screen. If an M.2 NVMe is used in an M.2 to PCIe slot adapter card, then the M.2 SSD will NOT be shown in the Storage Configuration screen, and will only be shown in the System Browser tool.

An NVMe SSD should not need to be partitioned as MBR to be recognized in the UEFI or Boot Order. I use many different NVMe SSDs, all GPT partitioned, and they are recognized fine in my ASRock Z270 board. But I allow Windows to partition the SSD during the installation. If an NVMe SSD is MBR partitioned, then it is not fully UEFI booting. UEFI booting requires GPT partitioning.

I wonder about the use of Debian or Ubuntu with NMVe SSDs and these boards, what storage Option ROM in the UEFI will they use? What file systems are you using on the Debian or Ubuntu installations? I wonder if that is related to the poorly formatted text in the F11 boot menu entries?

Do you have the Fast Boot option set to anything besides disabled?
skydiver88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydiver88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Has anyone with this issue tried a full UEFI/BIOS/NVRAM clear by removing the board's battery at the same time as moving the CLR CMOS jumper to the clear position. It seems the NVRAM became corrupted for some reason.

The battery must be left out for at least ten minutes, to allow any charge in the capacitors in the UEFI/BIOS chip power circuit to dissipate.

I believe in an early post in this thread, someone said that the time was not correct in the UEFI or OS. That is usually caused by a bad battery in the board, replacing it is worth doing, the battery is common and not expensive. The battery model is CR2032.

In the UEFI, in the Tools screen there should be an entry for the Boot Manager feature. That allows many more than six boot partition/drive entries. You should be able to edit the name of the drive, etc, for each entry. If the text entry for a drive/OS installation is formatted badly, that might indicate a compatibility issue between the tool and the partitioning or file system used on the drive or partition.

Disabling CSM requires the video source to be GOP compatible, a UEFI standard. Modern video cards should have a GOP compatible VBIOS, and the Intel iGPU has a GOP compatible VBIOS.

About the NVMe M.2 SSDs, with a Z270 board, if they are in the M.2 slots, they should be recognized in the System Browser tool, NVMe Configuration screen (in Advanced screen, view only), and in the Storage Configuration screen. If an M.2 NVMe is used in an M.2 to PCIe slot adapter card, then the M.2 SSD will NOT be shown in the Storage Configuration screen, and will only be shown in the System Browser tool.

An NVMe SSD should not need to be partitioned as MBR to be recognized in the UEFI or Boot Order. I use many different NVMe SSDs, all GPT partitioned, and they are recognized fine in my ASRock Z270 board. But I allow Windows to partition the SSD during the installation. If an NVMe SSD is MBR partitioned, then it is not fully UEFI booting. UEFI booting requires GPT partitioning.

I wonder about the use of Debian or Ubuntu with NMVe SSDs and these boards, what storage Option ROM in the UEFI will they use? What file systems are you using on the Debian or Ubuntu installations? I wonder if that is related to the poorly formatted text in the F11 boot menu entries?

Do you have the Fast Boot option set to anything besides disabled?

Seems like the problem here must be M.2 SSDs as this is the common factor between us all. I'd like to pull the m.2 drive out and see how the boot menu behaves, but to be able to access the drive in the back of the motherboard the entire thing needs to be taken apart and I have liquid cooling installed, etc. Too much of a hassle
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by skydiver88 skydiver88 wrote:

Seems like the problem here must be M.2 SSDs as this is the common factor between us all. I'd like to pull the m.2 drive out and see how the boot menu behaves, but to be able to access the drive in the back of the motherboard the entire thing needs to be taken apart and I have liquid cooling installed, etc. Too much of a hassle

Or perhaps more specifically, the length of the text of each of the boot order entries, when using an M.2 SSD as the OS drive, in UEFI booting mode. For example, my boot order entry is:

Windows Boot Manager Samsung 960 EVO

I noticed in the Boot Manager feature screen, which allows you to enter the text for the boot device, it is limited in length. All I could enter was, "Windows Boot Man".

The best I could do now, as I've been running an Optane accelerated SATA SSD as the OS drive recently for testing purposes, is to put my original 960 EVO OS drive installation back into this PC, and check the results with the F11 screen. That only gives me two entries, but we'll see.
asroro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asroro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 1:33am
Same problem here with following configuration:

i7 8600, Samsung Pro SSD (1TB, 250GB), 2x Hitachi as Raid1 each 2TB, AsRock z170 extreme7+

Everything was working until i reinstalled windows and moved from UEFI to MBR (because i want to use veracrypt for everything).
Running Fedora 28 on the 250gb SSD with LUKS and Win7 on the 1TB SSD.

Edited by asroro - 21 Jul 2018 at 1:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic