ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z370 Extreme 4 sound problems after driver update
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z370 Extreme 4 sound problems after driver update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 1:13am
The reality is that it's still broken since this thread first reported on August 4th, and it's interesting to see that AsRock have gone silent. Not a word. No Fixes, nothing. 
At least provide the old driver that worked? But no...

I wonder if any of this has to do with all the Windows updates, no doubt related to Spectre/Meltdown patching that they are furiously trying to play down as nothing that major when it's a much bigger issue than most would want to believe.

I just got this new board (z370 extreme 4) and it's been nothing but problem after problem.

Can't use the realtek HD sound, especially using front panel headphones - no this is not your motherboard or something else that's 'broken'.
Why? Uninstall the realtek drivers and software and let windows install it's own HD drivers and everything magically works again.

Same with SATA3 drivers from AsRock - total cluster. Internal HD and SSD's showing as 'removable devices' (yes I have looked at all the troubleshooting steps for this issue, but this is a driver issue.
The solution? You guess it, just uninstall and use Win 10 generic, and once again the issue magically disappears! 

Noticing a trend here?

Maybe flashing back to BIOS 1.80 might help? Doubt it as all the software side microcode patches are in Windows.

Edited by Globespy - 29 Sep 2018 at 1:14am
Niemiec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niemiec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 8:27pm
So still no word from AsRock?

The only solution for me is to use standrd W10 audio driver. Everything works perfectly, PC didn't freeze ever since, no audio problems.

I'll leave the crash report here, maybe it helps.

So still no word from AsRock?

The only solution for me is to use standrd W10 audio driver. Everything works perfectly, PC didn't freeze ever since, no audio problems.

I'll leave the crash report here, maybe it helps.

?cieżka do aplikacji powoduj?cej b??d: C:\Windows\System32\audiodg.exe

Sygnatura problemu
Nazwa zdarzenia problemu: BEX64
Nazwa aplikacji: AUDIODG.EXE
Wersja aplikacji: 10.0.17134.137
Sygnatura czasowa aplikacji: ecd85e98
Nazwa modu?u z b??dem: StackHash_ef15
Wersja modu?u z b??dem: 0.0.0.0
Sygnatura czasowa modu?u z b??dem: 00000000
Przesuni?cie wyj?tku: PCH_B5_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009AA44
Kod wyj?tku: c0000005
Dane wyj?tku: 0000000000000008
Wersja systemu operacyjnego: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48
Identyfikator ustawie? regionalnych: 1045
Dodatkowe informacje 1: ef15
Dodatkowe informacje 2: ef152224cfb056c292640ec09ea987fd
Dodatkowe informacje 3: 7ce4
Dodatkowe informacje 4: 7ce435c53617217c27f0690ed0b89b1b

Dodatkowe informacje o problemie
Identyfikator pakietu: b1fd439b8a0e2fa1238544701d57d427 (1406605706942469159)

This used to crash my entire PC. Since I removed AsRock audio drivers from their website everything works. 

AsRock, it's CLEARLY the problem with YOUR stuff. Get it together. It's my first AsRock product and it seems it's going to be the last.

Globespy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 12:16am
I called AsRock a few days back and was told that: 

"we [AsRock] do not do anything with any of the drivers to be compatible with our products". 
"if something is wrong then it is because of Realtek/AsMedia etc"

This seemed strange to me, I've always thought that there was some level of driver modification by motherboard manufacturers? Otherwise why do the companies who make the hardware on these boards (realtek, AsMedia etc) ALWAYS advise that customers get drivers from their motherboard manufacturer?
So, if they are telling the truth then the problems are really NOT with "their stuff".

The tech support guy was not very friendly, basically saying that it's likely user error and seemed to ignore the fact there's a lot of people in the forums with this issue by saying "Only people with issues post on forums, but as far as we are concerned this is human errors and not the driver".

PS - I did manage to get the Realtek HD to work - it was a bit of a workaround, but the front panel works perfectly with my headphones, and the rear 'lime green' speaker input on the motherboard for desktop speakers also works when used by itself or when headphones are plugged into the front jack.

If anyone is interested here's what I had to do:

Download latest DDU (display driver uninstaller - current version is 18.0.1 I believe) and extract to a folder on your desktop or wherever you like to store standalone utilities.
Open DDU and go into options and check the bottom options that enable "boot to Windows Safe Mode" and one option that blocks Windows from automatically reinstalling generic drivers on startup - this part is important!

Next, before you boot to safe mode "highly recommended option", download the attached Realtek drivers (I uploaded to my DropBox):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1xmo85mak06ri8/Realtek.zip?dl=0

Allow DDU to boot to safe mode where you will be able to select the audio device you wish to fully remove from your system, then follow the easy prompts (recommended options to remove and reboot your PC).

When back in Windows install the Realtek driver (from July 2017) I provided - note that in my case for whatever reason the "Realtek HD Audio Manager" wasn't  automatically set to launch at system startup, despite the correct Realtek HD audio drivers and manager being installed.
I had to locate it in:
C:>Program Files>Realtek>Audio>HDA>RAVCpl64.exe and add this exe to my list of programs that startup automatically with Windows.

This should give you fully functional Realtek HD Audio.
Globespy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:10am
seems Asrock still give no effs on this?
I'm bouncing around from different driver from different board manufacturers with the same ALC1220 codecs, but can't quite get it perfect.
There's always some occasional crackle or popping sounds.

Realtek are impossible to get in touch with (no phone number for tech support) and Asrock don't seem to care.
Argonil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 6:38am
I got the latest z370 Extreme4 sound drivers to work seemingly flawlessly with the new audio control panel released in Microsoft Store, called Realtek Audio Console. Pretty sure the sound quality is better now, but it might just be placebo lol. I also did a clean install of my AMD video drivers to the new 18.10.1 version since Windows kept saying it had to restart to finish installing AMD's "High Definition Audio Bus" even after I restarted. Hope that helps!

Edited by Argonil - 12 Oct 2018 at 6:43am
aust394 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aust394 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 12:08pm
I was having this same problem and then updated my Windows 10 installation from 1607 to the latest 1809 October update. It installed perfectly fine after updating. Hope this helps!
Globespy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 3:29pm
Thanks but upgrading to Win 10 1809 does not resolve this issue.
Realtek acknowledge this also and apparently have a fix coming.

Might be a BIOS thing as I have a friend with the same board/CPU and no issues but he is running 1.80.
My extreme4 came with 3.10 pre-installed.

I might roll back since I am sure 3.10 is robbing me of more CPU performance thanks to Intel's meltdown and spectre microcode patches.
Leomund View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leomund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 2:58am
It is new 2019 year, still there are no fixes from ASRock.
Globespy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 7:00am
haha!
I'm pretty sure they have already moved on from this board.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic