ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670e Taichi Carrara Bios 3.10 problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 3:14am
you can enter the bios at 4800mhz, set the expo/xmp profiles, but it fails at memory training?

what if after you set the expo/xmp profile you set such options?:

asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt
killroy2963 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killroy2963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I see your point(s). Sounds more like they had no answer for you so used the "not
on the QVL" thing as a dodge. If I am right and it's an AGESA issue it shouldn't
matter soon enough. It leads me to believe even more that there is some fundamental
issue with the current AGESA that AMD is trying to keep under wraps. Purely speculation
but it wouldn't be the first time, from AMD or intel. Manufacturers have to follow
their licensing terms with vendors and a part of that is always PR related. It
sounds to me like ASRock's tech support couldn't help and were not permitted to
reveal why. I could be wrong but based on my interactions with them over the years
I find it hard to believe they wouldn't even try. Why go the extra mile with one
issue then completely shut down the next? Stinks of corporate politics to me.

Still, none of that helps you guys. Your only option seems to be wait for the next
AGESA BIOS release and hope the issue is solved. Based on the RMA suggestion I
am guessing it will be fairly soon. The RMA suggestion seems like a stall tactic
to buy time while the issue is being worked on. Having worked in tech support I
know all too well what it's like to have to dance around policies and other BS
when all you want to do is help the customer.

Hopefully the next BIOS update fixes your issues.

Thanks I really appreciate your input on this, I agree that it may be AGESA also. How does it work with one bios version but fails on the next, it doesn't make sense to me.
ASRock X670E Steel legend
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
GSkill FlareX 5 DDR-5 6000
Sound Blaster AE-5
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 6:27am
AGESA is the backbone of every AMD BIOS. It's basically a program that tells the
system how to handle every single piece of hardware, interrupts, DMA, timings,
security, all of it. Enhancing/altering one aspect can cause issues or even break
others. A lot of the issues come from security which gets ever more complex with
each new exploit that needs patching. It can literally break multiple elements if
not handled correctly.

If you think about every setting in the BIOS and the code needed to make it work
it starts to make a lot more sense how things can be broken or improved in subsequent
updates. I am no programmer but I do know that for every exposed (visible) setting
in the BIOS there are potentially dozens more that are set automatically. Add to
that the fact that the UEFI is not actually a BIOS anymore, it's firmware that
interacts with the OS too. It's a far more elegant system than the old BIOS system
but also more complex.

Quote Hypothetical:
Imagine AMD is trying to fix a memory timing issue that is effecting all RAM using
Samsung memory chips and firmware. Users complain that their Samsung based
memory won't run at it's rated speed etc. To fix this they tweak and alter the
voltage handling and timings in the AGESA. After testing they find all their
Samsung kits are now working. They don't see how their tweaks should effect other
RAM types so they release a shiny new AGESA along with some security updates and
possibly new CPU support. The problem is, their tweaks did effect other RAM kits
and suddenly people who had perfectly functional RAM at rated speeds are getting
training issues and boot loops.

The main issue is standardization. Hardware may be standardized to a large degree
but it's still subject to interpretation within those standards, particularly
RAM and storage. Every possible bit of hardware you could install in your system
needs to be covered and handled by the UEFI as well as any security issues said
hardware could bring with it.

I do not envy the teams working on AGESA (or intel's equivalent). It is a mammoth
task and a very tricky one to navigate. If you have ever done any programming
then you will have some idea of how difficult it can be, one misplaced punctuation
point or value can cause all kinds of gremlins. Worse still, the UEFI needs to
fit into a very small ROM chip and it can't use any high level optimizations as
those require the UEFI to be loaded to function. Everything needs to be done at
the machine code level.

Just have a look at all the settings available for RAM alone then imagine that
for every setting you see there are at least 10 more you don't. Then add CPUs
from multiple generations with different caches, core counts etc all needing to
be handled by the UEFI (AGESA).

This is just my limited understanding of things mind you, I am not a programmer
as I said so all this is just based on my observations. I doubt I am far from
the truth however.

Hope this is helpful

Edited by Xaltar - 03 Jul 2024 at 6:29am
Max33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Max33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by M440 M440 wrote:

you can enter the bios at 4800mhz, set the expo/xmp profiles, but it fails at memory training?

what if after you set the expo/xmp profile you set such options?:

Thanks, already tried with no luck. It just doesn't work with 3.10 bios. Rolled back to 2.10 and boots & memory training are fast and the system is rock stable.
Waiting for the next AGESA update that has already been released for X670e Taichi but not for Carrara...
Jose1001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jose1001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 minutes ago at 2:24am
Sorry for the meddling, tomorrow I receive an ASRock X670E Taichi for a 7950X3D, and I was planning to Update the Bios to 3..01, but I just realized that a 3.04 AS01 [Beta] has come out. Which one installed 3.01 or 3.04 Beta? Thanks a lot
-Ryzen 7950X3D -ASRock X670E TAICHI -G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 CL30 2x32gb 6000mhz
-Asus Strix RTX 4070ti OC 12gb   -Seasonic Prime TX-1000 -Crucial T700 2Tb+Samsung M.2 990 Pro 2tb
-EK-WatersCR360
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic