ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Asrock Taichi : Win 10 not responsive w

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeKeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Moba Moba wrote:

Fair enough. Have you unplugged all the other drives except for the OS drive then and is the swap file on that drive?

Does NiouzeFire run in the background while you're using other programs? Encoders and games tend to take all available resources.

Microsoft does release buggy updates and there's very few TR users. If you're sure it worked well before, I would reinstall Windows build 1709 (or whatever build is recommended for the X399), the latest AMD drivers (following all the recommendations for TR) and block all updates until you test your system thoroughly.

Your system should multitask like crazy...it's the whole point of TR Smile
I haven't unpluged the other drives. I used to use them in my previous Ryzen 1800x config and they were running fine too. 
I launch Niouzefire and it runs when I'm trying to play or encode. I agree that Handbrake/Vidcoder use lots of ressources (especially since I'm encoding H265) but it's really the use of the disks (hard disk or SSD) that's taking its toll on the system. 

To tell you the truth, I have had the same problem with my "old" FX8370 and my Ryzen 1800x but thought it was because I had too many disks and maybe not enough hardware ressources or... That's why I'm leaning to blame either the AHCI MS driver or the X399 AMD chipset. 
But I don't see many complaining, so that's why I thought I would start this thread and see if I was the only one here or not.
Moba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:55am
Originally posted by LeKeiser LeKeiser wrote:

Originally posted by Moba Moba wrote:

Fair enough. Have you unplugged all the other drives except for the OS drive then and is the swap file on that drive?

Does NiouzeFire run in the background while you're using other programs? Encoders and games tend to take all available resources.

Microsoft does release buggy updates and there's very few TR users. If you're sure it worked well before, I would reinstall Windows build 1709 (or whatever build is recommended for the X399), the latest AMD drivers (following all the recommendations for TR) and block all updates until you test your system thoroughly.

Your system should multitask like crazy...it's the whole point of TR Smile
I haven't unpluged the other drives. I used to use them in my previous Ryzen 1800x config and they were running fine too. 
I launch Niouzefire and it runs when I'm trying to play or encode. I agree that Handbrake/Vidcoder use lots of ressources (especially since I'm encoding H265) but it's really the use of the disks (hard disk or SSD) that's taking its toll on the system. 

To tell you the truth, I have had the same problem with my "old" FX8370 and my Ryzen 1800x but thought it was because I had too many disks and maybe not enough hardware ressources or... That's why I'm leaning to blame either the AHCI MS driver or the X399 AMD chipset. 
But I don't see many complaining, so that's why I thought I would start this thread and see if I was the only one here or not.

In this case, you might inquire about using a fancy RAID setup with SSD drives from someone who does video encoding. The people I know who work in video are Mac snobs LOL. For what I do, SSD drives are more than good enough and a lot cheaper than those old SCSI setups we needed a few decades ago...

If you go that route, don't forget backups, backups and more backups!

Edited by Moba - 26 Mar 2018 at 5:15am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 5:10am
Originally posted by LeKeiserTo tell you the truth, I have had the same problem with my old FX8370 and my Ryzen 1800x [/QUOTE LeKeiserTo tell you the truth, I have had the same problem with my old FX8370 and my Ryzen 1800x [/QUOTE wrote:

Disconnect all but your OS drive and reply back.

That this is apparently a common issue wit

Disconnect all but your OS drive and reply back.

That this is apparently a common issue with you across multiple chipsets, I tend towards it is something localized there.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 5:22am
Awwww hell. I just went and discovered what NiouzeFire is.

Stop that and your 'lag when disks at 100%' should cease.
TANWare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANWare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 3:58pm
My guess then you are satisfied with how Windows has now determined where everything goes and then how it works too. Since M$ seems to have determined you then should not use your drives 100% or suffer the usage issues you should restrict your disc usage.
Other option is too find where in software the change has occurred. Checking swap file usage is a normal thing to do here, for any system. If you are not willing to find and make a change then accept what you have.
x399 Taichi, 1950x, 32GB 3466 DDR4
2x500GB 960EVO,Asus 1080TI
Passmark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic