ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 TaiChi & R7 200 series GPU crash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:05am
pokkoloco, if you do decide to try the BETA, then flash to the bridge then directly to 4.41, skipping the bad 4.40.  I think this may be the best chance.  The next time you have a reasonable set of drivers (Chip and Video), please open Settings-Apps-AMD Software-Modify.  This should bring up a screen with all the drivers.  Please post a screenshot, but don't change anything.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  I think the 18.3.1 are the Video drivers.  AMD is confusing about their numbering.

Edited by MisterJ - 06 Mar 2018 at 9:07am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
pokkoloco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokkoloco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 1:23am
MisterJ, yah, I got a bit muddled with the numbering.

So, I have just finished installing Win 10 on a different HD.
Downloaded and installed the latest chipset which lists as 18.1
My thinking was I would simply operate on chipset only, no video drivers, to see if the system would stay stable. But on checking the chipset looks to have installed 17.1.1 drivers.

So the system has been running for about 40 mins, will monitor.
If this craps out I'll consider the BIOS flash...

EDIT:
I'm seeing broken image links, in case that's a forum policy here are the links directly:
https://ibb.co/bWfVF7
https://ibb.co/kbwFhn
https://ibb.co/eDU1Nn
https://ibb.co/dLKnTS

Edited by pokkoloco - 07 Mar 2018 at 1:26am
pokkoloco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokkoloco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 2:11am
[URL=][/URL]And again....
Was just surfing with Edge (didn't even install a different browser, no apps installed either) and crash.

Is there a utility that can log the state of the CPU and GPU in almost-realtime?
I'm thinking if there is an issue with either the only way to capture an anomaly is to be constantly logging states/values.

EDIT
Maybe I was just blind to any previous Event Viewer entries, but at least I am seeing the error entries that the system had shutdown unexpectedly.
Doesn't make any difference but at least I see the system acknowledging the crash.

Edited by pokkoloco - 07 Mar 2018 at 2:18am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 2:19am
yes there is a utility

alas its the radeon tweaker .................... global settings

allthough a lot of people use the msi graphics software (works on non msi cards)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
pokkoloco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokkoloco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 3:38am
datonyb
Thanks, I did some checking and found CPUID's Hardware Monitor.Grabbed the first link which apparently is the Pro version so I'm not sure what grace period there is.
But it is taking snapshots of various parameters although at intervals, so hopefully it might shed some light.
System has not crashed out thus far while HWMonitor has been in place... about hour & a half. Will update as situation does.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 3:42am
pokkoloco, I guess the Chip Set drivers detected the video card and installed the drivers.  The forum has several ways to mess up links, so just do what you can to get them working - my approach.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
pokkoloco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokkoloco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:02am
So it's starting to look like the TaiChi is the culprit.

Latest chipset with latest video drivers resulted in crashes on the Win 10 upgrade.

Latest chipset with the 17.1.1 video drivers (a combo which seemed to be okay with the fresh install of Win 10 but I didn't use it too much) resulted in crashes on the Win 10 upgrade.

So at this point it's up in the air if it might be an upgrade vs fresh install issue, a video card issue or a mobo issue.

Finally got the old video card to try out... and boy is it an oldie! An ASUS EAH5450.
Doesn't even come with the PCIe power connector, so it's not in the same league as the R7 260X.
But I installed it, followed the option to download the 'newer' Catalyst 15.1 drivers, started using it...and within 1/2 hour it crashes.

Going to try the ASUS with the fresh Win 10 install to confirm.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic