ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z370m pro4 VRM phases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z370m pro4 VRM phases
    Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 5:19pm
Aloha,

The VRM implementation on this board is provided by the ISL95856 "4+3 Multiphase PWM Regulator"

The marketing statement on the ASRock page for the z370m pro4 states "10 Power Phase design"

How, might you wonder, does a 4+3 controller produce 10 distinct phases?

I wondered, and pulled out my DMM on continuity mode.

In reality, what appear to be 11 chokes around the z370m pro4 socket, are 6 chokes.

Ten of the chokes are configured in parallel pairs of two chokes, making a total of five phases plus the one remaining which I assume is for VTT.

What is more awkward is that the totem-pole mosfets are configured in quads. Paralleled lower-quality SM4336N mosfets act as the upper mosfet of the totem, and two paralleled higher-quality SM4337N mosfets act as the lower mosfet of the totem.

ASRock, please explain the marketing. I was convinced that this would be 10 distinct power phases. I am not comfortable overclocking on something which is - in reality - 3+2, or 3 phases for the processor, 2 for the iGP.

Edited by xpl - 21 Oct 2017 at 6:00am
xpl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 6:13pm
Furthermore, why are those top mosfets not heatsinked? This is especially concerning because the motherboard has been designed to accommodate a heatsink for those fets as there are through-hole mounting points there labeled "MOS_HEATSINK2"
Milan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 3:13am
Any answer ? I'm curious too....
Maxmiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxmiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 8:19pm
I understand why there's so much vdrop. Plus the top ones don't heat up, it looks like they're not even activated.
mark5916 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark5916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 9:39pm
I registered only to answer the question of The OP. 

As you know that this board uses an Intersil  ISL95856 PWM controller... 

That PWM controller can do a  4-, 3-, 2-, or 1-phase design for the CPU VCC, and a  3-, 2-, or 1-phase design for the VCCGT (integrated graphics processor)  

ON that board (as with many other budget boards) ASRock uses a 4+3 phase design. 

ASRock doubles the number of power stage components on the CPU VCore rails to get eight phases.

But in reality that's a 4 phase (with double the mosfets [most probably] in parallel mode)

So, two low side and two high side mosfets (removing the mosfets heat sink would help on that matter) and double the inductors. 

The remaining three phases are for the IGP.

So, as you very well have formulated, that's a 4+3 phase design board! :)  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic