ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X399 Taichi won't boot with multiple RAM installed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi won't boot with multiple RAM installed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sblomfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 12:06am
Only update is that I have RMA'd the CPU (no restocking fee due to some particular circumstances as far as I could tell), and new CPU is on the way. Arrives 1/16. If that doesn't work, I'll RMA the RAM... and at that point I will have subbed out Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. I doubt I could swap out anything else that matters!

We will see!
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:59am
Thanks for the heads-up!

While praying for the best, I'm also curious what will turn out to be the culprit. Although I'm obviously biased against ASRock, I would have started with the mobo nonetheless.

Pay extra care when mounting this monstrous TR. As you know the socket can be hard to tame. Check RAM and cabling once again, and clear CMOS before you continue further into your adventure.
sblomfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sblomfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 11:10am
New CPU arrived today. Just installed - still the same problem. about to do a CMOS clear and see if it helps, then an OS reinstall and see if that helps... but I doubt it.

Reason I went for the CPU first: It was an open box CPU from NewEgg, so it could have been mishandled by previous purchaser - most likely culprit. In fact, I know for fact that it had been popped out of the carrier frame, and re-inserted in 180 degrees opposite - triangles did not line up - if it was ever installed like that who is to say perhaps the MCU in the CPU could have been blown.

But it turns out no... it was probably fine. SMH, FML.

which part to pull next. Could be the RAM, could be the board. I may ask my friend to borrow his RAM and install both sticks in my board and see if it works. If so, then the issue is not the board. If not, then the issue is probably the board.

Seems as good logic as any to use.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 2:15pm
Ouch, I have been following this thread for a while now but refrained from posting because xhue has been on point

Taking a look at your RAM's QVL on it's product page there are no AMD boards listed as supported. Given that there are Z370 boards listed G-Skill has obviously updated their compatibility list recently and still don't list AMD 300 and 400 series boards I would tend to suspect their may be a major compatibility concern. By the look of it that RAM kit was originally designed for X99. I think you will find that a different RAM kit may be the answer to your situation. Good luck
StefaanC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StefaanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 7:30pm
Sorry for the date, in the bios you let the overclocking to auto, should be disabled.
With windows10 : if start does not work try at least 5 times cause windows will show recovery console at some stage. And funny enough on my as rock x399, just exiting the recovery console and the system booted UEFI fine.

Be careful with the TR socket not meant many for much swapping.

To bug fix a system, just video card no ram and CPU so see if the BIOS at least can start the BIOS= CPU working and video working.
Insert one dim and boot up again.

As soon windows loads, let it go to the desktop and start windows update cause it needs to load AMD chip-set firmware , drivers for video and audio.

Then start a dos prompt and enter sfc /scannow
Cause if there is a failure on the disks sfc can fix that but it takes a long time.

If sfc finds nothing shut down. But if SFC reports bad clusters do keep an eye on it.

Shut down anyway insert the second dim and boot up. And windows should load fine.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic