ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock X99 Extreme4/3.1 NVME support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ziko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ziko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock X99 Extreme4/3.1 NVME support
    Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 7:34pm
Yes, Extreme3/3.1 HAS Support for Samsung 951 NVME drive.
Purchased one last saturday and raplaced my old Revodrive 3 x2 PCIe Card.
Win 10 x64 is running flawless.
The drive is visible in Win10 setup and in UEFI.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Joe America Joe America wrote:

I apparently made the mistake of purchasing the 4/3.1 instead of the plain 4.

the X99 Extreme4/3.1 only has a bios version of 1.2 and there is no support for booting from the Ultra M.2 drive.

the X99 Extreme4 has bios version through 2.0 adding in support to boot from the Ultra M.2 drive.

When is NMVE support going to be added to the Extreme4/3.1 ?

All of the 3.1 versions of ASRock's X99 boards have NVMe support, including use of NVMe SSDs as the OS drive.

I wish this was documented better than it is, but I can't control that.

The ASRock X99 3.1 version boards are new models that incorporate all the UEFI/BIOS updates applied to the earlier, non-3.1 versions. That includes NVMe support.

If we check the date of the UEFI updates that adds NVMe support to the non-3.1 X99 version boards, we can see it is before the date of the initial UEFI version of the X99 3.1 version boards.

Using any PCIe SSD as the boot drive requires configuring a setting in the UEFI, as well as installing Windows ina certain way. Also, since NVMe SSDs are not SATA drives, they won't be listed along with the SATA drives in the Storage Configuration screen, but appear in the boot order and in the System Browser tool.
Butuc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 7:07pm
I cancelled my order and I am switching to a different manufacturer.
Butuc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 6:19pm
I also bought this MB to find out it has no NVME support. ASrock could you clarify it please?
Joe America View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe America Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 9:31am
I apparently made the mistake of purchasing the 4/3.1 instead of the plain 4.

the X99 Extreme4/3.1 only has a bios version of 1.2 and there is no support for booting from the Ultra M.2 drive.

the X99 Extreme4 has bios version through 2.0 adding in support to boot from the Ultra M.2 drive.

When is NMVE support going to be added to the Extreme4/3.1 ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic