ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Pro4S Bios Versions and USB Hardware Fail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cctfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Pro4S Bios Versions and USB Hardware Fail
    Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 8:42pm
Hey Community,
since my Z170 Pro4S is new and I am experiencing problems, I check weekly for bios upgrades and recently installed 2.30. Now I found out that the 2.30 version has been removed from the download section, instead, only 2.10 and 1.90 are displayed.

My problem with 1.90 and 2.30 was/is that my USB hardware fails to start occasionally (ca. 1/20 attemps to start). This applies to keyboard and mouse (so I can exclude any brand related failures), even in the bios itself (so I can exclude a Windows failure). Plugging it out and in again helps but this can't be an adequate solution.

Furthermore, sometimes my PC won't start at all (ca. 1/40 attemps to start). Only a CMOS reset via removing the battery for a cupple of minutes helps. Again, this is very frustrating.

I am unable to reproduce these failures by purpose, they just seem to happen when they like to.

3 Questions:
- Is it possible that this is fixed in bios version 2.10 and would it be possible to downgrade from 2.30?
- Is there anything else I can do to fix these failures?
- What's the reason the 2.30 got removed, should I be worried that I got it installed?

Thanks a lot!
cctfer
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 9:22pm
1. Yes, downgrade is possible - via Instant Flash (on an USB stick, Formated FAT32, F6 during POST)
2. It could be an OS issue too
3. Only ASRock TSD knows that
990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 4:03pm
If a UEFI/BIOS version was removed from the download list, that means it had at least one issue that was significant enough to cause its removal.  Given the huge number of possible problems a UEFI/BIOS could have, instead of worrying about it just flash to an earlier version.

Software is surprisingly difficult to create and maintain. I know Intel has removed at least one version of its IRST software every year from their download page, after it was officially released. They did that recently with a version that was released to mother board manufactures, and included on the download pages of many mother boards.
cctfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cctfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 8:39pm
Thanks for your answers!
When I wanted to download 2.10 it turned out that 2.40 got released today so I'll give it a try.

Just curious though, how can this be an os issue if these failures occur in bios too?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 1:17am
Well, I never said that your USB problem is related to the OS. By the way, what OS are you using? We have no idea.

When you said you have USB hardware failures, I assume that means your mouse and/or keyboard don't work when in the UEFI/BIOS?

Are you using the Fast Boot option?

Your board has only USB 3.0 ports on the IO panel. Do you have the mouse and keyboard connected to the USB 3.0 ports?

I've noticed on several of my ASRock boards, that right after a UEFI/BIOS clear, my wireless mouse and keyboard won't work in the UEFI. That is normal in my experience, and they work fine after the PC boots into the OS after the UEFI clear.

Why that happens I don't completely understand, but IMO is not an issue with the board.
cctfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cctfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 9:23pm
Sorry, it's Windows 10 Education.

Yes, when the keyboard isn't working I can't get to the UEFI of cause but that happens very rarely, ca. 1/100 attempts. Well, I just noticed this one time and I'm not even sure if I wasn't too late to get to the UEFI so this might actually be an OS issue when the keyboard fails. All I can say for sure is that my mouse sometimes isn't working and this also applies to the UEFI, so I thought this might be a motherboard issue. I didn't clear the UEFI.

I'm not using the Fast Boot option, but made some other changes in the UEFI:
Onboard LAN Disabled
Onboard HD Audio Disabled
Good Night LED Enabled
All fans on silent mode

Yes, all hardware is connect to the USB 3.0 back ports via cable. I'm not using any front ports.

Thank you for your help, but maybe I have to investigate this a bit further. I'm still not sure when and why this is happening so I know it's hard to help. I just thought that maybe this is known or maybe there are others who had the same problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic