ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with disabling SMT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0C_Monk3y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 12:48pm
Wohoo! They fixed it!

I put the wrong USB in when I said I had the latest (that one had my BIOS updates for my Asrock X399 board, not the X370). Haha, no wonder it didn't update and said it was the newest. The BIOS you have is indeed defective (I know this feature was broken since at least April of 2019, but version 5.5 fixed its issue with SMT enable/disable). Unfortunately now the BIOS looks like some static pixelated garbage instead of the cool looking red classic/original one, so that's kind of annoying, but you at least know its updated.

Due note, this BIOS specifically says "ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system." so who knows if my 2200g is going to work anymore but my 1700 is working fine from looking at the thread count, hopefully I can overclock higher (for games that only run on 8 threads and single GPU I use my testbench, otherwise its Threadripper and quad Xfire for most).

Performance comparison at 4.2 Ghz:
16 threads gave me 1800cb R15
8 threads gave me 1301cb R15
So hopefully I can hit a bit higher frequency with the lower temp since my chip is super picky about temp for stabililty (and trash overclocking). Beyond 15c core temp adding voltage is just bad and makes it unstable. Crossing the voltage vs temp stability curve, colder is better than more voltage)

Good luck!
"If its not icing over, then you're not overclocking!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic