ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450M Pro4 - PBO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfollett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450M Pro4 - PBO
    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 3:57am
I'm not sure if I'm just not setting up Precision Boost Overdrive correctly or my Bios version is to blame but when I enable PBO in the bios, the computer won't post and I have to do a bios reset. In bios setup I went into:
>Advanced
>AMD CBS
>NBIO Common Options
>Precision Boost Overdrive - ENABLE.

Currently my bios version is 3.80 which isn't even available for download. The download site lists versions 3.60 and 3.90. Both aren't recommended for Ryzen 2000 series CPUs so I suspect my 3.80 isn't recommended either(I have a 2600x).

Before I was even trying PBO I'd contacted ASRock support about whether I should downgrade my bios to v3.50(the last bios without a "Not Recommended" tag) but they said to I could leave it at v3.80. I'd read that these later bios releases were tweaking the AGESA for 3000 series chips and could hurt performance for earlier chips and on at least one site I read there was a version that broke PBO for the earlier chips. So questions are: Am I setting up PBO incorrectly, or is my bios version to blame and should I go against ASRock supports recommendation and downgrade to v3.50.

Thanks,

Bob
bfollett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfollett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:32am
(bump) Anyone? One last shot at a forum response before trying to contact Asrock support
rudyzhou2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudyzhou2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 8:04am
same issue here with same mb and Ryzen 2600x. Did you end up figuring out how to get PBO to work?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 8:15am
same board with a ryzen 1600 AF (its a 2600 in disgiuse)

i use version 3.9 its stable with no issues
my friend has same board and bios with his 2600x no issues

as for the pbo

well mines not set 1600af

and he dosnt like any form of overclocking so hasnt set his

have you tried ryzen master to enable it ?

im not sure if using ryzen master works in windows for that though
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
TheTrojan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheTrojan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:04pm
Hi All,

I have built several PCs with the ASRock B450M Pro4 and when using Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series CPUs I have found the following.

Best overclock achieved with bios version 3.5

Periodic crashing with bios versions greater than 3.5 and PBO enabled.

I suggest you ensure you have bios version 3.5 for these CPUs.

I used to ignore the ASRock warning regarding bioses after 3.5 but after several issues with OCing and PBO I now only install versions greater than 3.5 with a 3000 series CPU.

Similar result for the B450M Steel Legend.
Computer engineer and all round nerd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic