ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 970 Extreme 3 randomly restarting without warning
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970 Extreme 3 randomly restarting without warning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970 Extreme 3 randomly restarting without warning
    Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 2:59pm
So I've been having some reoccurring issues with my pc randomly restarting despite no warnings. It simply happens from time to time, sometimes I go weeks without problems and sometimes it happens a few times a day. Of note, it doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing: browsing the web, playing games, or even just idling without anything running in the background. I'm not the most tech savvy but I've been seriously looking into this and I'm just looking for a helping hand, so any feedback is appreciated. Current system specs are:
CPU: AMD FX-6350
GPU: Radeon XFX Radeon R9 280
RAM: 2x Corsair 4GB DDR3
Please let me know if you need any more details and thank you for your time!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 3:08pm
When there is a random restart what do your event logs say? Whenever there is a crash or freeze, usually windows will make a log that details what went wrong unless it was a sudden power loss and there wasn't time.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 3:47pm
With the machine randomly shutting down the usual culprit, in order, is the PSU and then memory. Neither will cause an entry into the Event Log.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:29pm
Yup and the absence of a log will attest to that Wink A nice quick and simple way of ruling out software/driver issues. In this case you usually want there to be a log as if there isn't one you have hardware woes, usually PSU. Sadly it is most often not software or drivers with this kind of issue. Thermals can also cause a shut down but unless there is a random process firing off when the system is idle and shooting up CPU usage that is unlikely given the description of the problem.

Let us know what you find or don't find.

Edited by Xaltar - 31 Dec 2015 at 5:32pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:32pm
Yea, Log entries ARE nice ..... but in  their absence .....
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:35pm
Exactly, in the absence of, try another PSU then RAM if the issue persists. Reseating RAM is a good idea regardless. 

Good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic