ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4 - Booting live-usb refi issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme4 - Booting live-usb refi issues
    Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 6:49am
Hi guys, 
I have been one day struggling to install ubuntu along with my windows10 on my MOBO.

I tried everything and it has been impossible to startup the usb live stick in UEFI mode ( both from usb 2.0 and 3.0 )

I created the usb with RUFUS , specifically to run in UEFI.
When it starts , first show the ubuntu menu, then I am able to select to install.
It starts loading and then after a while :

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system ....

If i run the boot usb in legacy mode it works, but after ubuntu installation I can not boot ubuntu in any way  :(

please give me any advice, I start to think the problem is in the MOBO, but I am still puzzling ....
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 11:17am
Well, in Windows land we do either one of two things to get a USB installation media recognized for UEFI installations.

The first thing is to go into the CSM option, and set the Launch Storage OpROM Policy to UEFI Only. This does not require the video source to be GOP compatible, a UEFI protocol.

The second thing is to set the CSM option to Disabled. That enables full UEFI booting and requires the video source to be GOP compatible. The Intel integrated graphics and VBIOS are GOP compatible. Most newer video cards have a GOP compatible VBIOS, but it is always advisable to check that with video card manufacture. All I know with certainty is all EVGA sourced video cards since the Nvidia 700 series are GOP compatible. That is also why I use them exclusively.

In the Boot order list, if the UEFI is configured correctly, your USB flash drive should appear with the prefix "UEFI". The USB flash drive will appear as, "UEFI: <flash drive name>".

I don't know if you've installed Windows 10 in UEFI mode.

Few if any ASRock boards officially support Ubuntu or Linux. Do you know if Ubuntu will work with the Intel EFI Option ROMs that are part of the board's UEFI?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 11:53am
Disable Secure Boot in the BIOS and what happens? Wink
aleben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 8:43pm
I have secure boot disabled in the UEFI MOBO config.
I had disabled CSM and enabled.
In both the situations I can select to start the USB from UEFI ( with CSM disabled, I can only startup it in UEFI mode) .
I see the initial screen, I select the functionalities, then  when it starts loading the image it fails with the error.
I could try to change the pen drive ( it is 64gb) , not sure if could be the pen drive.

I have installed windows 10 in uefi mode ( i can see the efi partition ) .
I know ubuntu is uefi compatible :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

I hope it is a pen drive issue, really worried about a mob issue :(

aleben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 7:12pm
[SOLVED]
I finally succeeded !!!
There was a really hidden configuration MOBO side, under advanced, USB ports configurations.
In there you can configure both MOBO Usb ports and third party ports ( the case ones for example) .

The MOBO ones were by default set in legacy mode ( so they were not able to start UEFI live USB systems) .
I changed that to be UEFI and I was able to boot ubuntu from the USB stick from the MOBO usb 2.0 ports.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic