ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painfully slow memory speed on a new B550 ITX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painfully slow memory speed on a new B550 ITX
    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 2:47pm
Hi guys,

Something's wrong with my brand new B550 ITX board - it's very very slow!

I got:
- a brand new rig built slower than my 5 year old laptop (see commands I ran to benchmark below)
- I now replaced the CPU, mobo, and memory with exactly the same model replacements - no parts are faulty
- I updated BIOS to v2.1
- In BIOS' XMP setting I can choose either Auto or XMP Profile DDR4-3400 with no difference observed
- If I chose Auto XMP Settings the mobo auto detects all memories I tried as 2,400MHz even though I tried 2,666, 3,200 and 3.600. Something sticky is there.

Benchmarked read/write speeds:
THIS RIG ->                             - 3.3GB/s
Supermicro + Xeon E-2226G           - 6.6GB/s
Old laptop + Intel Core i5-8250U - 4.5GB/s

It feels there's some sort of problem with hardware/BIOS but I'm not a hardware guy, so I tweaked around but nothing seems to work. The only not officially compatible part is an SSD, but I cannot see how it would make any difference for the memory test.

I would really appreciate any help - I'm kinda at the point of getting a different motherboard make and model.

THE SETUP:
------------

All parts are compatible with B550 Phanto Gaming ITX/AX mobo as per:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXax/index.asp#MemoryRN
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXax/index.asp#CPU

- Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G
- Hyperx Predator 16x2 - HX432C16PB3K/32
- B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

THE BENCHMARK:
---------------
sudo mkdir -p /mnt/test1
sudo mount -t tmpfs /mnt/test1 /mnt/test1
free
df -h -t tmpfs
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/test1/test bs=1M
    Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 9:03am
    I'm not that familiar with Linux, but I do have an Asrock motherboard with Win 10, 64GB RAM, 1 TB boot SSD M.2 PCIe Gen 4, another 1 TB on the second M.2 PCIe Gen 4 slot, and 4 TB on one SATA port, a Blu-Ray ROM on another SATA port. I have X570 Creator with a Ryzen 5950X. The RAM is corsair something with XMP 3600.

It looks like you are testing disk I/O. I wouldn't expect RAM speed to make major differences with disk I/O speeds.

You can try disabling the XMP profile and setting the DRAM speed and voltage manually. Remember that the DRAM speed should be exactly twice the speed of the CPU memory fetch. So a speed of 3400 would have a CPU memory clock of 1700. And you also want to be sure the RAM is in the proper slots.
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic