ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z77 Extreme4 - No graphics card possible in PCIe2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Extreme4 - No graphics card possible in PCIe2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindhai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z77 Extreme4 - No graphics card possible in PCIe2
    Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 5:28am
Z77 Extreme4 - No graphics card possible in PCIe2 (the upper 16x PCIe)

Hello,

i have a problem: I can't use my graphics card (R280X) in my Z77 Extreme4 Mainboard in the upper PCIe 16x Slot aka PCIe2. In the lower slot aka PCIe3 i can use it, but the question is: Why?

When i install my or any other graphics card in PCIe2, my PC doesnt start. Even if i reset the cmos, it doesnt start i.e. there is no picture and the PC is stuck when the fans are running full on and there is no windows start in the background.

Perhaps someone can give me a hint, what i could try to do or where the problem could be.

Specs:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 with P2.90 Bios
Intel 3570k
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte R280X
2x SSD
Power Supply BeQuiet 550Watt
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 1:21pm
A video card should work in the PCIE2 slot, unless something is damaged, more on that later.

You are using an Ivy Bridge processor, so you have PCIe 3.0 support.

To review the UEFI/BIOS configuration; In the North Bridge Configuration screen, Primary Graphics Adapter should be set to PCI Express.

PCIE 2 Link Speed option, set it to Gen 3 if set to Auto by default. If it is set to Gen 3 by default, try Auto.

You can also try setting the IGP Multi-Monitor option to Disabled, even if that is not supposed to matter unless you are using Vista or XP.

When you have the video card in the PCIE2 slot, and the PC fails to start, what code is displayed on the Dr Debug display, on the lower edge of the board, to the right of center?

Damage that could cause this, bent pins in the CPU socket or damage to the PCIE2 slot. You must remove the CPU cooler and CPU to check for bent pins in the socket, a lot of work but no other way to check that.

Damage to the PCIE2 slot itself may be difficult to see. Cleaning the contacts in the slot can fix video card detection problems. Use a flashlight to check the gold contacts within the slot, they should all look the same, and none missing. The PCIE3 x 16 slot is an x8 lane electrical slot, and has fewer contacts in it than the PCIE2 X16 slot, which is an x16 electrical slot.

Connection pins for the PCIE and PCI slots may be sticking out on the underside of the mother board. If any of them are shorted together, or shorted to the mother board tray or a standoff on the tray, that could cause the failure of the PC to start.
blindhai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindhai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:49am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

To review the UEFI/BIOS configuration; In the North Bridge Configuration screen, Primary Graphics Adapter should be set to PCI Express.
...was set to PCIe.

Quote PCIE 2 Link Speed option, set it to Gen 3 if set to Auto by default. If it is set to Gen 3 by default, try Auto.
...was set to Auto, now to Gen3...but no change.

Quote You can also try setting the IGP Multi-Monitor option to Disabled, even if that is not supposed to matter unless you are using Vista or XP.
...was already set to Disabled, because i didnt want to share my RAM. :)

Quote When you have the video card in the PCIE2 slot, and the PC fails to start, what code is displayed on the Dr Debug display, on the lower edge of the board, to the right of center?
The error is "D6", what i have seen means "D6 - No console output device found".

I have tried another GPU (a 7970), and after the first CMOS reset, i could boot up the pc, i could configurate the bios. I then replaced the gpu with my r280x and had the D6 again. And then back again to the 7970 and D6 again. After each replacement i have resetted the CMOS with the switch.
Perhaps there is loose connection, but i couldnt figure out where it is...yet.

Quote Damage that could cause this, bent pins in the CPU socket or damage to the PCIE2 slot. You must remove the CPU cooler and CPU to check for bent pins in the socket, a lot of work but no other way to check that.
checked, but there was everything ok.

[/QUOTE]Damage to the PCIE2 slot itself may be difficult to see. Cleaning the contacts in the slot can fix video card detection problems. Use a flashlight to check the gold contacts within the slot, they should all look the same, and none missing. The PCIE3 x 16 slot is an x8 lane electrical slot, and has fewer contacts in it than the PCIE2 X16 slot, which is an x16 electrical slot.[/QUOTE]
I couldnt see there any problems. I have cleaned with a smooth brush, so i do no damage to the electronics. Does that mean my GPU doesnt work at 100%? Do i have less graphic power?

Quote Connection pins for the PCIE and PCI slots may be sticking out on the underside of the mother board. If any of them are shorted together, or shorted to the mother board tray or a standoff on the tray, that could cause the failure of the PC to start.
I will check that on the weekend.

Thank you for your help so far! :)

Edited by blindhai - 23 Apr 2016 at 2:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic