ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Memory upgrade issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobbleybabbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Memory upgrade issues
    Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 8:20am
Hi,

I have purchased a new set of memory sticks and am having issues booting. I have not reset the BIOS yet, FYI. When the new sticks are installed the screen remains blank, I have given it 5-10 minutes to load with no luck. Upon replacing with my original RAM it loads fine. Memory is certified by G Skill to work on my MOBO. I am assuming I should reset the BIOS. Or should I just give it some time?

http://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1571733948/F4-3200C16D-64GVK
Cobbleybabbins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobbleybabbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 8:27am
Also it is a AsRock B550 Phantom gaming 4AC
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobbleybabbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 8:33am
However, upon reading the supported memory modules on ASrock website, I do not see that specific module listed. Anyone?
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 9:37am
Due to differences in specs, not all memory is compatible with different systems. It's kinda a hit-and-miss. If you can enter the bios settings, reset to defaults and try again. You may have to go through the battery removal process also. You may have to install the old memory, clear the cmos settings, shut down, install the new memory and restart.

Edited by RLGL - 29 Oct 2022 at 9:39am
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobbleybabbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 10:02am
Yeah, that is what I expected. Here is a question that is more specific. Currently I have a Ryzen5 5600G which is Cezanne Core, does the memory architecture have to be compatible with the Processor architechture? I am planning to upgrade to a Ryzen3950X which is Matisse. i am going to return the RAM and go with QVL ram. Just trying to plan my RAM purchase based around the new processor.

Thanks
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 9:42pm
Yes, you need to pick your RAM based on the CPU. The IMC is on the CPU these days
so it plays a large roll in RAM compatibility.

If you are going to be using a Matisse CPU then you will want to look for RAM from
this QVL page:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550%20Phantom%20Gaming%204ac/index.asp#MemoryMS
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobbleybabbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 1:11pm
Perfect. Thanks everyone. Questions resolved.

Best

C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic