ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't seem to enable VT-x

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't seem to enable VT-x
    Posted: 01 May 2016 at 5:19pm
I'm using a Z170 Extreme6+ with a Core i7-6700K. No OC other than XMP.

If I enable Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> Intel Virtualization Technology in the BIOS, VT-x comes up as "not supported" in Windows, however if I disable the same setting, it's reported as "supported but disabled". This happens on both P2.00 and P2.50.

I'm using HWiNFO64 and VirtualBox for testing. Is there something I'm missing? My goal is to have both VT-x and VT-d.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 5:37pm
According to intel the feature is supported - Core i7-6700k. I see no mention of VT-x in the user manual for your board however, only VT-d. I then looked at the Z170 chipset features and noted it seems to lack VT-x support or at least it is not mentioned. It may be that the feature comes from the CPU though, as it seems none of the Skylake chipsets list VT-x support, not even the "Q" series. 

I would fire off a support request to ASRock directly.
lorash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 3:27am
I tried contacting support but I never got the autoreply email. :( I tried several different addresses and after none worked I ended up here. Do ASRock employees read this forum?
lorash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 3:24am
Never mind, they replied, it was just the original mail that was lost :)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 4:31am
Thanks for letting us know. We have fired off a query about the autoreply issue.
lorash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 2:17pm
The trick was to disable Hyper-V in Windows (search "Turn Windows Features on or off" in Start, untick Hyper-V, reboot) in case anyone stumbles upon this thread in the future. VT-x is now being detected correctly.
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic