ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock B450 Steel Legend - NVME support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PatrickL84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock B450 Steel Legend - NVME support
    Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 5:14pm
Hello,
i am using a B450 Steel Legend Board, AM4 Ryzen5 3600, 16GB RAM, RTX 2080 8GB

PCIE1 (PCIe 3.0 x16 slot): RTX 2080 GPU
PCIE4 (PCIe 3.0 x16 slot): LAN 10GBE Mellanox Connect X3 (x4 Mode)
PCIE5 (PCIe 2.0 x1 slot): SATA Controller Card, 6 Port
M2_2 NVME Sandisk Extreme Pro.M2 500GB
M2_1 occupied, because using 10GBE Card in PCIE4 will be disabled

4 of 6 SATA3 Ports connected to SATA-HDD, SATA3_4 SATA3_3 disabled because using M2_2 Slot --> in this configuration all devices were working without problems.

now i bought an WD Black SN770 2TB SSD to upgrade the 500GB Sandisk --> WD Black isnt show up in UEFI,
i noticed that there are "pin missmatch issues with some Boards:
see: https://pg.asrock.com/support/qa/Limited%20Support%20SSD%20List.pdf

In the first line the B450 Steel Legend is written, with "limited support" for some M2 SSD (SN770 is in the list)
that means that those M2 SSD are not working completely or working, but with speed limitations?
I considered to change to B550 chipset, but perheps this will not solving my problem.

Finally i need a motherboard wich is working with RTX2080, 10GBE ethernet card (x4 Mode), SATA controller (x1 Mode), 4 useable SATA Ports onboard, and one or two NVMEs
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 5:22pm
Dear PatrickL84,
Thank you for the posting.

For this case, due to hardware limitations, WD SN770 can only be supported on M2_2 slot of B450 Steel Legend.
Please update the BIOS to version 4.60 and refer to the following steps to try.
1. Please update the BIOS to 4.60 through Instant Flash.
BIOS 4.60: https://download.asrock.com/BIOS/AM4/B450%20Steel%20Legend(4.60)ROM.zip
Instant Flash: https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS10
2. Boot into BIOS setup and go to Advanced\Storage Configuration, then set ?œForce M2_2 to support PCIe type device??to ?œYes??
3. Press ?œF10??key to save configuration changes.

Thank you

Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
Rattattastisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattattastisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 6:09am
Hi guys,
I had the same problem with the ssd and did all of the steps but nothing worked can u help me pls
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Rattattastisch Rattattastisch wrote:

Hi guys,
I had the same problem with the ssd and did all of the steps but nothing worked can u help me pls

if nothing works, then use PCIe M2 adapter, or different drive or different mainboard
ekinskofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekinskofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 1:31pm
I have the same issue. I'm was going to update to a new bios but it says that "ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if you are going to use Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU on your system." I have the 2700X. What are the consequences of updating my bios while running this CPU? Should I update or just return this NVME and get a different one? What do you all recommend for 2TB to run in these mobos? Many thanks.
Movethis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Movethis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 8:42am
I have a Asrock B450 Steel Legend with a AMD Ryzen 5 3600. I am trying to put a WD SN850X NVMe in my machine. Does the board support this hard drive and do do I need to update the BIOS? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic