ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Networking Products
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

My AsRock Rack ALTRAD8UD was DOA :(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydraulix989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My AsRock Rack ALTRAD8UD was DOA :(
    Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 8:54am
Hi! My Ampere Altra Q64-22 + AsRock Rack ALTRAD8UD does not POST or power on.

I've stripped the board of everything but two sticks of known-good RAM and the CPU. I've also tried two known-working power supplies. I also tried manually clearing the CMOS. I also measured the CMOS battery, and it's reading 3V DC, as expected.

IPMI via OpenBMC works fine, I get a ping and can open the web UI, but the Power status in the web UI is "unknown" no matter what I do, with the CPU installed in the motherboard. Every sensor and health check in the web UI passes. I just cannot get it to power on no matter what I do (even tried manually bridging the front panel connector power pins), and there's no VGA output no matter what I do.

As an experiment, I even removed the CPU. Interestingly enough, the CPU health check passes with the CPU removed, AND interestingly enough, the Power status now goes to "green".

At this point, it's either the board or the CPU that is DOA. How can I further diagnose this? Is there anything I can do to help repair this at this point???

I really just want a working Ampere build, this is so disappointing to spend $1500 on parts, and it doesn't work. I thank you in advance for and really appreciate any help...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 4:42pm
Check the CPU contacts, both in the socket and on the CPU itself. It sounds like
something is shorting in the socket. It could be a simple case of an improperly
installed CPU. Make sure you have even pressure on all the mounting screws, not too
tight either, they don't like to be torqued down too much as it can cause shorts.
anernest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anernest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 10:46am
Curious if you resolved this? I have the same issue on two separate ALTRAD8UD-1L2T boards. So far I've only tried to power it with a psu, but will try with 12V power
mestrade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mestrade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 10:32pm
Curious too if it was solved, I have exactly the same issue :/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic