ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - x670e - Can't get 1070ti's working in pci 5.0 slot
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x670e - Can't get 1070ti's working in pci 5.0 slot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7900x670e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 10:54pm
I just got my RTX 4060ti 16gb and it works fine in the pcie 5.0 slot.
Now benchmarking. Looks like just a minor +36% increase in FPS for 470 euro compared to the 1070ti's, but that's a whole other discussion.

Originally posted by inline4 inline4 wrote:

Here is a post by someone with the same motherboard, they had graphics card issues starting in BIOS version 2.0 but earlier versions worked better for them.
Not sure if you have tried one of the earlier versions.

https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=27061&title=blank-screen-whern-cold-booting-with-2-0-and-2-02

Thanks for finding that but unfortunately I had the exact same problem running out of the box firmware v1.28. That's why I upgraded to v2.02

Anyway, the good thing is, I know the gtx 1050ti and a new 40xx series RTX card works just flawless in this pcie 5.0 slot. So I guess the motherboard is fine ?

The bad thing is, I'm going to need to find a way to change the location of the psu, so I can put the GTX 1070ti in the lower pcie 3.0 slot, until I buy a newer videocard in the future.

For the rest I think I'm out of options now. I like the steel legend x670e in many ways, so a bummer to have to use this unexpected workaround until upgrading. I've been searching for/trying out different solutions for over a month now.
7900x670e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7900x670e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 10:04pm
Several weeks later, I purchased an ASUS RX 7800 XT TUF videocard since I wanted a better gaming card anyway.

I get always crashes/freeze screens after a few minutes, can't even play Rocket League. Very strange behaviour aswell. The first 15 seconds I started a game before freezing the FPS was 15-60 everywhere, glitching like crazy. Then freeze, then full green screen or black.

I hot switched the HDMI cable to the igpu and got image again. That seems to be working always, even when the dedicated videocard in the pci 5.0 slot stops working. So windows itselfs isn't crashing, only the videocard/driver/pci 5.0 hardware.
7900x670e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7900x670e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 11:12am
Important info I might have not mentioned, all tests are done via HDMI, not the display ports. But that shouldn't matter much imho, just 60hz frame capping while gaming.

Extra info for previous post, I haven't used any AMD dedicated gfx card before on these systems. When installing the RX7800xt drivers on the 7900x system it noticed it already had radeon drivers for the iGPU but mentioned an update, which I installed.

I retested the RX 7800xt in the pci 3.0 slot on the x670e steel legend, which did work (completing benchmarks + gaming), but had some weird GPU spikes just sitting idle on the desktop with taskmanager open. I saw a video just now about the AMD adrenalin software doing both game recording and continues desktop screen recording, which makes it draw 100+ Watts all the time, maybe this explains the weird behaviour. Needs to be unchecked in the adrenalin settings apparently, but I did not get to that before dismantling the system.

To double check the RX 7800xt is fine I installed it in my old win10 i7 4770 32gb ram (4x8) system in the pcie 3.0 slot. Not using AMD adrenalin software, just only installed the AMD newest driver.
It worked fine, not sure if it was bottlenecked much by the cpu/mobo/ram, the rx7800xt crushed the 1070ti in compute but FPS wasn't (yet) doubled which is my goal. The most important part was it performed every task without any problem, benchmarking (unigen 4.0, cinebench 2024 GPU, passmark 2d & 3d). Zero glitches and no weird behaviour, so I guess this videocard is not a problem.

The steel legend x670e motherboard is now back at the store, from which it will be send to Asrock (hi, if you're reading this) to check if it is user (bios) error or a hardware default which can be fixed or replaced with a new board. I will respond in a few weeks when I know more.

Recap:
Videocards that worked (gaming + benchmarks) in pcie 5.0 slot: RTX 4060 ti 16gb, GTX 1050 ti
Videocards that did not work (gaming + benchmarks) in pcie 5.0 slot: 2x GTX 1070ti, RX 7800xt

The biggest difference I can think of is powerdraw, or something. But every videocard got dedicated power from sufficient PSU's all the time and all videocards work fine in my old system.
7900x670e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7900x670e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 11:29am
My (possible) bad, I remember I forgot to reset the bios when installing the RX7800xt, if that would make any difference. But the last videocard in the system was the RTX 4060ti 16gb, which did work and is also a pcie 4.0 card.
7900x670e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7900x670e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 12:37am
Solved ! One tiny bend pin (BD 3) on the cpu slot, which controls pcie.

I got an email from the store, I can go pick it up. Both myself and the guy from the store who took the board in did not see any bent pins at first glance, but rechecking my own photo's from the first day just before building I can see a different glare on the lower left pin. Did not know it was a bend, because it is so small. This was before I inserted the CPU.

Glad it got resolved fast. I know motherboard manufacturers weren't happy the pins were moved from the cpu to the motherboard, being fragile this way
7900x670e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7900x670e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 12:46am
inline4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inline4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 2:34am
Wow, good news that it is now working.

When I get an AM5 motherboard I shall have to get the magnifying glass out for checks before starting the build.
7900x670e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7900x670e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 3:42am
when looking for bend pins posts I found another one on reddit with the same motherboard and videocard problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/15r7dfn/x670e_steel_legend_not_detecting_graphics_card/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic