ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Memory only works in two slots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spydox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Memory only works in two slots
    Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 10:12pm
I have ASROCK Z170 PRO4 v 7.50

If I add DDR4 to either , or both of the 2 slots closest to the CPU, system boots, and everything is OK . But this is highly undesirable because its not in DDR mode. and I can't use all four slots.

If I add a stick to either or both of the other two slots, the system will not post. It just sits there doing nothing forever, but I can sorta hear the CPU fan surging.

I've tried the same two sticks that worked in the first two slots in the others, so I know my memory is OK.

Ideas? TYVM

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 11:29pm
Have you tried reseating your CPU? While you have it out of the system check the
CPU for any warping/bending of the substrate (the green PCB). Intel switched to
a thinner substrate with the release of Skylake and it had a nasty habit of warping
when too much mounting pressure was applied by the CPU cooler. Some critical
memory controller connections (contact pads) on the CPU are located on the outer corners.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic